Community Member

Default Reaper Scaling Question

So, I'm sure what I'm asking was answered when Reaper mode was first implemented, but why does Reaper mode scale down player power? I understand the penalty to self-healing in order to encourage grouping, but I don't understand the scaling down of player damage and saving throws. Wouldn't it make more sense to scale up monster HP and DC's instead of weakening the player's damage and throws?

I've been looking in wiki's and threads but haven't found the design philosophy behind this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghop15 View Post
    ...but why does Reaper mode scale down player power? ... I don't understand the scaling down of player damage and saving throws. ...haven't found the design philosophy behind this.
    There is no "why?", grasshopper, there is only do or not do. Or doodoo.

Seriously, "Why?" gets you nothing. Devs don't share their thought processes, they don't put that out here for us (you, me, them) to critique and judge, and it would be foolish of them to, that's trivially obvious.

I could guess, but so can anyone. Guesses are like orifices - everyone has some.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the same thing: If you don't like it, don't play it.