Default Looking For A Throwing-Star Monk Build

I am not familiar enough with monks to suss out a good build on my own, so any advice would be welcomed!

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I posted a halfling pure monk here. Technically doable without Horizon Walker and Vistani Knife Fighter, but both provide useful DPS buffs and are recommended.

Also see Carpone's ranged DPS comparisons.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

20 Monk, Drow is fine, ranged feats as normal are fine (PBS > Rapid Shot (quick draw if not getting from VKF), deflect arrows, PS, IC:T...

PA shared mantle for procs (acid/poison/force), SD strike and dash imbue for procs (force), SC whirling wrists.

Don't take IPS, it will lower proc damage 20% and procs are metered by time and don't IPS.

Summon a CR63 = CL 63 wolf from legendary whistle and some CR63 oozes from legendary ooze weapon on bosses.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 08-18-2022 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    20 Monk, Drow is fine, ranged feats as normal are fine (PBS > Rapid Shot (quick draw if not getting from VKF), deflect arrows, PS, IC:T...

PA shared mantle for procs (acid/poison/force), SD strike and dash imbue for procs (force), SC whirling wrists.

Don't take IPS, it will lower proc damage 20% and procs are metered by time and don't IPS.

Summon a CR63 = CL 63 wolf from legendary whistle and some CR63 oozes from legendary ooze weapon on bosses.
    Thank you for the info, but what is IPS?

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I posted a halfling pure monk here. Technically doable without Horizon Walker and Vistani Knife Fighter, but both provide useful DPS buffs and are recommended.

Also see Carpone's ranged DPS comparisons.
    And thank you as well.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akisohida View Post
    Thank you for the info, but what is IPS?
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Improved_Precise_Shot
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

When you say procs in PA, do you mean due to melee attacks by your hires/pets, spells aka shard storm, or ranged dmg from shurikens? Does anything in PA add props to thrown wrap dmg? I thought mantle was just spells. Wouldn't shiradi props do more dps?

Thanks

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasonayoung View Post
    When you say procs in PA, do you mean due to melee attacks by your hires/pets, spells aka shard storm, or ranged dmg from shurikens? Does anything in PA add props to thrown wrap dmg? I thought mantle was just spells. Wouldn't shiradi props do more dps?

Thanks

Ok so I'm a dummy. The mantle text reads "any melee or ranged attack can also generate one of these effect."

Bingo, if you can pump your elemental spell power even a little bit, Primal stance blows away shiradi in my testing. I still use pin and hunts end strikes but in Primal stance, with "shared mantle".

Next question, on a sharing build, can I use a named star like compass rose on main hand (for set bonus) and a put aspect of tar on off hand crafted dino kama with horn slot? Will it proc tar on main hand hits?

If not I need to switch it and find a named set item for offhand that won't uncenter me

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasonayoung View Post
    Next question, on a sharing build, can I use a named star like compass rose on main hand (for set bonus) and a put aspect of tar on off hand crafted dino kama with horn slot? Will it proc tar on main hand hits?

If not I need to switch it and find a named set item for offhand that won't uncenter me
    That's a great question, but I don't know, there hasn't been much dino testing posted, I don't have any of the gear to test, and I don't see pug raids for it so don't expect to have the gear to test unless it can be soloed.

There have also been a lot of stat squishes and nerfs. Wolf whistle was nerfed 60 to 50 CR, tar oozes are half cr of old LGS ones. I don't know what LGS are at but they may have been nerfed from 63 to 30 cr. I saw a post saying some effects worked in a runearm offhand, but don't know about true offhand.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 12-25-2022 at 12:28 PM.

Community Member

That's a great question, but I don't know, there hasn't been much dino testing posted, I don't have any of the gear to test, and I don't see pug raids for it so don't expect to have the gear to test unless it can be soloed.

There have also been a lot of stat squishes and nerfs. Wolf whistle was nerfed 60 to 50 CR, tar oozes are half cr of old LGS ones. I don't know what LGS are at but they may have been nerfed from 63 to 30 cr. I saw a post saying some effects worked in a runearm offhand, but don't know about true offhand.

Well I bit the bullett and tried it. Aspect of tar in offhand does indeed proc. 1 CR33 ooze. And you get "armor melting" effect on hit.