Community Member

Default Loader stuck installing since update 56

Since update 56, the loader has not been able to move past installing the microsoft visual c++ 2010 redistributable package (x64)
    I tried deleting and reinstalling the game (and associated folders/preference files) - but still stuck at that same point.

Any ideas?

I am wondering if my old mid 2012 macbook has finally aged-out. haha

Don’t despair - here’s what worked for me, posted a couple of days ago on the thread just below this one:

“I'm running on an Intel High Sierra, OS 10.13.6, using Wine 1.8.6 (so similar age to yours?) and I found this fix described in a LOTRO thread (https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...age-quot/page4) from 2019 where Mac users were having the same frustrations.

What I'm doing:

1. Before launching DDO, I'm opening Activity Monitor (from Applications > Utilities) and a spare browser window (the browser window doesn't seem to be absolutely necessary, it just speeds things up when the launcher is trying to open a window to Microsoft)

2. Launch DDO - get to the message described in the quote above, and everything stops.

3. Go to Activity Monitor, where wine-preloader seems to be taking up all the CPU work (NOT the '64' version, just the plain preloader). Quit that.

4. Wait just a sec while the DDO launcher tries to open a link to download MS Visual C++ (404 not found, but that doesn't matter). Close that browser window.

5. Back in the DDO launcher, normal service is resumed. (First time I did this, this morning, I then had to wait ages for the U56 patch to load too - but there was at least progress and the game does now play).

It's very much a workaround, not a fix, but for me at least it does work. I hope the same for you too.

Good luck and I hope you can get back on soon.”

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grovie_one View Post
    “I'm running on an Intel High Sierra, OS 10.13.6, using Wine 1.8.6 (so similar age to yours?) and I found this fix described in a LOTRO thread (https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...age-quot/page4) from 2019 where Mac users were having the same frustrations.
    Thanks - that seems to have moved me into 14944 forward iterations part of the update.

I am running it on the same setup. To be honest, kind of surprised that I can still run the game on something this old, so I can't really complain too much about having to do workarounds - or the odd lags/freezing.

Community Member

Don’t despair - here’s what worked for me, posted a couple of days ago on the thread just below this one:

What I'm doing:

1. Before launching DDO, I'm opening Activity Monitor (from Applications > Utilities) and a spare browser window (the browser window doesn't seem to be absolutely necessary, it just speeds things up when the launcher is trying to open a window to Microsoft)

2. Launch DDO - get to the message described in the quote above, and everything stops.

3. Go to Activity Monitor, where wine-preloader seems to be taking up all the CPU work (NOT the '64' version, just the plain preloader). Quit that.

4. Wait just a sec while the DDO launcher tries to open a link to download MS Visual C++ (404 not found, but that doesn't matter). Close that browser window.

5. Back in the DDO launcher, normal service is resumed. (First time I did this, this morning, I then had to wait ages for the U56 patch to load too - but there was at least progress and the game does now play).

It's very much a workaround, not a fix, but for me at least it does work. I hope the same for you too.

Thank you sooooo much for this! Really saved me.

Community Member

What I'm doing:

This got me through the "installing Microsoft visual C++ 2010 redistributable package (x64)" part and through the download to the login screen like you said, but when I put in my password it lets me select my server and then when I hit the Play button it says "getting in line to connect" and then sends me back to the login to put my password in. I tried repairing the launcher, redownloading, and even updating to Mojave (still supports 32-bit) to see if that helped but it didnt. Any other options you know of?