Community Member

Default Looking for help with 18Bard/1FVS/1Barb dagger using swash/vistani

Hello guys,
    I am returning player, didnt play DDO since 2009. Now want play bard as swashbuckler with dagger. Thinking about something like 18Bard/1FVS/1Barb with using vistani tree to burst dmg with daggers. Can u advice me a viable build for endgame? But need whole build if it is possible pls
    I dont have much past lives, just finnishing 2nd life and going TR, so have just 80 racial aps, but feel free to use for build anything buyable from DDO store.

Thank you in advance. Will be glad for any build you will post.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warhanga View Post
    Hello guys,
    I am returning player, didnt play DDO since 2009. Now want play bard as swashbuckler with dagger. Thinking about something like 18Bard/1FVS/1Barb with using vistani tree to burst dmg with daggers. Can u advice me a viable build for endgame? But need whole build if it is possible pls
    I dont have much past lives, just finnishing 2nd life and going TR, so have just 80 racial aps, but feel free to use for build anything buyable from DDO store.

Thank you in advance. Will be glad for any build you will post.
    I have a 18bard/1cleric/1barbarian right now. I suggest using a buckler for extra defense. This is what I did and its pretty good. Single weapon fighting feats, shield mastery feats, precision, improved critical (piercing for daggers) and Maximize for my cure wounds spells. Charisma based. 14 points in Swash (core 3 with T3 skirmisher and different tack for charima to damage), 3 in warpriest/warsoul for divine might, 3 in feydark illusionist for charisma to-hit, 8 mandatory points in vistani for haste boost and a lot in warchanter for freezes and all the good stuff like +1 crit multi on 19-20, haste boost song, damage song etc. Well geared it gets close to 200 PRR with 100 capped MRR and not far from 2000 hps. Main destiny is LD with US as second. I have quite a few destiny points on this alt so i put a few in fatesinger for the sonic vulnerability too. I know you want to go deep in Vistani but War Chanter is a better investment IMO. Lets say 14 swash, 3 warsoul/priest, 3 feydark, 8 vistani, like 41-44 in war chanter (core 5 is very nice with t5 howl of the north to get 15% bonus hp with todays update). you would have 8-11 more APs left to invest in vistani to get core3 and tier3 +1W and extra damage/defense along the way

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Welcome back, OP.

FYI you have a lot more options for what to use as your melee DPS stat than you did 13 years ago. STR is the default, but you can also go for:
    • DEX - to-hit comes from Weapon Finesse or Dagger in the Back (first Assassin core), damage comes from Swift Strikes (Swashbuckler enhancement). There's also a DEX-based Battle Trance in the Horizon Walker tree, meaning you don't have to invest in a secondary mental stat if you don't want. Plus being DEX-based also increases your AC and Reflex saves, of course; Swashbuckling restricts you to light armor so pumping up both is always a good idea.
    • CHA - there's universal to-hit / damage available from Feydark Illusionist. Pro: your melee DPS, Warchanter Freeze DCs, and bard spell / song DCs are all based on CHA. Con: Feydark doesn't have a Battle Trance so you either need to splash cleric or Favored Soul OR take a Battle Trance from another tree and invest in a secondary stat. See my Baron thread for a sample build.
    • INT - Harper Agent grants INT to hit, damage, and Battle Trance. Take Insightful Reflexes to boost saves. INT-based means more skill points which goes well with rogue splash for trapper duties.
    • WIS - Falconry also has WIS to-hit / damage / Battle Trance. Downside is its Trance is tier-4, meaning it costs a lot more APs than Harper's Know the Angles. Upside is Falconry also has No Mercy (+30% helpless damage).
    Last edited by unbongwah; 11-10-2022 at 10:41 AM.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFast View Post
    I have a 18bard/1cleric/1barbarian right now. I suggest using a buckler for extra defense. This is what I did and its pretty good. Single weapon fighting feats, shield mastery feats, precision, improved critical (piercing for daggers) and Maximize for my cure wounds spells. Charisma based. 14 points in Swash (core 3 with T3 skirmisher and different tack for charima to damage), 3 in warpriest/warsoul for divine might, 3 in feydark illusionist for charisma to-hit, 8 mandatory points in vistani for haste boost and a lot in warchanter for freezes and all the good stuff like +1 crit multi on 19-20, haste boost song, damage song etc. Well geared it gets close to 200 PRR with 100 capped MRR and not far from 2000 hps. Main destiny is LD with US as second. I have quite a few destiny points on this alt so i put a few in fatesinger for the sonic vulnerability too. I know you want to go deep in Vistani but War Chanter is a better investment IMO. Lets say 14 swash, 3 warsoul/priest, 3 feydark, 8 vistani, like 41-44 in war chanter (core 5 is very nice with t5 howl of the north to get 15% bonus hp with todays update). you would have 8-11 more APs left to invest in vistani to get core3 and tier3 +1W and extra damage/defense along the way
    Thank u mate for reply,
    yeah this is what I ve looking for. Dagger + buckler, cha based dps with some CC, heal and buff possibility. Vistani just few points for bonust to haste and dps with dagger. Wondering about 1 level FvS to get battle trance instead of 1 lvl clr. If u could take photos of skills, feats, enhancetmens, destinies ... etc it will be very helpfull for me.
    Wondering to take iconic scroundel as a race or human from lvl1, what race did you choose?
    Many thanx for your help.
    Last edited by Warhanga; 11-11-2022 at 08:14 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Welcome back, OP.

