Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member thegreatcthulhu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glassesjr View Post
    Sucks it doesn't work, but I am not surprised at all knowing SSG...

Anyway glad you like it even if you are on a much different THF build.
    If you take a look at the Lam patch notes, it will be fixed in update 57.

And yes, thanks again for posting it.

Edit: Now that they have fixed it, I can say that this build is just amazing. I may try it again with SWF or some other approach, but it works amazingly well with a 2 hander.

Here's some other stuff I might throw in for good measure:

- I personally prefer going with a strength build on this one since you benefit from primal scream's strength bonus more. I also found it more difficult to meet the tactical dc's for sunder and trip when using a charisma build.

- When you have more DP, I really recommend getting "Shadow upon you" from the exalted angel tree. It gives Turn Undead some great late game usefulness since it works on everything (as far as I can tell, nothing is immune to it). It's a pretty nice debuff IMHO.

- I've found Feydark Illusionist can provide some significant survivability boosts for this build with its blur enhancement. Grab an epic Sapphire Studded Buckle from "Kinda A Big Deal" to give yourself a great shield clicky to enjoy the bonus PRR.

- Sonic spell power can really make Primal Scream into a powerful trash clearing / AOE attack. My personal preference is to get more sonic spell power from a Legendary Salt Pearl Ring.
    Last edited by thegreatcthulhu; 11-12-2022 at 03:47 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatcthulhu View Post
    If you take a look at the Lam patch notes, it will be fixed in update 57.

And yes, thanks again for posting it.

Edit: Now that they have fixed it, I can say that this build is just amazing. I may try it again with SWF or some other approach, but it works amazingly well with a 2 hander.

Here's some other stuff I might throw in for good measure:

- I personally prefer going with a strength build on this one since you benefit from primal scream's strength bonus more. I also found it more difficult to meet the tactical dc's for sunder and trip when using a charisma build.

- When you have more DP, I really recommend getting "Shadow upon you" from the exalted angel tree. It gives Turn Undead some great late game usefulness since it works on everything (as far as I can tell, nothing is immune to it). It's a pretty nice debuff IMHO.

- I've found Feydark Illusionist can provide some significant survivability boosts for this build with its blur enhancement. Grab an epic Sapphire Studded Buckle from "Kinda A Big Deal" to give yourself a great shield clicky to enjoy the bonus PRR.

- Sonic spell power can really make Primal Scream into a powerful trash clearing / AOE attack. My personal preference is to get more sonic spell power from a Legendary Salt Pearl Ring.
    Sorry, bit of a new player here, but do you change any of the feats or Enhancements when you use a 2-Hander?

I had no idea that SWF meant you couldn't use a shield, so it seems to me that if you get nothing in that off-hand, wouldn't TWF + a 2H be a better option?

Also, what kind of gear should I be using here? Normal Paladin build?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Qyntus View Post
    Sorry, bit of a new player here, but do you change any of the feats or Enhancements when you use a 2-Hander?

I had no idea that SWF meant you couldn't use a shield, so it seems to me that if you get nothing in that off-hand, wouldn't TWF + a 2H be a better option?

Also, what kind of gear should I be using here? Normal Paladin build?

Thanks
    If you're using a two hander, you should be using the THF feats. TWF feats do not work with great swords and their ilk.

This is an example build (I'm using my main for this, so keep in mind he has had a bit of work put into him; this is definitely only possible with time and ddo point investments. I don't think you need to follow this to a T though to realize most of the benefits.)

Also, I prefer end game to 1-20, so I have been focusing on epic reincarnations and have more DP than normal, so you may not have as much flexibility with your epic destinies:

Character name: Dragnilar
    Classes: 20 Paladin, 10 Epic, 2 Legendary
    Race: Dragonborn· · · · · ·Alignment: Lawful Good

· · ·Start Tome Final · · ·Incorp:· · 10% · · ·Displacement:· ·40%
    Str:· · 12· · 8 · ·34 · · ·HP:· · · ·2042 · · ·AC:· ·157
    Dex:· · 12· · 8 · ·24 · · ·PRR: · · · 154
    Con:· · 16· · 8 · ·37 · · ·MRR: · · · ·88 · · ·+Healing Amp:· ·198
    Int:· · 12· · 8 · ·20 · · ·Dodge: · ·5/25 · · ·-Healing Amp: 4294967281
    Wis:· · 12· · 8 · ·20 · · ·Fort:· · ·298% · · ·Repair Amp:· · · 45
    Cha:· · 18· · 8 · ·47 · · ·SR:· · · · · 0 · · ·BAB: · · · · · · 25
    DR:
    Immunities: Natural Disease, Magical Disease, Super-Natural Disease, Fear, Weapon Durability Damage, Magic Missiles, Energy Drain, Freedom of Movement, Death Effects

