Community Member thegreatcthulhu's Avatar

Default Divine Sacrifice While Using THF and Blocking - Is This a Bug?

I can't find anything on the DDO wiki about this and it appears my search queries are too broad. Thus, I am just going to ask about this; sorry if someone has already looked into this and/or asked the question:

While using THF and holding down block, if I use Divine Sacrifice, my Paladin does a cool two hit combo attack that shoots off some waves of energy / magic sword type stuff. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to hit anything and it's basically a waste of my HP/SP. Is this some leftover from a previous version of the game that SSG forgot to remove or some other strange bug? I can't seem to find any use for it whatsoever, besides perhaps taking screen shots. If anyone knows anything about this, I'd appreciate it.

Edit:

In case someone isn't sure of what I am talking about, this is what I am talking about:

Last edited by thegreatcthulhu; 09-11-2022 at 04:24 PM.

Community Member

I don't think Divine Sacrifice is worth it myself, stick to the smites, and holy retribution for bosses and tough fights, you don't need any special strikes for regular mobs. Just like you don't need to waste a Lay On Hands charge to heal up when a cure moderate would work, you have better tools in your kit, and save them for when you really need them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dogsoldier View Post
    I don't think Divine Sacrifice is worth it myself, stick to the smites, and holy retribution for bosses and tough fights, you don't need any special strikes for regular mobs. Just like you don't need to waste a Lay On Hands charge to heal up when a cure moderate would work, you have better tools in your kit, and save them for when you really need them.

The potential damage increase from spamming Sacrifice as a filler on longer fights, and often turning otherwise two-hit mobs into oneshots is enough to make it worth taking in general I find. Especially true for SWF at least

As for the animation it's not limited to just this ability, happening with quite a few special attacks that are used while blocking or when bound to shift-modifier hotkeys: some of them can deal damage as normal but many will, unfortunately, trigger this animation and do nothing even if the look and sound of the swing can be kinda satisfying.

For anyone making heavy use of modifier hotkeys this can limit where abilities can be bound to as a result and can be quite annoying, although I don't recall it being addressed anywhere as a bug specifically or what a fix might be for it.

Community Member thegreatcthulhu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Djjinni View Post
    The potential damage increase from spamming Sacrifice as a filler on longer fights, and often turning otherwise two-hit mobs into oneshots is enough to make it worth taking in general I find. Especially true for SWF at least

As for the animation it's not limited to just this ability, happening with quite a few special attacks that are used while blocking or when bound to shift-modifier hotkeys: some of them can deal damage as normal but many will, unfortunately, trigger this animation and do nothing even if the look and sound of the swing can be kinda satisfying.

For anyone making heavy use of modifier hotkeys this can limit where abilities can be bound to as a result and can be quite annoying, although I don't recall it being addressed anywhere as a bug specifically or what a fix might be for it.
    I agree on your observation about sacrifice; I didn't care for it at first, but having experimented with it, I have started to like it more. It's funny too since I quit playing originally around the time they added Knight of the Chalice.

And interesting. I appreciate the information about this bug! And yes, I do use a lot of modifier keys.

Shame that it does nothing, cuz I agree, the animation is really cool.

On that note, any recommendations for keeping the game controls manageable without using a lot of modifier keys? That's always been one of my hang ups with most games that have customizable UIs
    Last edited by thegreatcthulhu; 09-11-2022 at 09:02 PM.