Default Old School Style Player,Going Epic (Rogue)

Hey there my fellow rogues, I have been grinding out heroic lives for some racial past lives for the past year and i have never really ran epics. I’m completionist and have finished several racails. Was thinking about running epics for ETR’s. How would I go about gear for epics? Ima be running a rogue dagger assassin build. Just curious on what you gets we’re running on your rogues as far as gear or daggers. Also some tips on the epic trees would be greatly appreciated.

Thank in advance.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by aarona View Post
    Hey there my fellow rogues, I have been grinding out heroic lives for some racial past lives for the past year and i have never really ran epics. I’m completionist and have finished several racails. Was thinking about running epics for ETR’s. How would I go about gear for epics? Ima be running a rogue dagger assassin build. Just curious on what you gets we’re running on your rogues as far as gear or daggers. Also some tips on the epic trees would be greatly appreciated.

Thank in advance.
    Yay! Something to which I can meaningfully contribute!

As it happens I just completed a Vistani Assassin and made it all the way to 30 with no significant problems. Note that I am more of a casual player who prefers epic hard, but I have done some epic elite. I really dislike reaper, so only ever run that if I get invited to a group (forgetting that I'm apparently the only person in the game who does not run reaper). Also note, I do not (yet) have any expansions more recent than Rqavenloft. If these conditions don't apply to you, the following might be less useful, but it has served me well.

At level 20 I'm using mostly Epic Red Fens gear with a couple other items mixed in. All these items are in the end rewards of both the heroic and epic quests, and are upgraded with a single ingredient from the epic chest, so they are all fairly easy to obtain.

Venom Set: Necklace of Venom & Ring of Venom
    Claw Set: Bracers of the Claw & Gloves of the Claw
    Mire Set: Boots of the Mire & Ring of the Mire

I don't currently have a goggle item in the set. I think I was working on the Epic Raven's Eye before I TRed. Barring anything better, I often use 2 sets of Cannith Crafted goggles (Spot/Search and Disable Device/Open Lock)

Other items:
    Epic Phiarlin Mirror Cloak (from Partycrashers)
    Epic Voice of the Master (end reward from Delera's Tomb - appears in Heroic, too) with a Topaz of Deathblock and Sapphire of Heavy Fortification (The Sapphire is redundant with the Bracers of the Claw - I set this up long before the current gear set and I should probably look into swapping it out)
    Epic Rashasa Hide (from Lord's of Dust)

I also don't have a head item. I'm still hunting for something good there.

For daggers, I have:
    Epic Phiarlin Spy Dagger (Partycrashers)
    Epic Sworn Silver Dagger (Borderlands trade item) as a mainhand swap for dealing with pesky incorporeals
    Epic Noxious Fang (Spider optional in The Snitch) as my ranged weapon

At level 21 I switch to a Borderlands gear set. Borderlands has a LOT (some might say almost too much) of good gear. I recommend you spend some time going through the list and find what's best for your exact preferences, but the following is what I have stored:

Eyes: Magnifying Lens (covers all trapping skills)
    Head: White Hood of Schemes
    Neck: Necklace of Tranquility
    Belt: Belt of Subtle Villany
    Ring1: Ring of Subtle Villany
    Gloves: Furyform Gloves
    Ring2: Whispering Ring

Non-Borderlands items:
    Trinket: Epic Voice of the Master
    Cloak: Mysterious Cloak (Remnant trade-in)
    Bracers: Epic Bracers of the Claw

For armor, I'm using a lootgen armor (Protection+8; Fort 111%; Insightful Fot +56%, and... something else I've forgotten), but the Epic Rakshasa Hide would still be a solid option.

My boots are the Heroic Flightfoot Greaves from Ravenloft, because that's the only boots I can find with Freedom of Movement that doesn't have Feather Fall. Ihave a maxed Tumble and a ML20 Tumble +17 augment making FF largely unnecessary. Being able to fall quickly from high places without taking (much) damage is often useful for a quick escape. Plus, it's an amazing amount of fun! (I have a Cannith Crafted ring with Underwater Action, Swim, and a FF augment, so I do recognize the need for it.) Borderlands has a decent pair of boots with FF and FoM as well.

For Destinies... a lot of people ssay Shadowdancer isn't very good. I suspect they're talking about reaper, because it felt really solid to me. I took everything except the 3 or 4 that were specifically for casters. Splash a few point into Primal Avatar (I think?) for Cocoon, and I think I put the rest into Shiradi Champion for lack of anything better.

I don't have a lot of EPLs yet, but the ones that appear most useful to a rogue are Doublestrike from the Martial Sphere, and Fast Healing from the Primal (?) Sphere. Others with more experience here will probably give much better advice.

Well, that's my 2 coppers. I hope it's worth at least that much.

Also, a fun possibly little known fact: If you're quick enough, you can assassinate oozes - they won't split or cause weapon wear doing this. Definitely not easy, but hilariously fun!

Here is what I did: Assassin ER twink gear (ddo.com)

This was a couple of updates ago but should be still good.

For destinies, I do SD with Unyielding Sentinel for temp hp bursts, then aim for switching over to Divine Crusader at 30 but make sure to take the Embodiment of Law feat to maximize stuff there.

I am skipping epics now due to the level cap raise so good luck...
    Last edited by Saekee; 10-29-2022 at 03:37 PM.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links. LONG LIVE STEALTH!
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players