Community Member

Default imbues and multiclassing

I've never been one for the whole multiclass thing, preferring pure builds.

I've experimented in the past with a Bartilock (Bard/Artificer/Warlock), the question I have is what would be a good class split to mesh these 3 classes together with the Imbues to get the maximum possible effectiveness?

Almost predictably, it's not that simple.

You can get imbue dice from classes, enhancement trees, even races. So it all has to dovetail together to find the synergy you're looking for. And not all imbues work with all attack forms (melee, ranged, caster, etc.); some are even limited to specific weapon types.

Here's a list:

o https://ddowiki.com/page/Imbue#Imbues

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Warlocks got very little from the new imbue mechanics: Spiritual Retribution is a d6 light imbue; Celestial Spirit form (Enlightened Spirit core 18) adds +3 Imbue dice. If you're playing, say, a Vistani `lock you probably gained a little bit more melee DPS, but not exactly a build-shaking improvement.

Bard has two imbue options: Resonant Arms (d6 Sonic while Swashbuckling) and Iced Edges (d6 Cold). Warchanter cores grant a max of +5 Imbue dice (including capstone); +1 Imbue die from Music Box (Swashbuckling with a Rune Arm).

Artificer: Thundershock is a d6 Electric Imbue; +4 Imbue dice with Runearm equipped from Battle Engineer (Agility Engine + Unlock Potential); Greater Elemental Weapons (level 4 Arty spell) is +2 Imbue dice.

Of the classes mentioned, I think your best option is pairing Inquisitive with Artificer like this build. If you don't need the benefits of barb splash (Blood Strength, extra runspeed, etc.), then you could splash rogue 2 instead. Imbue dice from class / Enhancement bonuses should cap out at +15 dice.
    • +7 dice from Inquisitive (41 APs)
    • +3 dice from Agility Engine (23 APs)
    • +3 dice from Toxin Affinity (8 APs)
    • +2 dice from Greater Elemental Weapons

Leaving enough APs to grab Know the Angles.

If you're not wedded to Artificer, Alchemist 18 / rogue 2 can pick up a few more Imbue dice via Vile Chemist instead.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Warlocks got very little from the new imbue mechanics: Spiritual Retribution is a d6 light imbue; Celestial Spirit form (Enlightened Spirit core 18) adds +3 Imbue dice. If you're playing, say, a Vistani `lock you probably gained a little bit more melee DPS, but not exactly a build-shaking improvement.

Bard has two imbue options: Resonant Arms (d6 Sonic while Swashbuckling) and Iced Edges (d6 Cold). Warchanter cores grant a max of +5 Imbue dice (including capstone); +1 Imbue die from Music Box (Swashbuckling with a Rune Arm).

Artificer: Thundershock is a d6 Electric Imbue; +4 Imbue dice with Runearm equipped from Battle Engineer (Agility Engine + Unlock Potential); Greater Elemental Weapons (level 4 Arty spell) is +2 Imbue dice.

Of the classes mentioned, I think your best option is pairing Inquisitive with Artificer like this build. If you don't need the benefits of barb splash (Blood Strength, extra runspeed, etc.), then you could splash rogue 2 instead. Imbue dice from class / Enhancement bonuses should cap out at +15 dice.
    • +7 dice from Inquisitive (41 APs)
    • +3 dice from Agility Engine (23 APs)
    • +3 dice from Toxin Affinity (8 APs)
    • +2 dice from Greater Elemental Weapons

Leaving enough APs to grab Know the Angles.

If you're not wedded to Artificer, Alchemist 18 / rogue 2 can pick up a few more Imbue dice via Vile Chemist instead.

I will have to disagree with you on the warlock gains little from imbues. With filigrees feats etc I was able to get to 20 imbue dice on a SWF Enlightened spirit. These were light damage which is resisted by almost nothing, and they scaled off of my 1000ish light spellpower on not only my SWF 45% attack speed but also AOE for my bursts and aura. it was very effective with Esper as the weapon. Bard would be good also with the sonic as it also scaled off of spellpower, however their handful of extra dice does not offset the dmg from bursts and aura.

edit: as this is in the multiclass forum...I see that my argument may fall a little, however it would be possible to make something work with 4 warlock splash for the light imbue, aura and 1 burst.
    Last edited by YTSEsoldier; 04-28-2023 at 07:38 PM.

Community Member

The strongest imbue is EK... kinda. The horrable BAB of Wiz/sorc and the lack of a bypass make it much less useful than other options; when you account for things other than just the damage from the imbue EK isn't that great.

When going as an Iconic you also have to consider the base class.
    It also matters how long you plan to stay at the upper level range/cap, and what your gear availability happens to be. It also matters what reaper level you plan to run on... things like Deflect arrows make a big difference in r10 questing, but aren't really that impactful in r6, and pretty trivial in r1.

It is also of note that Inquis Dual Shooting is worse than single shooting starting at level 26 LINK TO MATHS.

Artificer is very good if you plan to run 31+ and have the toon be fully geared... the rune arm for Skellies is very strong and helps fill sets, in addition to having the best attack speed option in the game currently, and 2d12 evil damage scaling at 200% ranged power is pretty much the same as +2 imbue dice(you can get +2d12 evil damage, +2d6 profane sneak attack, 20% ranged alac, alchemical acid dot proc, +3 profane doubleshot, and, um, something else of less obvious use). The rest of the levels a rune arm is nice but it isn't particularly strong either.

Overall Alchemist w/ Vile Chemist has the most synergy with Inquis... not having to put AP into getting a damage stat on the xbow and your imbue having a bypass attack.

IMO The best 31+ geared build for r10 questing is 16 alch / 2 arti / 2 monk...(35 shardi / 21 Legendary Dread) it is one imbue die less than 18 alch / 2 art but it gets deflect arrows, a bonus feat, and slightly better saves. Likewise 16 alch / 2 arti / 2 rog is stronger than the 18/2 in terms of damage, gaining 1 extra die and 1-3 extra SA dice.

Just going to 30 on r3 or less and TR'n with decent gear, you can do rather well with 6 arti / 2 rog / rest w/e. Arti has a d6 electric imbue... which isn't great, but with good spell power items it is plenty damage. You can also pick up an addition 10 DS and 3 dice in the t4 of BE, and 6 arti gives you Insightful Damage to let you get INTamage with your xbow without all the points dumped into Harper. 2 rog picks up another 3 imbue dice and evasion.
    Poppytop of Khyber; I have no alts. Sodapoppy, Poppydieslot, and Poppytart may never be seen in the same party as me but, I assure you, that is because of reasons other than their being alts.
    Come party with the Poppy! Join the BrattyTop flight!