Question Alchemist Trapper Build?

I am TR-ing my Monk into an Alchemist, the goal is to get back to 20 and spin a few epic lives, usually at around R2-3.

I need to be able to do traps to fill that need in my static group. So, my choices are:

1. Splash a single level of rogue/arti and go 19 Alchemist Bombardier. The loss of the capstone will hurt, for sure, but is it a deal breaker?
    This one is also pretty painful in the early levels, no multivial until 13.

2. Deeper splash to go 18 Alchemist / 2x thrower - either VKF or Dart. In that case, should I go tier 5/core 5 Vile Chemist, or tier 5 / capstone
    VKF, or something else? What's my best splash?

3. Go 18 Alchemist/ 2 Arti (maybe deeper splash) Inquisitive - better early game, better trapping w/ Inquisitive core 3. In this case, tier 5
    inquisitive or tier 5 Vile Chemist?

Thanks for your help!
    Khyber, Dragon Order of Arcanix (Elsir - Heroic Completionist running Racial TRs, Veryunique, Skullcrshr, TheMadness - fun builds for duo play w/ my wife)

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalDad View Post
    the goal is to get back to 20 and spin a few epic lives, usually at around R2-3.
    You know you lose any "first time" questing bonuses until you TR again, right? So "a few" lives will be noticeably slow after the first one.

The question you have to ask is (and always is)... "Is what I'm gaining worth what I'm losing?. In this case, in the context of "Will this get me where I'm going faster?". If you were only going to 20, I'd say - yes, no big loss - but if you're going to cycle to 30 a couple(!) times, then it might hurt too much, and you def want to maximize whatever you're going to have at 20.

I am TR-ing my Monk into an Alchemist, the goal is to get back to 20 and spin a few epic lives, usually at around R2-3.

I need to be able to do traps to fill that need in my static group. So, my choices are:

1. Splash a single level of rogue/arti and go 19 Alchemist Bombardier. The loss of the capstone will hurt, for sure, but is it a deal breaker?

2. Deeper splash to go 18 Alchemist / 2x thrower - either VKF or Dart. In that case, should I go tier 5/core 5 Vile Chemist, or tier 5 / capstone

3. Go 18 Alchemist/ 2 Arti (maybe deeper splash) Inquisitive - better early game, better trapping w/ Inquisitive core 3. In this case, tier 5

Thanks for your help!
    If it were me I'd go for what style I most want to play, and what gear to I have to make that build viable. But here are some ideas:

If you go inquisitive, go t5 & capstone inquisitive, core 5 vile chemist, harper for know the angles.

If you go 1 arti/19 bomber just use harper hit/damage/stance and your favourite repeaters, and go into apothecary for the cause wounds sla's. When you get to 13 reset your enhancements into bomber for w/e element you have the gear for (the malleable scepters of your element from the eyes chain are super and all you need to get to 20, or the sickles from the rage chain). I think there is are more than enough bonus caster levels to take another class, I'd go barbarian for move speed but others might give you bonuses you want. Yes you lose multivial sla but just add in another aoe dps spell for the rotation.

Community Member

Thanks for your help!
    Losing second and cheaper multivial is definitely a deal breaker for me if going to go beyond 20.

I haven’t played, but heard darts are underwhelming.

So that leaves thrower or inquisitive as the only logical choices. I have seen people do 12 alchemist, 6 ranger (or arty) and 2 arty (ranger) and like it as inquisitor. Not sure about thrower version. But I would look at 18 alchemist / 1 rogue / 1 wiz or fighter maybe? Definitely Vistani for thrower. This all assuming you want alchemist past life. Otherwise there are more equitable splits. And throwers are so crappy to level in heroics btw. Vistani is the least painful path although.
    Last edited by jskinner937; 09-04-2022 at 02:11 AM.

Community Member

Thrower isn't bad, but as I'm cannith crafting my own returning throwing daggers, i can put the effects i want. And of course, using VA 1-3 from Harper.