FYI you have a lot more options for what to use as your melee DPS stat than you did 13 years ago. STR is the default, but you can also go for:
    • DEX - to-hit comes from Weapon Finesse or Dagger in the Back (first Assassin core), damage comes from Swift Strikes (Swashbuckler enhancement). There's also a DEX-based Battle Trance in the Horizon Walker tree, meaning you don't have to invest in a secondary mental stat if you don't want. Plus being DEX-based also increases your AC and Reflex saves, of course; Swashbuckling restricts you to light armor so pumping up both is always a good idea.
    • CHA - there's universal to-hit / damage available from Feydark Illusionist. Pro: your melee DPS, Warchanter Freeze DCs, and bard spell / song DCs are all based on CHA. Con: Feydark doesn't have a Battle Trance so you either need to splash cleric or Favored Soul OR take a Battle Trance from another tree and invest in a secondary stat. See my Baron thread for a sample build.
    • INT - Harper Agent grants INT to hit, damage, and Battle Trance. Take Insightful Reflexes to boost saves. INT-based means more skill points which goes well with rogue splash for trapper duties.
    • WIS - Falconry also has WIS to-hit / damage / Battle Trance. Downside is its Trance is tier-4, meaning it costs a lot more APs than Harper's Know the Angles. Upside is Falconry also has No Mercy (+30% helpless damage).
    Thanx mate,
    wanna go CHa based. Gonna check your Baron build. Thank u for your help ^^

Community Member

Thank u mate for reply,
    yeah this is what I ve looking for. Dagger + buckler, cha based dps with some CC, heal and buff possibility. Vistani just few points for bonust to haste and dps with dagger. Wondering about 1 level FvS to get battle trance instead of 1 lvl clr. If u could take photos of skills, feats, enhancetmens, destinies ... etc it will be very helpfull for me. U can also send me that photos to mail jozef.brezina@gmail.com.
    Wondering to take iconic scroundel as a race or human from lvl1, what race did you choose?
    Many thanx for your help.
    Cleric or FVS both have divine might trance. I don't use daggers but a dinosaur bone light mace for the +1 sacred crit multiplier in aasimar scourge. For daggers, Human or Purple Dragon Knight is actually a pretty good idea since I found myself missing a feat without that bonus lvl1 feat. remember for precision you need 13 dex although your stats are probably gonna be 14 dex, 18 cha and rest in con. So a charisma +2 race or +1 feat. your call

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFast View Post
    Cleric or FVS both have divine might trance.
    Yeah I know that, just wondering if will be better to get Turn undead (cleric) or more spell points (FvS). And thanx for remineded me to get at least 13 dex for precision

Thanx mate,
    wanna go CHa based. Gonna check your Baron build. Thank u for your help ^^
    FYI pure bards just got some buffs from this week's update:
    • Sonic and cold Imbues added to Swashbuckler and Warchanter, respectively.
    • +20% Competence bonus to hit points in tier-5 SB/WC trees.

Vistani Knife Fighter also got +25% Competence bonus to hit points in its tier-5 (Grudge Bearer); so no matter which you use as your primary tree, you'll see a big jump in HPs after level 12.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    FYI pure bards just got some buffs from this week's update:
    • Sonic and cold Imbues added to Swashbuckler and Warchanter, respectively.
    • +20% Competence bonus to hit points in tier-5 SB/WC trees.

Vistani Knife Fighter also got +25% Competence bonus to hit points in its tier-5 (Grudge Bearer); so no matter which you use as your primary tree, you'll see a big jump in HPs after level 12.
    Thanx for advices unbongwah, I ve tried to make a build and used information from you and LiveFast. I ve used skills and feats from your Baron build and than i ve chosen enhancements and destinies as LiveFast adviced.
    Not sure if I did well so if u find mistakes in my build, feel free to comment it . Dont know which enhancements are stacking and which not, so correct me if I did wrong pls.

