Community Member

Default New Bank Appears to Delete Character Bound Items

Tested with a few (3-4) items now.

Moving a character bound item from character bank to account bank seems to delete the item.

It will still pop up the prompt that you "cant have character bound items in the account shared bank", but the item disappears from the character bank, as if it was moved.

It is not in account bank, character bank, nor inventory.

I didn't lose anything too major, but someone is going to not be paying attention and get something like SoS deleted.

Community Member

Default Detail Update

Moving Character Bound items from a character bank sub tab to the account bank main tab, will move the item to the character Bank main tab; no issue.

Moving Character Bound items from a character bank main tab to the account bank main tab, will not move the item; no issue

Moving Character Bound items from a character bank main tab to an account bank sub tab, deletes the item; ISSUE

Community Manager

Character bound items are currently no longer displaying in your Character Bank if you attempt to move them into a non-Main tab of the Shared Account Bank. Note that Character Bound items do not go into your Shared Account Bank. These items are not missing from your character data, but they are not currently displaying. When we correct this bug in the near future these items will re-appear in your Character Bank.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Character bound items are currently no longer displaying in your Character Bank if you attempt to move them into a non-Main tab of the Shared Account Bank. Note that Character Bound items do not go into your Shared Account Bank. These items are not missing from your character data, but they are not currently displaying. When we correct this bug in the near future these items will re-appear in your Character Bank.
    Good to hear thanks for the quick clarification, ill keep a look out on the next patches.

Community Member

Up.

So how "near future" is this going to be fixed? Like a new restart "like now" or next week restart?

Community Member Thumbed_Servant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dohlasaur View Post
    Good to hear thanks for the quick clarification, ill keep a look out on the next patches.
    Can you say: Hot Fix? Coming to a server near you soon!!!!

PS: LOVE finally having searchable bank inventory!!! And sortable!!! And customizeable tabs...didn't expect that!!!
    Last edited by Thumbed_Servant; 08-31-2022 at 02:42 PM.
    Thumbed_Servant (to my cats ) I LOVE playing a healer (nannybot to the derisive folks)
    Leader: Order of Sunlit Rose on Argonnessen server
    Current active toons: Muhther....going through the Passed Lives grind at my own pace...currently lvl 28

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbed_Servant View Post
    Can you say: Hot Fix? Coming to a server near you soon!!!!

PS: LOVE finally having searchable bank inventory!!! And sortable!!! And customizeable tabs...didn't expect that!!!
    Technically with DDO Trove we’ve had this feature and it tracks across all characters as well. Although TR cache has never been a feature of Trove.

Although it’s integrated now which is nice. It would have been nice to have actually provided something more for the real need. Extra space and eliminating the TR Cache altogether. Banking is a source of a lot of problems. Lag, Duping, etc. I think this portion of the update was marginalized for what it could have been. Heck even if it was sold in the store, I would buy more shared bank space.

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    Technically with DDO Trove we’ve had this feature and it tracks across all characters as well. Although TR cache has never been a feature of Trove.

Although it’s integrated now which is nice. It would have been nice to have actually provided something more for the real need. Extra space and eliminating the TR Cache altogether. Banking is a source of a lot of problems. Lag, Duping, etc. I think this portion of the update was marginalized for what it could have been. Heck even if it was sold in the store, I would buy more shared bank space.
    I still think it is great that it is in the game now.

And ty...I did not know if DDO Trove. I did a cursory look and will have to try to install that in the near future.
    Thumbed_Servant (to my cats ) I LOVE playing a healer (nannybot to the derisive folks)
    Current active toons: Muhther....going through the Passed Lives grind at my own pace...currently lvl 28

Community Member

How did a bug this obvious make it into a live release?

2014 DDO Players Council hale99's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eantarus View Post
    When all the devs care about is pushing updates the stuff that SHOULD be quality tested never is. This happened with the Dino update too. It was a massive failure with all the bugs and issues because they just had to push it out ASAP rather than wait a week and run some simple tests.

