Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Default PC Auto Restarts While Playing DDO

I’ve been having a constant problem with DDO and I’d appreciate any suggestions. When playing, my PC will occasionally restart on its own. This does not happen often, it happens maybe once every 4 playing sessions on average. I’ve tried everything I can think of and google searches have recommended but nothing has solved the problem. This doesn’t happen with any other game or activity on my PC, granted DDO is the only game (other than non-demanding games like retro titles and chess on my browser) that I play direct off the PC. I do make DDO youtube videos on my PC and edit/process video and such which has to push it harder than a game from 2006 I would think. I also stream with OBS while playing DDO but this has happened while playing both on and off stream so I know it’s not streaming related. Recently I have also discovered for whatever reason my PC will occasionally not do anything when I hit the power button so this has got to be something internal.

This is the PC/specs I'm using: https://www.newegg.com/ibuypower-ver...593R-_-Product

Things I have tried which have not been successful in fixing the issue -

- Checked PC auto restart settings/windows update settings – it’s not related to that
    - Cleaned out inside of PC with canned air, cleaning off as much dust as possible. I don’t think it’s overheating as PC while warm doesn’t seem overly hot. Also this first started happening this past winter playing in a cold room.
    - Rechecked all power connections inside of PC to confirm they’re secure
    - Tried removing surge protector and plugging direct into wall
    - Replaced power supply with a new power supply, same wattage as old one, 600w
    - Swapped power supply cable
    - Cleared memory as much as possible, currently have 100GB of 1TB free
    - Tried running game directly off of a flash drive instead of internal memory
    - Ran many virus and malware scans (windows defender and Malwarebytes)
    - Lowered DDO settings in game to medium
    - Tried both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of DDO

My only conclusion is perhaps it is motherboard related? I’d appreciate any ideas I could try. I’m not the most tech savy person.

I'm thinking next I could try replacing my CMOS battery and see if that does anything. Has never happened once playing or doing something else on the PC granted I don’t play any new games off the PC that would push it harder than DDO.

It’s just so strange that DDO is the only thing that seems to cause these auto restarts. And it sucks knowing at any time my game sessions and stream could be interrupted - especially because I lead raids and group most of the time.
    Last edited by axel15810; 07-25-2022 at 03:57 PM.

Community Member

Take a look at your resistors on your motherboard if they are swollen or leaking a powdery substance could be a sign of a bad motherboard you could also do a google search for the motherboard and common problems that occur with it

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jynxxx View Post
    Take a look at your resistors on your motherboard if they are swollen or leaking a powdery substance could be a sign of a bad motherboard you could also do a google search for the motherboard and common problems that occur with it
    Yeah I've also given the motherboard a look over. I haven't noticed anything that seems out of the ordinary. I haven't searched common problems, will do that.

There has been a rash of video crashes that seem to point to something DDO has done. My video occasionally (about the same rate you're experiencing) will often crash the game (with the pop-up "Direct X failure"), sometimes the whole video will reboot (but then pop back up, with or without the game still running), and occasionally lock the screen - good times.

Might be my vid card getting old, might be DDO, might be gamma rays - yay for infrequent, intermittent, unreproduceable symptoms.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    There has been a rash of video crashes that seem to point to something DDO has done. My video occasionally (about the same rate you're experiencing) will often crash the game (with the pop-up "Direct X failure"), sometimes the whole video will reboot (but then pop back up, with or without the game still running), and occasionally lock the screen - good times.

Might be my vid card getting old, might be DDO, might be gamma rays - yay for infrequent, intermittent, unreproduceable symptoms.
    Just to be clear, with me my PC restarts. I'm not just getting crashes to desktop. I will try a new CMOS battery tonight and see if that helps though I replaced it about 2 years ago.

This only started happening shortly after the ED update at the end of last year. I think it's something internal to my PC but also is only happening while playing DDO which is so strange.

I just wish I knew what it was so I could replace the appropriate part, bleh. And even if I do manage to fix it, I won't feel confident I fixed it until I go atleast 3 months without a PC auto restart while playing DDO. At this point my frustration has reached a point where I want to just burn a hole in my wallet and buy a new prebuilt PC but it seems silly to do that since the PC works fine outside of DDO. Though my PC is 7 years old at this point.

What really sucks is knowing at any time my screen could go black which makes me not want to lead groups or especially raids.
    Last edited by axel15810; 07-25-2022 at 03:39 PM.

A few random thoughts (in no particular order):

• are there any error messages in the windows event logs (other than "unexpected reboot") which might indicate a problem with a specific device?
      It's possibly no bad thing to check and ensure all drivers are up to date (motherboard, chipset, graphics, sound etc.)
    • are you running the 64bit or 32bit client? the 64bit client can use more memory (don't confuse RAM with hard drive space) than 32bit, and a few people have reported CTD issues with 64bit so switching to 32bit might make a difference?
    • it may be worthwhile running a memory diagnostic: (since 7 at least - the specs you linked mention 8?) Windows has one built in (I think it's available from the F8 boot menu) the motherboard BIOS may also have the capability of running one
    • try removing and re-seating the memory DIMMs and expansion cards whilst taking the usual precautions against static - if nothing else this may clean up the connections just in case there's any slight oxidisation occurred on the contacts

One good thing (2 actually) whenever you get BSOD's or hard resets is to run SFC and DISM commands to check for possible system file corruption. SFC does a relatively quick check of your system files for corruption and attempts to fix them. DISM checks online with Microsoft and compares your system files with their system files for the same version of windows and repairs any that are corrupt.

