Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is lotro fun?

I find LoTRO very fun and enjoyable.

It is quite a change of pace from DDO, much more kicked back and casual.

I don't really agree on it being grindy, way less grindy than DDO that is for sure, and if you are doing at level quests you can go from 1-140 pretty fast, take part in the festivals and learn the quick quests, those are easy XP. You can also use XP accelerators which help a lot.

I find LoTRO is great when you really want to submerge yourself in a great lore filled adventure, gameplay is a little different than DDO, I mean don't go into it thinking it is the same as DDO but with the LoTRO storyline, because it isn't, not even really close.

They are two very different games for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by LavidDynch View Post
    really? They are all super same - fetch 10 wolf and return mechanic.... this is one thing that DDO does WAAAAAY better then all others. The worst quest in DDO is better than the best one in WoW(lotro wanna be idol).. (they have better raids but ya ya)
    Well, I hear ya, but I also want to give props to MadeOfLions ond others who actually write these quests. It's not only about the situation (accept - fetch - return (or whatever)) , but how well theh writers use their 1) imagination and 2) freedom that is presented to them by the contract. Lotro seems to do that better, imo.

Default mouse look?

Do you still have to hold a button down to use mouse look?

Quote Originally Posted by Grindflayer View Post
    Well, I hear ya, but I also want to give props to MadeOfLions ond others who actually write these quests. It's not only about the situation (accept - fetch - return (or whatever)) , but how well theh writers use their 1) imagination and 2) freedom that is presented to them by the contract. Lotro seems to do that better, imo.
    DDO quests are far better than fetch quests

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    DDO quests are far better than fetch quests
    DDO has the luxury of adding elements, that are not available to Lotro, in the quests to make them more interesting (traps, better 3-dimensional environment, more puzzles etc.), but that doesn't really make the "find a lever - light up a crystal - proceed to the next trash fight" quest objectives any more ingenious. After playing for a few months, I was astounded by the fact that people are OK for doing the same quests over and over again, TR after TR. Then I realized it's the different character builds (+ the past life features) that make them bearable. Not the quests themselves, necessarily.

Lotro's fetch quests are usually part of a bigger quest arc; "while you are there, could you please get me 10 of these tree branches as well?". While I don't enjoy them that much myself, I took them as optional side quests while going for the main objective, which most of the time was well written, story-driven quest.

I see a lot of people talking about fetch in LoTRO. It's true, there is quite a bit, but there are definitely quests too, well instances is what they are called, a lot of them you might not be able to solo until you are over level quite a bit, they are fun to do just for a one time experience and quite challenging.

The thing that makes LoTRO a little complicated is efficiently running it.

There is a pretty big learning curve there as compared to DDO.

In LoTRO you are sent on 5-6 do this, do that quests, but while you are out doing them you can be putting a dent in your deeds as well, but LoTRO is massive, much larger than DDO I feel, and it can be very daunting trying to get done multiple things at a time just because of how complex the mapping is. Getting around LoTRO is a quest in itself, you will find multiple impassable barriers, or high ledges which you can either shortcut and be crippled temporarily or if it is to far of a leap, you will die.

LoTRO is really more of a flower sniffing game, at least I feel to fully enjoy it.

You can however make one character super powerful in just one 1-140 trip, there is no worrying about having to gain multiple TR's, so unless you want to make multiple characters, it really is not that bad of a grind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12