Main ~ Killsteal

1. Test case was missed from the test script or
    2. Last minute fox was made without full regression testing

Developers generally aren’t good at testing the full range of things that real users will do, usually within a very short window of going live.
    Server Sarlona / MST / Guild Enslaved / Characters Ionos, Cydekik, Xalavan, Rodessa, Hethrow, Ramsteen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    1. Test case was missed from the test script or
    2. Last minute fox was made without full regression testing

Developers generally aren’t good at testing the full range of things that real users will do, usually within a very short window of going live.
    This is why there are people called "QA Testers". Unlike the traditional picture of "video game testers" who are over-weight acne-riddled nerds who wanted to play games for a living and lack any social or job skills, QA Testing is an actual specialty. Its something people go to school for. Its something they train for. An actual, professional QA tester would have caught this inside of 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aUtQQmYCGc

An actual, professional QA tester would have caught this inside of 5 minutes.
    Agreed, but after technical writers, QA testers are often the ones who get axed when companies "consolidate operations" (or whatever the current euphemism for downsizing is at the moment).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Merfyn View Post
    Agreed, but after technical writers, QA testers are often the ones who get axed when companies "consolidate operations" (or whatever the current euphemism for downsizing is at the moment).
    Yup. That's why I went into support. We get axed slightly less often. As for SSG, they've never had full-time QA and possibly not ever an actual trained QA Engineer.

Default DDO works...really

DDO works really well considering all the code added over 16 years. It is up 98% or more of the time in my estimation. Standing Stone Games puts out updates and new content to sell so they stay in business. Then when the live updates spawn bugs they didn't find in testing (as stated, players en masse playing will find bugs that 10 times as much pre-release testing time would never find) they get to work repairing the bugs as fast as they can. I enjoy the game, it is almost always up when I want to play and when it isn't up...well, there are other things that need my attention.

TY SSG for all the hard work that gives us so many hours of enjoyment.

Now, about the lag.... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbed_Servant View Post
    DDO works really well considering all the code added over 16 years. It is up 98% or more of the time in my estimation. Standing Stone Games puts out updates and new content to sell so they stay in business. Then when the live updates spawn bugs they didn't find in testing (as stated, players en masse playing will find bugs that 10 times as much pre-release testing time would never find) they get to work repairing the bugs as fast as they can. I enjoy the game, it is almost always up when I want to play and when it isn't up...well, there are other things that need my attention.

TY SSG for all the hard work that gives us so many hours of enjoyment.

Now, about the lag.... :P
    With all respect, therein (your post) lies the problem.
    • Yes, it's nearly two decades old. Does that mean it should just shrug its shoulders in comparison to contemporary code?
    • Yes, selling new content is the priority, while bug fixes are the hind teat. Does that mean SSG ought to prioritize game-breaking revisions while ignoring long-standing bugs?
    • As I understand it, Lammania *exists* purely as a testing instance. How does that justify distribution of releases so buggy that they require rollbacks & system outages?

Posts such as these will let the QA/QC pat themselves on the back & tell themselves they're doing a good job, when they're patently not. Their lack of diligence is losing customers (and payoff, i.e. VIP subscription) faster than necessary. Just because we sympathize (and it seems like many of us have backgrounds in IT-related disciplines) hardly means SSG should view customer-alienating decisions as, "'darn' the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

The Council & other means of feedback are good starters, but hardly worth slapping a coat of varnish on them & calling it done. These dedicated forums are ready-made, active feedback yet SSG seems to almost never comment, much less contribute.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I suspect that SSG is taking advice from a small subset of customers, rather than performing proper analysis. Those "friendly" customers are leading SSG astray, where proper feedback & focus group analysis would yield far better data.

Nerfing Sonic Blast "just because" it could have been nerfed a decade ago?

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    Last minute fox
    Snuck into the Henhouse at that last minute...