Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Can we please get a full time Hard Core Server?

With the Hard Core server almost half way done its season, I'm wondering if there's other people out there like me, that are bored with the zero risk environment of standard servers?

Would it be possible for us to get a full time Hard Core server that just has the basic rules of the other servers? Between seasons, it would be nice to move our characters to a server that still has the one life mechanic, but doesn't keep the 2 level gap and the hounds?

In other games with seasons, like Path of Exile, they have a full time Hard Core server so players can play their old characters under the same conditions, and I think there's a lot of people who would be interested in this.

I personally came back to play on this new Hard Core server, and I'm not really interested in continuing to play this game on regular servers.

Are there other people out there like me who want access to a full time perma-death server?

Not unless they merge all other servers.
    Bought my first dungeon master's guide in 1992. My favourite part of ddo is coffee and slayers

Community Member

If you want that restriction all the time, then simply restrict yourself. If you need other people with the same restriction, join a perma death guild

The seasonality is the whole point of hard core....both from the players side, having everyone start fresh from scratch at the same time...and from a business side, having all the revenue from people p2wing and buying their boosts each season, and buying unlocks they otherwise would just unlock for free

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    If you want that restriction all the time, then simply restrict yourself. If you need other people with the same restriction, join a perma death guild

The seasonality is the whole point of hard core....both from the players side, having everyone start fresh from scratch at the same time...and from a business side, having all the revenue from people p2wing and buying their boosts each season, and buying unlocks they otherwise would just unlock for free
    This

Community Member

They'll never do this because it would provide an alternate way to play DDO in an environment that encouraged that play style.

This is like the Newbie server I have pressed for at times. It would bare the big lie in DDO, which is that people prefer the grind to the game. In fact people likely would prefer the game to the grind and that's a risk SSG is unlikely to take.

Community Member

Agreed that if they were to da a permanent Hardcore Server(which I don't believe they are likely to). They would need to allow cross server grouping or a server merge as the regular servers empty during hardcore season especially around mid season when things are in full swing over there. I've tried 3 times in the last few days to get raids going on Sarlona checking to make sure enough level 29+ levels were on to even get a group together and... crickets each time, no-one really interested at all in PUG Raids and the ones I've joined around 3 aswell also fell flat due to noone else bar myself and maybe up to 2 others at most showing.

No

and i don't even fully understand the reasons of the O.P. for what he wrote.

To have a regular server with a 'renewn' challenge the permadeath is not the right thing to do.
    We have already Reaper, maybe devs could have other ideas and invent something else.. idk.

HardCoreLeague is an idea born to be a single event, that could be repeated, but still a temporary server moment.
    The stress is super high and the curve of appealing is very short, i saw some players already tired after just 1 week of it.

Default Hardcore Server is to hard and Normal Servers are to easy

I am only a casual player and I like to play new content and from time to time some variations in the game.

Personally, I find it hard to play hardcore because one simple mistake (or even just bad luck) and that was it with your character. (reroll and repeat from beginning...)
    On the normal servers I like the progression of the character but also rarely reincarnate (I do not like to repeat many quests again...)

I often thought about why we cannot get a hardcore like mode per quest instead of per server. (e.g. Reaper Hardcore)
    If you die in a quest, you cannot be resurrected but you can stay until the end of the quest to look how the rest of the party progress and get normal experience at the end.
    If you survive the quest until end, you can get some bonus experience in addition and collect a special kind of price/score/collectable etc.

Just my initial thoughts when I read about the hardcore topic...
    Argonessen - Guild: "Married with Children" / Clagor Dan - Elf - Tempest (18 Ranger / 1 Barbarian / 1 Rogue) / Glagor Dan - Drow - Pale Master (18 Wizard / 2 Rogue)

I agree and have asked for it several times in several ways ...
    and
    SSG answer is NO

Regardless of your wishes, you are considered 'content' by other players
    who want you to fill in their raid parties to run raids they have done
    a zillion times because they are missing some shiny item.

Now prepare for a dozen posts reminding you you can always join a permadeath guild
    ( I think there are like 2 active) that have far more restrictive rules than
    HCL making most of them 'unfun'. or you can just pretend it is HCL
    and delete yourself.

I personally hope they pretend to have a full raid party
    and charge in there solo. :-)

So welcome to the 'resistance'.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fatherpirate View Post
    and
    SSG answer is NO

Now prepare for a dozen posts reminding you you can always join a permadeath guild
    and delete yourself.

That self-styled rebel pose of yours has become trite years ago. Please invent a new act.

I am not a rebel.
    I am OLD.

