Community Member

Default Twf barbarian cleric

Contemplating a build just because I think it might be fun to try, leveling build for Hardcore. My Palemaster build got smoked in the ruins of Threnal when I stepped away. I was out of the dungeon but forgot I was still technically in a Wilderness setting when I was talking to Sal Danek and a Hound got me when I was away!! I came back to the Land of the dead. My own fault, fortunately I didn't dump a bunch of money into it!

Now, I want to try something a little less conventional. I'm thinking an Aasimar Scourge build. Start with 2 levels of Ranger for the feats and skill points, the next two levels as Barbarian for the hit points and blood tribute. Spend the next 5-6 levels at cleric for the buffs and the hit point buff for animal. Finish up to 20 with Ranger. 12 ranger/6 cleric/2 Barbarian. Given all the free two weapon feats with ranger and just using the cleric for buffs, it leaves a lot of feats to work with. Thoughts? I know it's not meta and not going to be a good end game character but I'm just wanting to play something that's a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by GLITRKING View Post
    Contemplating a build just because I think it might be fun to try, leveling build for Hardcore. My Palemaster build got smoked in the ruins of Threnal when I stepped away. I was out of the dungeon but forgot I was still technically in a Wilderness setting when I was talking to Sal Danek and a Hound got me when I was away!!
    I've always wanted to stress test how many people could fit in that little public area tavern out there. Good luck with your new build!

Quote Originally Posted by GLITRKING View Post
    Contemplating a build just because I think it might be fun to try, l
    If you do that, please come back and tell how it went. I so love unconventional builds! The cookie cutters weren't cutting the hardcore cookie for me, so I went with:

- 2 barb
    I did it for the blood tribute, which I barely used. Satyed for the "dire harder" which brings you back from below 1 hotpoint with 30hp.
    - 5 wizard
    For Eldritch Knight - medium arbor, full BAB, some melee power, a bit of elemental damage, haste and displacement. And that other sweet defensive enhancement which gives you Radiant Forcefield when you fall below 50% hp.
    13 cleric
    For massive heals, prots/resists, deathward etc., another automatic damage protection (stalwart pact), 10hp per cleric level, and ability to turn rats, bats and dogs which turned out to be massively useful.

So far I think HP is the single most important factor for hardcore, ability to replenish quickly it at close second. So I think animal domain is a great idea, it's just that 5 levels of cleric give you only 50hp. It's not nothing, but could be more (plus at clr7 you get deathward).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by gott_ist_tot View Post
    If you do that, please come back and tell how it went. I so love unconventional builds! The cookie cutters weren't cutting the hardcore cookie for me, so I went with:

- 2 barb
    I did it for the blood tribute, which I barely used. Satyed for the "dire harder" which brings you back from below 1 hotpoint with 30hp.
    - 5 wizard
    For Eldritch Knight - medium arbor, full BAB, some melee power, a bit of elemental damage, haste and displacement. And that other sweet defensive enhancement which gives you Radiant Forcefield when you fall below 50% hp.
    13 cleric
    For massive heals, prots/resists, deathward etc., another automatic damage protection (stalwart pact), 10hp per cleric level, and ability to turn rats, bats and dogs which turned out to be massively useful.

So far I think HP is the single most important factor for hardcore, ability to replenish quickly it at close second. So I think animal domain is a great idea, it's just that 5 levels of cleric give you only 50hp. It's not nothing, but could be more (plus at clr7 you get deathward).
    Ok, it was pretty fun! I went with 12 ranger/6 cleric/2 barbarian on Aasimar. Deity was Sovereign Host for the longsword favored weapon and went with Animal on the domain for the extra hit points. Strength build and didn't put anything into wisdom, just used items to get enough wisdom to cast spells. All his spells were buffs, so I wasn't really worried about being able to cast while raging. If I got in trouble just hit the Blood tribute or Healing Hands. Feats were abundant. Good at range with all the free ranger feats and all I took to add on was point blank range. Ran with Serpentbranch and then a Macabre throughout. Nothing major but suitable when I needed something for distance. With the improved criticals, all the two weapon feats, knights training and power attack with plenty left over for some toughness feats or whatever else you might want to throw in there. Very difficult to kill with the Blood Tribute, Healing Hand and Host heal there was always a bounty of hit points. I soloed some R1's that I knew really well but mostly ran Elites and Hards and can honestly say throughout the whole leveling process, I never felt like there was an "OH $#!+" moment where I thought he might not make it. It's very flexible, you can run it light for evasion and build it on a dex build, you can go heavy armor and go with strength build or shoot if you wanted, you could build it as a Falconry build and go wisdom for both ranged and melee. Extremely versatile and fun. I'll do it again. You could run it on several different races as well, of course anything with a strength, con or wisdom advantage would probably be a good fit.