Community Member

Default anything done to improve trapmaking?

I played a lot a few years back and loved when they came out with trapmaking. looking it up now, last thing I could find about it was two years ago, with a lot of people saying that it tends to drop off in viability in higher tier stuff. is playing as a trapmaker viable?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightKiss View Post
    I played a lot a few years back and loved when they came out with trapmaking. looking it up now, last thing I could find about it was two years ago, with a lot of people saying that it tends to drop off in viability in higher tier stuff. is playing as a trapmaker viable?
    Late to the party, early at the refreshments but trapmaking can be viable, even in upper Reaper but you pretty much have to be INT based and take 3 tiers of Improved Trapmaking, what does suck is that there is no DC for Rogue level, Sneak Attack Dice and Melee/Range Power(mines/grenade damage) attached to it to make it damage worthy, the only viable part is the Magical part of trapmaking, though Web, Dance, Hypnotism last only 1- 3 seconds or not at all in upper Reaper; it should mirror DC's of Caster Mass Hold in timer of affect, instead of 1 second dance or no Web hold.(with Disable Device DC:125+)

Glitterdust and Hypnotic Pattern are the only semi reliable traps

Seeing as how Arti is the only other trap class in the game, it sure would be nice if they would finally also give us the Improved Trapmaking enhancement line

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightKiss View Post
    Dark hunter, of all things:

Improved Traps: +[1/2/3] to the save DC's of Alchemical Trap Attacks and Magical Traps. Elemental Traps that you place now have a DC equal to [65/80/100]% of your Disable Device Skill instead of 50%.

And they get

Lupine Instincts: Your Black Wolf inherits your Search and Spot scores, and will automatically find traps and secret doors for you assuming you meet the statistical threshold. You gain a bonus to Search and Disable Device equal to your Wilderness Lore feats.

which if you go druid/ranger/barb is a LOT of ++ search and dd skills (dd is used for trap dc it seems, per ddowiki.)