My 'style' is burned in hard.

I don't change for anyone.

Have a nice day.

Would rather have a permanent legacy server, level cap 20.
    Darkwinn, Milkus, Terismina, Gothmawg, Dreylock, Drunarah, Bigbhamboo, etc on Sarlona / Brixlynn, Mofus, Curgoth, Deidlit, etc on Ghalanda.

What I would prefer (and not get)

would be 1 mega public server and allow anyone who is VIP to open a private server
    (like fallout 76) that the VIP person set the rules (out of a set of available rules)
    and invite any guild mates or friends to join them.

private server toons stay on the private server, public stay on the public.

that would be my preference.

chance for that? less than zero.
    (for several reasons)

and
    SSG answer is NO

and delete yourself.

No one is wants to force you to join their group

What they do want is to play with others it is an MMO

As previously mentioned it could work if we had cross server grouping

You can still solo all you want

If permadeath guild rules are too restrictive for you start your own thing or better yet play by your own rules since you are solo anyway
    Last edited by Oxarhamar; 08-28-2022 at 10:32 AM.

What I would prefer (and not get)

would be 1 mega public server and allow anyone who is VIP to open a private server
    (like fallout 76) that the VIP person set the rules (out of a set of available rules)
    and invite any guild mates or friends to join them.

private server toons stay on the private server, public stay on the public.

that would be my preference.

chance for that? less than zero.
    (for several reasons)
    Yeah we will never get private servers

You can enforce whatever rules you want on yourself especially if you are solo

It seems to me there are an awful lot of players on the hardcore server. I believe that one of the issues with hardcore that many people have is that it makes the main servers like ghost towns for a while.

So it is obvious that people in general do like the hardcore server.

So, if a lot of people like the hardcore server and play the hardcore server is it too much of a stretch to ask for a permanent hardcore server?

And as for you nay sayers who hate the idea, then there is a simple answer for you too. Don't play the new server. No one would be making you play the new server. By all means express your opinion, but understand some of us would like the idea and if you don't then go your own way. All the OP is asking is to be allowed to go his own way.

I find the hardcore server the best part of this game and I for one completely agree with the OP and think a permanent hardcore server would be awesome.

And for those of you saying just delete your character or join a permadeath guild, it isn't quite the same. I personally couldn't bring myself to delete a character and throw all that gear away. I couldn't do it on my own and I probably wouldn't. I wish it were so easy. The temptation is too great.

The only way it would work for me and probably for a lot of the people who play hardcore is if it is built into the game.

Believe it or not, I have got all the rewards I believe I will be able to get but I am still creating and playing characters on the hardcore server. I just prefer it and the game seems more meaningful to me and a lot more enjoyable. Those stupid hounds however, I could do without those. I hate this season worse than any of the others, but I still find it way more thrilling and satisfying than the normal servers.

With all of that said, I don't think a hardcore server would be sustainable. Near the end of the season, when all of the people have got their rewards or given up, the hardcore server becomes a ghost town.

Just as I don't think I could impose permadeath on myself, I don't believe others would play the game for the simply enjoyment of it. There would have to be continuously updating rewards to keep most people's interest for any real length of time in a perma-permadeath server.
    Last edited by TedSandyman; 08-28-2022 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Snip~
    With all of that said, I don't think a hardcore server would be sustainable. Near the end of the season, when all of the people have got their rewards or given up, the hardcore server becomes a ghost town.

Just as I don't think I could impose permadeath on myself, I don't believe others would play the game for the simply enjoyment of it. There would have to be continuously updating rewards to keep most people's interest for any real length of time in a permadeath server.

This

There are those who enjoy the gameplay and then there are those who want the bragging right cosmetic

I don’t think the server would be nearly as populated without the seasons rewards or leaderboards

What hardcore does do is show how well grouping works with a concentrated population
    Last edited by Oxarhamar; 08-28-2022 at 11:14 AM.

Community Member

No.

Don't accept a rez when offered. When your character dies, delete and roll a new one. Bing bang boom, you've got what you want.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLiger View Post
    They would need to allow cross server grouping
    Why are you phrasing this as if cross-server grouping already exists, but we are simply forbidden from using it?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    This

There are those who enjoy the gameplay and then there are those who want the bragging right cosmetic

I don’t think the server would be nearly as populated without the seasons rewards or leaderboards

What hardcore does do is show how well grouping works with a concentrated population
    The bragging right cosmetic could become a multi-year goal for people who wanted the HC playstyle but don't have the time to grind the way people getting the rewards do now.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast