Default Looking for inquisitor wizard build

Hi all

I'm trying to knock out 3 deep gnome wizard lives and I have never played a wizard before so everything seems new and exciting. I know a bit about artificers so I thought I'd go 18 wizard/2 artificer and pew pew all the time but I am certain I am missing out on a ton of things.

For example, i didn't even know the EK imbues give you a dice every 3 wizard levels because it doesn't say so on the selection, only on the seperate imbues!

Is there a build out there or a video to give me advice? I like runearm for pew pew hence the 2 artificer (legendary lucid seems to work even on legendary elite)
    Bought my first dungeon master's guide in 1992. My favourite part of ddo is coffee and slayers

Question: are you intending to be a ranged build, with wiz as a base? Using Inquisitor? (Not perfectly clear from your post)

Quote Originally Posted by kmoustakas View Post
    I like runearm for pew pew hence the 2 artificer (legendary lucid seems to work even on legendary elite)
    First, know that RA blasts scale with Arti levels, so you'll always be doing Level 2 damage with your blasts. They also scale with Spellpower, so that will help a bit with a Wiz, but the base damage will never be what it would with some sort of dedicated "Artificer" build.

Nor do the imbues scale - you'll get +2d4 to damage (or whatever), which is great at low levels, and always "better than nothing" but becomes less and less noticeable as you level up.

This is why most builds go with a Rogue 2 dip, for Evasion, + Insightful Reflexes. More bang for the buck, and still useful up to end-Epics.

Just so you're clear.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Question: are you intending to be a ranged build, with wiz as a base? Using Inquisitor? (Not perfectly clear from your post)

First, know that RA blasts scale with Arti levels, so you'll always be doing Level 2 damage with your blasts. They also scale with Spellpower, so that will help a bit with a Wiz, but the base damage will never be what it would with some sort of dedicated "Artificer" build.

Nor do the imbues scale - you'll get +2d4 to damage (or whatever), which is great at low levels, and always "better than nothing" but becomes less and less noticeable as you level up.

This is why most builds go with a Rogue 2 dip, for Evasion, + Insightful Reflexes. More bang for the buck, and still useful up to end-Epics.

Just so you're clear.
    Yes ranged built using wizard as a base.

I know about the blasts and runearm imbues but the runearm itself is an extra item slot. You can fill a set or get attributes you're missing somewhere else or anything. I'm using legendary lucid and legendary tovens but I could just as easily craft a dino or toven's prototype. I get evasion from 11 points shadowdancer (and ranged power and sneak attack). Although I'm not arguing that you can't spend those points elsewhere instead or even turn evasion into improved evasion and get additional sneak attack. Also runearm blasts proc shiradi which is so cool
    Bought my first dungeon master's guide in 1992. My favourite part of ddo is coffee and slayers

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Presuming wizard 18 / rogue or Artificer 2, you're looking at something like:
    • 41 APs Inquisitive for capstone + tier-5s
    • 12 APs Harper Agent for Know the Angles and Strategic Combat (INT to damage)
    • 13 APs Eldritch Knight to unlock bonus Imbue dice (+5 at wiz 18), Arcane Barrier, and ASF reduction
    • 8 APs Battle Engineer or Assassin for Ranged Power Boost
    • 6 APs Pale Master for undead form

80 APs total. Bonus racial APs can go for more INT etc.

Stats: max INT, DEX 17 w/tome for Combat Archery, remaining points into CON or whatever. I would skip Improved Precise Shot: due to BAB pre-reqs, you won't get it until epic levels anyway, at which point you're unlocked Shiradi and...well, you're a wizard. You need an AoE DPS option, cast a spell.

Ranged feats: Rapid Reload (free for Artificers), Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Precision, Improved Critical, Overwhelming Critical, Combat Archery. Caster feats: the usual metamagics, Spell Focus, etc.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by kmoustakas View Post
    Yes ranged built using wizard as a base.

...but the runearm itself is an extra item slot.
    Good point! Especially if you craft, you can use that to squeeze some extra effects into a gear mix, and if you don't there are still some excellent RA's with some unique effects (or effects in that unique location).

Take a look at this; not perfectly on-point but directly related:
    o https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...=1#post6558689
    It's a Halfling, but that's easily changed.

11 AP from Rogue Assassin +4 tbd - not sure there are any low-hanging Arti imbues, so maybe something racial?

o https://ddowiki.com/page/Imbue#Imbues

Wiz feats would be Extend and then* Maximize+Empower for self-healing. The "final" Char Level 17/Wiz 15 Feat is dealer's choice - Mental Toughness for more spell points (and a 1% better % for healing to crit), Quicken, possibly Augment Summoning (? - not sure if that helps with dog or no).

