Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The official Hounds of Hard Core League 6 survival guide

This is a thread to consolidate strategies to mitigate the Hounds threat and to list their strengths and weaknesses. I will go first:

1. Do not abandon or get separated from your group.

Founder
    Guild Leader - Death Smile

I overheard two hounds in Korthos:
    hound one said: I killed an adventurer with a wooden leg named Smith.
    hound two said: What was the name of his other leg?

Community Member

Play with sound on to hear the howl as they prepare to zone in.

Always have a hireling if going solo.

Make sure the hireling is set to be active - that gets it to the dog a lot faster than a defensive setting.

Have a pet or a summon at all times if possible. They draw aggro, even if not always.

Do not stand still for long. Ideally, do not stand still at all: if you need to wait for something, walk around in circles.

I may be wrong, but I think the howl can only be heard if DM's Voice is on. If true, it is not enough to just have sound on.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Community Member

- Agree running around and ranging seems to be the way to go. Having hires being the only melee seems useful.
    - Your group needs to have some burst dps. When my bear druid died, I switched to a higher dps/lower survivability build. If the hounds are going to kill in 1-2 shots, I think dps matters more than 30 extra hp at level 2.
    - Have voice chat and be ready to use it. We probably would have party wiped if I hadn't called one out, as nobody else in the group knew we had one coming and were going to go engage a boss fight at the same time. I called it out, everyone stepped back a few steps, one person asked "where?", then a couple seconds later got his answer lol. (this one killed both of our hires very fast)
    - Don't put too much faith in pets/hires taking aggro. My first character had a wolf pup, summoned wolf, and hire and I couldn't get aggro off of me.
    - I sincerely wish the champion hounds would follow the same rules as other champions (not till level 3 content). This is an annoying feature that's causing many to rage quit. I was in an excellent korthos group last night and even that almost got wiped in the collaborator as we got a spawn right after starting fight with drexelhand - 2 characters got 1-shot incapacitated. Thank goodness there were 3 in group with healing capabilities. The fvs and cleric both got dropped, bard was able to get both of them back up before dying. The non-champ hounds feel about right in Korthos on elite, however I've only seen one of those and about 5 champs.

Questions:

Has anyone found any form of CC for these things? I'm only running lvl 2/3 groups so far. Can confirm color spray doesn't work at all.

Higher level characters: can anyone say if these things get a little easier as character power increases?

Quote Originally Posted by marinersfan View Post
    Has anyone found any form of CC for these things? I'm only running lvl 2/3 groups so far.
    Death is the best CC.

Borderlands, level 1 Artificer with a dog and Byron Scoutsword hire. The hound appeared during a fight with the lizardfolk. If people are correct about hound's strength depending on the highest level in the party, this is a level 1 hound. Fey Hound had 136 hit points. Fey Hound's attacks did only 5-6 damage to Byron, even though I did not cast Fire Resist on him. It's a bag of hit points. You need serious DPS to kill it fast.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Community Member

Default Korthos

Has anybody encountered Hounds on Korthos Island?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDARC View Post
    Yep, in Heyton's Rest even. Also in lowbie wilderness; I've personally seen one in Borderlands (solo, even), and I've heard of folks finding them in Korthos wilderness

Community Member

I ran into four or five during the Korthos quests (sunny side) - in village quests and those in the wilderness area. In two cases I was solo and others in party - I recommend being in a party, but don't know if there is any scaling effects.

Community Member

- Pets, hires, and summoned critters are almost necessary (Druids, Artys,and PMs might be the kings of this HCL)
    - Party-wide DPS is important to kill the hounds as fast as possible.
    --- The less time a hound is around, the fewer stacks of vulnerability everyone will get
    - More hit points can keep you from being one-shot killed.
    - Keep the party together.
    - Quicker runs seem to mean fewer hounds.
    --- Pick and choose your optional quest goals
    --- Avoid entering a quest before the group is ready to enter together.
    --- Don't go afk or pike unless it is well planned (survivable, but risky and often better to take the xp hit for re-entering)
    - After each hound attack, pause and let the debuffs go away.
    --- The hounds seem to not do a lot of damage from their element (e.g. 400% max vulnerability [500% total, or x 5] to 5 points of damage is only 25 damage).
    --- The wizard caster in the next combat hitting you with a fireball for 20 damage that scales to 250 damage is the risk.
    --- Each stack of vulnerability takes 10 seconds to fade, so 20 stacks will take a bit more than 3 minutes.
    - The vulnerability stacks seem to be dungeon-wide (observed, but not confirmed)
    --- A hound that isn't aggroed on anything doesn't seem to hand out debuffs (observed, but not confirmed yet)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MysticBeanSoup View Post
    I ran into four or five during the Korthos quests (sunny side) - in village quests and those in the wilderness area. In two cases I was solo and others in party - I recommend being in a party, but don't know if there is any scaling effects.
    Thank you. Thank you to all repliers. I wonder if there is a difference between snowy and sunny Korthos? In any event I am beginning to suspect my efforts at Hardcore would even more futile than previous. (Highest level 9). For personal reasons I have to AFK without warning.

Thank you. Thank you to all repliers. I wonder if there is a difference between snowy and sunny Korthos? In any event I am beginning to suspect my efforts at Hardcore would even more futile than previous. (Highest level 9). For personal reasons I have to AFK without warning.
    Tutorial vs the rest of the game. People in snowy korthos can only group with other people in snowy korthos.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kayze View Post
    Tutorial vs the rest of the game. People in snowy korthos can only group with other people in snowy korthos.
    To take that idea a step further, I expect when guild ships are up with energy resist and other buffs, the difficulty of the hounds will drop.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Careall View Post
    - Pets, hires, and summoned critters are almost necessary (Druids, Artys,and PMs might be the kings of this HCL)
    To an extent, my pet and hire called a wildcat strike on the last hound I faced and hid around the corner while I fought it alone. However, as an arti I have not had an issue dealing with them ranged. I suggest everyone have a range weapon. They are slow. Also, you get plenty of warning, I would avoid dealing with them while engaged with anything else.

Community Member

For personal reasons I have to QUIT without warning, fixed it for you.

That is why I solo, I am usually working while I play, the trade off is I work pretty much any hour day or night as required. As such committing to a group is difficult.

Community Member

Default Well now, that's interesting!

Community Member

How long did it take to beat down the hound with a level 1 character?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvado View Post
    How long did it take to beat down the hound with a level 1 character?
    I didn't even bother. The hireling took about five hits to kill it. Enough time to set up the screenshot, but the hit after this killed it.

Edit: It took me longer to realize I wasn't dead and didn't need to run out of the quest before looting the chest. Since I didn't hear it attacking, I paused for a moment to check it out.

Nothing.

I crept over to the chest and saw the pup tangled up in the kobold traps.
    Last edited by Careall; 07-28-2022 at 01:41 PM.

Community Member

Default Clarify

Quote Originally Posted by Kayze View Post

Let me clarify. Do hounds spawn in snowy and sunny? I am sure the answer is yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast