Exclamation The connection to the server has been lost!

Just like the last time, I can't seem to make it past character creation on the Hardcore server. Here's a thread I made back then:

https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...acter-creation

I get through to the starting screen, which is empty - no characters on the server yet.

I press 'Create' and everything freezes up for quite a long time (I can time this, if it is helpful to anyone?).

It goes through to character creation and I rush through the process really quickly, using a random appearance to speed things up.

I name it and press the button to create the character and it tells me 'Please wait...' and then, eventually, closes out and gives me the ol' red X with message: "The connection to the server has been lost!"

I can still log on 'fine' to the normal servers (they also always have a long pause when I log on, but I can then go into the game okay and seemingly not have any problems).

I did eventually get to make a character on the S6 HC server, but that was after an update which seems to fix all of my log on problems and everything just whizzes into the game - normal or HC. I foolishly went onto a normal server after this last update, so threw away my chance to get on without a hitch onto HC. I really don't want to wait until another update to see if it does/doesn't fix my problem!

So my questions after all that:

Can anyone guess what's going wrong, here?
    Does anyone have any suggestions to fix it?
    Why does it log in flawlessly immediately after an update, and is there any way of mimicking this effect to speed up my general logging in?

Curses! I was really hoping that someone might have an answer for me. I just tried again and got the same error at the end when trying to create my character.

Wait, is HC7 just for VIPs? I'm Premium and this would explain everything.

Cheers for any help that anyone might have and all the best to everyone already up and running on Hardcore!

Community Member

I'm having this problem as well. Not just HC server, but ghallanda as well! Very frustrating,Two days in a row now, was hoping it would be fixed. Its constant, the whole time I played, kept going in and out.
    Last edited by stealing; 12-10-2022 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stealing View Post
    I'm having this problem as well. Not just HC server, but ghallanda as well! Very frustrating,Two days in a row now, was hoping it would be fixed. Its constant, the whole time I played, kept going in and out.
    If it's something that happens when you're in the game, and it keeps dropping out, that is probably a different problem (I'm fine once I'm in).

If it's something that happens when you try to log in on any server, I've found that it goes through fine if I wait until a character model has loaded before clicking enter. I know that sounds odd, but it works - if you click to enter straight away, there's a big hang and it eventually times out and the connection lost message is shown; if you wait until the model visibly loads, it seems to eventually unlock and go through okay. I must stress that I do not understand why this seems to work! And, I obviously can't try this on a HC server where there's no character to load up yet. It's baffling.

Community Member

Default things to try

All accounts can play on hardcore, don't have to be vip.

Under the launcher options, general tab, try only checking the 'pre cache game logic' box and below that what ever system you are using 32 or 64. leave rest unchecked. You can try high res game data but only really useful once you have a good connection.

Also like you were doing, once you log into hardcore server, wait a bit say 5 min to see if you disconnect before before making a char. After 5 if you still connected then make a char, and let it sit on yoru screen another 5 min, then enter game.

Things to try ,gl

Quote Originally Posted by duey View Post
    All accounts can play on hardcore, don't have to be vip.
    Good to know, as it at least eliminates it from the possibilities.

Under the launcher options, general tab, try only checking the 'pre cache game logic' box and below that what ever system you are using 32 or 64. leave rest unchecked. You can try high res game data but only really useful once you have a good connection.
    Yeah, I always precache. I'll try the low res version and see if it'll get me through - solid suggestion, thanks! I have a decent connection for literally everything else on the internet (264 Mbs down, 25 Mbs up); it's only here I have trouble. I'm determined to figure out what it is, as I never had any real problems (bar the lag spikes we've all experienced) before a few updates back.

Also like you were doing, once you log into hardcore server, wait a bit say 5 min to see if you disconnect before before making a char. After 5 if you still connected then make a char, and let it sit on yoru screen another 5 min, then enter game.
    I tried a minute and a half, which is about the time it takes on a a normal server, but yep I'll give it a full 5+5 and see what happens. I think it's set to time out for Premium after 20 minutes, or so I once read, so I should still have plenty of time to roll-up and name.

Things to try ,gl
    Thanks for that - I clearly need it! Okay, I'm going to try again. May the fickle gods of snow and fortune let me play!

EDIT: Nope. I've tried all the suggestions and still can't get into the game on the HC server - it loses connection every time. Thought I might be able to slip in today, as I thought there was going to be a fix, but still no joy :/
    Last edited by Teslana; 12-14-2022 at 02:59 PM.

I did a repair on my files, which I was hoping to avoid, and it redownloaded and reinstalled all the .dat files. The game then gave me an error about having the wrong version installed and wouldn't let me into the game at all... :/

I uninstalled and reinstalled the whole thing, which reset **something** that meant I could finally make a new character on the HC server. Hooray!

I thought I should add this, just in case anyone else was having trouble. It's not truly good news, but at least it can finally be played?

Onwards!