Enhancements: 80 APs, Racial 2, Universal 1
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dragonborn - Points spent: 2
    Core1 Hardy I
    Tier1 Hard Scales - 1 Ranks
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Knight of the Chalice - Points spent: 43
    Core1 Slayer of Evil I
    Tier1 Extra Smite - 3 Ranks
    Tier1 Holy Combatant I
    Core2 Courage of Heaven
    Tier2 Adept Combatant
    Tier2 Divine Might - 3 Ranks
    Tier2 Critical Mastery - 3 Ranks
    Core3 Slayer of Evil II
    Tier3 Exalted Smite: Exalted Smite - 3 Ranks
    Tier3 Holy Combatant II
    Tier3 Ability I: +1 Strength
    Tier3 Lead the Charge - 1 Ranks
    Core4 Improved Courage of Heaven
    Tier4 Ability II: +1 Strength
    Tier4 Vigor of Life I
    Tier4 Knight's Training
    Tier4 Censure Demons
    Core5 Slayer of Evil III
    Tier5 Censure Outsiders
    Tier5 Ascendancy
    Tier5 Vigor of Life II
    Tier5 Holy Retribution: Holy Retribution
    Core6 Champion of Good
    Sacred Defender - Points spent: 31
    Core1 Holy Bastion
    Tier1 Extra Lay on Hands - 3 Ranks
    Tier1 Improved Sacred Defense I: Durable Defense - 1 Ranks
    Tier1 Sacred Armor Mastery - 3 Ranks
    Core2 Sacred Defence
    Tier2 Bulwark Aura - 2 Ranks
    Tier2 Improved Sacred Defense II: Resilient Defense - 1 Ranks
    Core3 Divine Righteousness
    Tier3 Resistance Aura - 2 Ranks
    Tier3 Ability I: +1 Charisma
    Tier3 Greater Sacred Defense I: Strong Defense - 3 Ranks
    Tier4 Ability II: +1 Charisma
    Core4 Redemption
    Tier4 Greater Sacred Defense II: Hardy Defense - 3 Ranks
    Tier4 Swift Defense
    Tier4 Reinforced Defense I: Reinforced Armor - 3 Ranks
    Core5 Glorious Stand
    Feydark Illusionist - Points spent: 7
    Core1 Find Familiar: Pseudodragon
    Tier1 Illusory Weaponry
    Tier1 Study the Arcane - 2 Ranks
    Tier2 Bend Light
    Epic Destinies: 40 APs + 18 permanent Destiny Points
    Divine Crusader - Points spent: 22
    Core1 Just Cause
    Tier1 Divine Smite
    Tier1 Spear of Light - 3 Ranks
    Core2 Confront any Foe
    Tier2 Endless Smiting - 3 Ranks
    Tier2 Bulk Up - 3 Ranks
    Tier2 Shield of Light - 3 Ranks
    Tier2 Divine Deflection - 3 Ranks
    Core3 Weather any Blow
    Core4 Sunder Evil
    Tier4 Purge the Wicked - 1 Ranks
    Fury of the Wild - Points spent: 31
    Core1 Die Hard
    Tier1 Epic Strike: Adrenaline - 3 Ranks
    Tier1 Enduring - 2 Ranks
    Core2 Die Harder
    Tier2 Primal Scream
    Tier2 Speed or Strength: Fast and Furious - 3 Ranks
    Tier2 Fear my Vengeance - 2 Ranks
    Tier3 Embrace the Pain - 3 Ranks
    Tier3 Wild Weapons: Doublestrike - 2 Ranks
    Core3 Die Hardest
    Core4 Be the Whirlwind
    Tier4 The Voice of Fury
    Tier4 Unquenchable Rage - 3 Ranks
    Tier4 Force Selector: Overwhelming Force - 3 Ranks
    Tier4 Wade Through: Wade Through - Doublestrike - 1 Ranks
    Tier5 Nature's Fury
    Exalted Angel - Points spent: 13
    Core1 Astral Touch
    Tier1 Angelic Form
    Tier1 Born by Flame - 2 Ranks
    Core2 Deepening Faith
    Tier2 Divine Protection
    Tier2 Saving Grace - 2 Ranks
    Tier3 Holy Presence
    Core3 Angelic Charge
    Tier3 Shadows Upon You

I also haven't tried this build out with TWF, so I can't really comment on how that would play out. My suspicion is that if you were to go with TWF, you probably would want to use Quick Cutter instead of Adrenaline, but someone else here may be able to weigh in on that.

For gear, normal Paladin oriented gear is a pretty safe bet from what I have found. I've been doing well with combining the set items from dread and salt marsh. If you don't have those expansions, I may be able to offer suggestions. To ME the expansions are worth it though. I just wish Dread's music was less monotonous....

Hopefully this answered your questions, let me know if you have any others. I play on Khyber, so if you want, DM me in game if you play on that server as well. Last but not least I'm also on the same username on Reddit (Dragnilar) in case you want to hit me up on there.
    Last edited by thegreatcthulhu; 12-06-2022 at 09:29 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatcthulhu View Post
    If you're using a two hander, you should be using the THF feats. TWF feats do not work with great swords and their ilk.
    Oh man, I'm blind, I actually meant THF

This is great, very helpful!

Thank you both (glassesjr, this is such a cool build) for this, and for your help, thegreatcthulu. I've got all the content, so I'll def hit up SM and DI over the Christmas holiday. I'm currently on Aggr-something (I remembr gud) for a server.

Quote Originally Posted by Qyntus View Post
    Oh man, I'm blind, I actually meant THF

This is great, very helpful!

Thank you both (glassesjr, this is such a cool build) for this, and for your help, thegreatcthulu. I've got all the content, so I'll def hit up SM and DI over the Christmas holiday. I'm currently on Aggr-something (I remembr gud) for a server.
    You're welcome! And yeah, I have to thank glassesjr too, he really did us all a huge favor pointing out the potential of this build. Happy dungeon crawling and Merry Christmas!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12