Warhanga
    Brd 18/Fig 1/Clr 1
    True Neutral PDK

Stats
    .....................36pt.......Level Up
    ......................----........--------
    Strength...........8..........4:CHA
    Dexterity.........14..........8:CHA
    Constitution.....18........12:CHA
    Intelligence.......8........16:CHA
    Wisdom............8........20:CHA
    Charisma........20.........24:CHA
    .................................28:CHA

Skills
    ..................1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8... 9..10..11..12..13..14..15..16..17..18..19..20
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Perform.......4...1...1...1...1...1...1...1...1... 1....1....1...1....1....1....1...1....1....1....1. ...23
    Concent...... 4...1...1...1...1...1...1...1...1...1....1....1... 1....1....1....1...1....1....1....1....23
    Spellcr.........4...1...1...1...1...1...1...1...1. ..1....1....1...1....1....1....1...1....1....1.... 1....23
    Balance.......3...2........2........2........2.... ...2..........2.........2.........2.........2..... .....2....23
    UMD...........4...1...1....1...1...1...1...1...1.. .1....1....1...1....1....1....1...1....1....1....1 ....23
    Heal.....................1........1........1...... ..1.........1.........1.........1.........1....... ...1..........09
    Jump..........2........1........1........1........ 1.........1.........1.........1.........1......... .1..........11
    Tumble........1................................... .................................................. ..................01
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ................22...6...6...6...6...6...6...6...6 ...6....6....6....6....6....6...6...6....6....6... .6

Feats

1 : Single Weapon Fighting
    1 Human : Extend Spell
    3 : Precision
    6 : Shield Mastery
    9 : Improved Single Weapon Fighting
    12 : Improved Critical: Piercing
    15 : Greater Single Weapon Fighting
    18 : Improved Shield Mastery
    20 Swap : Spell Focus: Enchantment replaces Extend Spell
    21 Epic : Inspire Excellence
    24 Epic : Overwhelming Critical
    26 Destiny: Perfect Single Weapon Fighting
    27 Epic : Epic Damage Reduction
    28 Destiny: Lasting Inspiration
    29 Destiny: Dire Charge OR Deific Warding
    30 Epic : Epic Reflexes OR Embolden Spell OR Greater Shield Mastery
    30 Legend : Scion of: Feywild

Enhancements (Spent: 80)

Swashbuckler 15 AP:
    Core: Confidence, Swashbuckling, Uncanny Dodge
    1.tier: On your toes I, Tavern Shanties III
    2.tier: En Pointe III, Fast movement
    3.tier: Swashbuckling Style: Skirmisher, Different Tack: Smooth flourishes

Warpriest 4 AP:
    Core: Smite Foe: Melee Attack
    1.tier Divine Might III

Feydark Illusionist 3 AP:
    Core: Find Familiar
    1.tier Familiars Flourish I

Stalwart defender 6 AP:
    Core: Toughness, Stalwart Defense
    1.tier: Item defense, Improved Stalwart Defense III

Vistani Knife Fighter 10 AP:
    Core: Knife Expertise
    1.tier Undead Hunter, Mist Stalker I, Acrobatic I
    2.tier Vistani Knife Training II, Haste Boost III

Warchanter 42 AP:
    Core: Skaldic Constitution, Weapon Training, Song of Heroism, Fighting Spirit, Victory Song
    1.tier Inspired Bravery II, The Poetic Eda III, Enchant Weapon, Rough and Ready II
    2.tier Ballad Melody: Arcane Shield III, Iced Edges III
    3.tier Ballad Melody: Ironskin III, High Spirits I, The Frozen Fury III
    4.tier Ballad Melody: Recklessness III, Northwind I, Charisma
    5.tier Chant of Power III, Howl of the North, Spinning Ice III

Destiny (48 AP)

Legendary Dreadnought 23 AP:
    Core: Fearless, Weaponmaster, Thick Skinned
    1.tier: Legendary Dreadnought Destiny Mantle,Shrug Off Punischment III
    2.tier: Ghost Touch, Combat Brute, Honor III,
    3.tier: Strike Twice, Epic Power and Precision III, Armor of Dusk I
    4.tier: Kick While They're Down III,

Unyielding Sentinel 25 AP:
    Core: Unyielding, Ward Against Darkness, Stand Against the Tide
    1.tier: Celestial Mandate: Melee Cleave, Attack and Defend III, Brace for Impact III
    2.tier: Renewal, Shield Prowess III
    3.tier: Hands of the Sentinel, Legendary Shield Mastery III, Spark Of Life
    4.tier: Endless Vigil, Hardened Purpose

Thanx for help
    Last edited by Warhanga; 11-11-2022 at 06:38 AM.

If you have PDK, you might as well consult the Icebreaker thread, the main pre-Feydark option for CHA melee bards. The original builds are ancient but there's a few on the last couple of pages which are more recent: 2-3 years old instead of eight. AFAIK the DC bonus from Cormyrian Knight Training still stacks with Divine Might.