Default Fire sorc - spells

It has been a while since I last played at fire sorc. Meteor Swarm used to recast really fast but now I find I need more spells to fill the gap even when using the different means to lower recast time.

Which direct damage AoE spells do you use at cap on a Fire Sorc?

Meteor Swarm and DBF are obvious. Can also add in SLA Fire Ball and SLA Scorch but they dont do all that much damage.
    Acid Well? Having enough level 9 spell slots is an issue though as I like Meteor Swarm, Mass Hold and Wail too so I would need to drop Wail to use Acid Well.
    Arcane Tempest and Sunbust? Again, having enough spell slots for level 8 becomes an issue as I like Trap the Soul and Otto Irresistable too.

I am curious what others do
    Member of Spellswords on Ghallanda

I dont run the SLA, but scorch (only if you have the tiefling enhancement for 5% more fire vulnerability) and fireball are two for sure. Flaming bolt and scorching ray for simple cleanup. Scorching ray is actually pretty decent for proccing other effects like acid ring dot/RDA dot/vulnerability/ash/ooze/etc. You should probably run gRuin/Ruin if you havent already which takes up more of your rotation.

Community Member

I would definitely slot both meteor swarm and acid well on any sorc that is a damage dealer and doesn't have one of those elements' opposite.

Arcane tempest isn't bad, but it's probably not worth the slot on a sorc.

Sunburst is decent, particularly vs undead and oozes. Also useful with heighten/embolden to instakill certain undead (Vampires, Shadows, Spectres, Wraiths, and Forgewraiths).

I personally prefer power word stun to irresistible dance, but I definitely understand taking dance instead.

Another option is chain lightning. Even with the -3 max caster levels from elemental form it should deal a bit more damage than sunburst (except vs undead and oozes).

My choices for lvl 8/9 spells on a fire sorc would be trap the soul, sunburst, power word stun (or irresistible dance), meteor swarm, mass hold, acid well.

Meteor, delayed blast fireball, sunburst (or chain lightning), and acid well (in that order) are enough to completely fill a sorcerer's spell rotation if cast on cooldown:

Code:
    time	spell		cooldown

0	meteor		6
    1	dbf		3
    2	sunburst	3
    3	acid well	6
    4	dbf		3
    5	sunburst	3
    repeat

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    It has been a while since I last played at fire sorc. Meteor Swarm used to recast really fast but now I find I need more spells to fill the gap even when using the different means to lower recast time.

Which direct damage AoE spells do you use at cap on a Fire Sorc?

Meteor Swarm and DBF are obvious. Can also add in SLA Fire Ball and SLA Scorch but they dont do all that much damage.
    Acid Well? Having enough level 9 spell slots is an issue though as I like Meteor Swarm, Mass Hold and Wail too so I would need to drop Wail to use Acid Well.
    Arcane Tempest and Sunbust? Again, having enough spell slots for level 8 becomes an issue as I like Trap the Soul and Otto Irresistable too.

I am curious what others do
    I stick with either DPS or mana conservation and unless forced to do so I also stick with Fire based spells, that being said said my rotation is as follows:
    1. Meteor Swarm
    2. DBF
    3. SLA Fireball
    4. DBF
    5. Meteor Swarm

NOTE: this is with -30% cast time reduction, which makes a huge difference.

Last edited by majorhavoc; 11-18-2022 at 08:36 AM.
    It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt.... Mark Twain.