(* Wiz gets Death Aura, a 4th Level spell, at Wiz 10, which would be Char Level 12. Having Extend early is gravy for any other buff spells he gets.)

Edit - some related thoughts here: https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...-Art-Fvs-split (NOTE: this is a HC build, so emphasizing "100% survivability" over higher DPS, which is usually far preferable in a non-HC build.)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Presuming wizard 18 / rogue or Artificer 2, you're looking at something like:
    • 41 APs Inquisitive for capstone + tier-5s
    • 12 APs Harper Agent for Know the Angles and Strategic Combat (INT to damage)
    • 13 APs Eldritch Knight to unlock bonus Imbue dice (+5 at wiz 18), Arcane Barrier, and ASF reduction
    • 8 APs Battle Engineer or Assassin for Ranged Power Boost
    • 6 APs Pale Master for undead form

80 APs total. Bonus racial APs can go for more INT etc.

Stats: max INT, DEX 17 w/tome for Combat Archery, remaining points into CON or whatever. I would skip Improved Precise Shot: due to BAB pre-reqs, you won't get it until epic levels anyway, at which point you're unlocked Shiradi and...well, you're a wizard. You need an AoE DPS option, cast a spell.

Ranged feats: Rapid Reload (free for Artificers), Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Precision, Improved Critical, Overwhelming Critical, Combat Archery. Caster feats: the usual metamagics, Spell Focus, etc.
    This is more or less what I run, except I skip BE entirely (I just use NHB as my AB) and put 21 EK for the extra PRR/MRR/AC/HP and +1 Imbue die if you want to run Epic

If you're just going to 20, you might also consider 2 Rogue instead of 2 Arti. That gives you Evasion and +3 Imbue die in Assa that you can access sooner. You'll need to take RR manually though. If you're going to 30, and especially if you're going to farm some RXP at cap before double-TRing, then Arti is probably better since you can get Evasion in SD, and the RA slot is useful for completing sets at cap. RA is also effectively +2 Imbue Die later on if you're using your Law imbue (ie scales on Ranged Power), but early on the RA imbue is pretty weak (Strinati's is only 2d4) and there's far more RP in Epic than in Heroic to scale your RA imbue.

I also dont bother with Combat Archery in Epics (just doesnt make the cut), though I do take IPS at 21, so 19 DEX by then. Also dont sleep on Master of the Dead, solely for the boost to your NEB max caster level.

PBS, Precision, PS, IC:R, Rapid Shot (inqui needs both RR and RS) are your Xbow feats for Heroic. Ins Reflex is a must-take. Your Wiz feats can go one of two ways:

- Extend/Quicken/Max/Emp, and use your AOE nukes to complement your single-target DXB damage. This works OK in Heroic, especially once you get Ball/Chain Lightning, but I find on a hybrid build you lack the spellpower to really make this count in Epic, even with Acid Well or Meteor Swarm. Having full-meta NEB is great, though. That gives you one more standard feat for a Spell Focus: Evo, or maybe Luck of Heroes to get the extra +3 from Shiradi. Or Rapid Reload if you're going the Rogue version.

- Extend/Quicken/SF: Ench/Heighten, and then use your last regular feat for GSF:Ench, and focus on CC to disable mobs for you to pick off. This works great in later Heroic and Epic, where you should be able to get a usable DC on your Mass Hold and Dance Ball etc. for at least soloing in low Reaper to cap.

In either case, be sure to use GShout soon as you get it since its an awesome AOE stun

You'll have to choose now between your Ranged Power and Spellpower imbue. I think Spellsword is probably better in Heroic, which means you should lean more towards caster gear for spellpower boosts, eg Beacon at 10. Like I said above, there just isnt enough readily available RP to make the Law imbue competitive, even counting 75 from Archers Focus - its almost always easier to get twice as much Spellpower. In Epic, RP becomes cheaper, and you might be able to make Law come out ahead, especially if you move away from Spellpower gear towards a more completely ranged/RP focused gearset (other than Neg gear for healing). Spellsword is still competitive to cap, though, so go with whatever your numbers favor. If you run with Spellsword, pick Optimistic in T5 Inqui for an extra +1 Imbue. If you run with Law, pick Jaded for consistent die vs everyone.
    Last edited by droid327; 01-10-2023 at 09:33 AM.