Default DRAGONLANCE - next factuable expansion for DDO ?

Coming from a topic where Kurts asked for a Lance weapon addition to the game...

I wonder if DragonLance will be the next factuable expansion for DDO.

possible ? not possible ?

wouldn't be amazing ?

what do you think ?

Quote Originally Posted by drathdragon View Post
    Coming from a topic where Kurts asked for a Lance weapon addition to the game...

I wonder if DragonLance will be the next factuable expansion for DDO.

possible ? not possible ?

wouldn't be amazing ?

what do you think ?
    Unfortunately I believe there are all sorts of issues with being able to use the that particular IP due to some kind of thing between Weis/Hickman and Wizards of the Coast, so it all seems rather unlikely.

Which is a shame, because Dragonlance is my favourite (and far more cohesive than Forgotten Realms) setting - though more so before the Age of Mortals came along.

An expansion or pack featuring more than 1 or 2 dragons would be nice to have in any case.
    On a break. BRB maybe.

I am definitely Pro-Dragonlance. In fact, my three favorite worlds in D&D are:

• Forgotten Realms
    • Dragonlance
    • Ravenloft

However, if I had to choose, I'd like to see specific expansion into Forgotten Realms before Dragonlance or any other world is added. Since Eveningstar is in the area of Cormyr I wouldn't mind seeing this large city added.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.
    Motto: Enjoy the game, loot and XP will follow

Quote Originally Posted by eightspoons View Post
    Unfortunately I believe there are all sorts of issues with being able to use the that particular IP due to some kind of thing between Weis/Hickman and Wizards of the Coast, so it all seems rather unlikely.

Which is a shame, because Dragonlance is my favourite (and far more cohesive than Forgotten Realms) setting - though more so before the Age of Mortals came along.

An expansion or pack featuring more than 1 or 2 dragons would be nice to have in any case.
    I’m a big fan as well but from what so understand that has all been dropped

I don’t think that Weis & Hickman retain any kind of rights to Dragonlance games just the books

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    I’m a big fan as well but from what so understand that has all been dropped

I don’t think that Weis & Hickman retain any kind of rights to Dragonlance games just the books
    I confess I'm out of date when it comes to any drama surrounding Dragonlance (not that I paid too much attention in the first place).

Still not getting my hopes up though
    On a break. BRB maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by eightspoons View Post
    I confess I'm out of date when it comes to any drama surrounding Dragonlance (not that I paid too much attention in the first place).

Still not getting my hopes up though
    Yeah looking into it looks like both WoTC are doing Dragonlance games and Wei’s & Hickman have a game on but that doesn’t mention Dragonlance on it even though it is in the clearly in the setting

Community Member

The best expansion of the game would be to fully flesh out Eberron. We've barely scratched the surface of what Eberron has to offer. This is also the IP that SSG has clear rights too and they'll get less pushback if they expand there.

However Eberron is a lesser known realm of the D&D universe and so we get periodic journeys out to other worlds to try to expand the marketability of the game. In the case of Ravenloft this was done very effectively. Moves into the Forgotten Realms have been less well implemented. The Feywild and Isle of Dread have been so uninteresting to me, as a steampunk DDO-er, that I have barely played the former and have no plans to purchase the latter.

meh ... could be worse

Weis and Hickmans relationship with tsr and wizards has been contentious for most of the last 25-30 years. The fact that new dl stuff came/is coming shocks the hell out of me considering the dirty deal wiz gave them the last time when they re-edited in very modern wizards post 2016 ghosbusters modern type way *cough* that was not agreed upon and well it went downhill fast from there (this is the outside view that i read about but considering wizards hiring policies, please see outside articles as I wont post things like that here least i get banned for someone finding out what wizards is actually like...) the first book of what i think was supposed to close out dragon lance in a book duo (sorry its been a year or two since i read up about it).

That said something being signed off for ddo... wouldnt count on it in the slightest.

Don't get me wrong, to fight beside Huma, or to have a set piece set in the fall of Ishtar, or to visit the Inn of the Last Home, even to face Chaos with Palin and Usha..... would love to see a live action version of any of the major time periods.. but it would be such a pain with magic etc.... though 3 new wizard archtypes for the 3 moons would take care of any dragonlance born characters.... hmm guess it could work. Though I dread Raistlin getting the ddo elminster treatment lol.

Before I get anyone going "what about age of mortals"... People would defecate a brick if they were stuck playing something that took place in the time of Mina and the super dragons... man what an idiotic storyline.. giant dragons travel the spheres and end up in the one place with weapons designed specifically to off their rear ends.... uhg.... and *redated* was one the whole time.... UHG!!!
    Last edited by Xaxx; 08-31-2022 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaxx View Post
    Weis and Hickmans relationship with tsr and wizards has been contentious for most of the last 25-30 years. The fact that new dl stuff came/is coming shocks the hell out of me considering the dirty deal wiz gave them the last time when they re-edited in very modern wizards post 2016 ghosbusters modern type way *cough* that was not agreed upon and well it went downhill fast from there (this is the outside view that i read about but considering wizards hiring policies, please see outside articles as I wont post things like that here least i get banned for someone finding out what wizards is actually like...) the first book of what i think was supposed to close out dragon lance in a book duo (sorry its been a year or two since i read up about it).

That said something being signed off for ddo... wouldnt count on it in the slightest.

Don't get me wrong, to fight beside Huma, or to have a set piece set in the fall of Ishtar, or to visit the Inn of the Last Home, even to face Chaos with Palin and Usha..... would love to see a live action version of any of the major time periods.. but it would be such a pain with magic etc.... though 3 new wizard archtypes for the 3 moons would take care of any dragonlance born characters.... hmm guess it could work. Though I dread Raistlin getting the ddo elminster treatment lol.
    Yeah there is history there but there’s been drama surrounding intellectual property stuff with dnd since the start

As far as I know this has all been settled and WoTC is putting out Dragonlance stuff so I see no reason DDO couldn’t get it

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    Yeah there is history there but there’s been drama surrounding intellectual property stuff with dnd since the start

As far as I know this has all been settled and WoTC is putting out Dragonlance stuff so I see no reason DDO couldn’t get it
    Ddo is fairly low priority for something returning to the fold for the firs time since second edition? 3rd? When was the last time they ported anything from dl, and far as I know they're not porting the classic dl models are they? If they are I missed that, i thought i was new stuff set in the time of the war? Either way its more likely if there was to be something it would be a neverwinter exclusive, or we'd get crumbs of it.. year of the dragon.. year of drizzt... any of that sound familiar? heh

Community Member

No.

Dark Sun or real actual Greyhawk instead of these little bits and pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaxx View Post
    Ddo is fairly low priority for something returning to the fold for the firs time since second edition? 3rd? When was the last time they ported anything from dl, and far as I know they're not porting the classic dl models are they? If they are I missed that, i thought i was new stuff set in the time of the war? Either way its more likely if there was to be something it would be a neverwinter exclusive, or we'd get crumbs of it.. year of the dragon.. year of drizzt... any of that sound familiar? heh
    DDO has gotten things that are current so Dragonlance or Spelljammer could happen