They are very simple to run:

SFC (System File Checker):

Simply open Command Prompt (as admin) and enter "sfc /scannow" without the "'s. It will run for a while and let you now if there any corrupt files and if it was able to repair them. If it does show any corrupt files (even if it says they were repaired) I would run the DISM commands

DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool):

Again open Command Prompt (as admin) and enter "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Checkhealth" or "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" without the "'s. If either of these commands notify you of corrupt files you then run the restore command..."DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth".

Another suggestion would be to uninstall/reinstall your video drivers as those can also become corrupt.

CMOS battery should have nothing to do with it as that basically saves you date/time settings and BIOS settings. Once you're in Windows you could, THEORETICALLY (please don't try), remove the battery and not have any issues until you reboot and find all BIOS settings are back to default.

Hope this helps
    Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Default hot hot hot

Usually an unexpected reboot is from overheating. How hot is your videocard getting? There are several free programs that can give real time temp for both the video card and the motherboard.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by originalbod View Post
    A few random thoughts (in no particular order):

• are there any error messages in the windows event logs (other than "unexpected reboot") which might indicate a problem with a specific device?
      It's possibly no bad thing to check and ensure all drivers are up to date (motherboard, chipset, graphics, sound etc.)
    • are you running the 64bit or 32bit client? the 64bit client can use more memory (don't confuse RAM with hard drive space) than 32bit, and a few people have reported CTD issues with 64bit so switching to 32bit might make a difference?
    • it may be worthwhile running a memory diagnostic: (since 7 at least - the specs you linked mention 8?) Windows has one built in (I think it's available from the F8 boot menu) the motherboard BIOS may also have the capability of running one
    • try removing and re-seating the memory DIMMs and expansion cards whilst taking the usual precautions against static - if nothing else this may clean up the connections just in case there's any slight oxidisation occurred on the contacts
    - no error messages
    - I have tried experimenting with both 32 and 64 bit, happens with both
    - I have updated drivers, should have put that in OP
    - Will try the diagnostic and removing and reseating everything, good suggestions thanks. Had not thought of that.
    - I'm running Windows 10, should have also put that in OP
    Last edited by axel15810; 07-25-2022 at 09:17 PM.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha5440 View Post
    One good thing (2 actually) whenever you get BSOD's or hard resets is to run SFC and DISM commands to check for possible system file corruption. SFC does a relatively quick check of your system files for corruption and attempts to fix them. DISM checks online with Microsoft and compares your system files with their system files for the same version of windows and repairs any that are corrupt.

They are very simple to run:

SFC (System File Checker):

Simply open Command Prompt (as admin) and enter "sfc /scannow" without the "'s. It will run for a while and let you now if there any corrupt files and if it was able to repair them. If it does show any corrupt files (even if it says they were repaired) I would run the DISM commands

DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool):

Again open Command Prompt (as admin) and enter "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Checkhealth" or "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" without the "'s. If either of these commands notify you of corrupt files you then run the restore command..."DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth".

Another suggestion would be to uninstall/reinstall your video drivers as those can also become corrupt.

CMOS battery should have nothing to do with it as that basically saves you date/time settings and BIOS settings. Once you're in Windows you could, THEORETICALLY (please don't try), remove the battery and not have any issues until you reboot and find all BIOS settings are back to default.

Hope this helps

Did the sfc /scannow, didn't find anything.

I'll look into the video drivers.

I went ahead and replaced the CMOS tonight anyway since I had an extra battery in my closet and I opened up the PC tonight anyway. But yeah seems like it isn't related, thanks.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Mindos View Post
    Usually an unexpected reboot is from overheating. How hot is your videocard getting? There are several free programs that can give real time temp for both the video card and the motherboard.
    Tonight I went through and took out my main fan apart and also took out my graphics card and flipped it over (there's a 2nd fan under it) which I had never done previously and this might be it. There was quite a bit of dust in both fans I previously could not access. Perhaps it was overheating. Definitely didn't do a good enough job cleaning out dust before.

I will look google free temperature programs as well.
    Last edited by axel15810; 07-29-2022 at 08:49 AM.

In game, go to options > troubleshoot and set maximum frame limit to whatever is native to your monitor. I had to deal with similar stuff on my previous GPU and discovered that sometimes games can go way above the limit set in the GPU software, causing a crash from overheating. One such place in ddo was the water pool in delera pt2.

You could maybe use something like HWiNFO Portable, e.g. https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ for real-time system monitoring of components like: voltage or temperature.

I presume you don't have an overclocked CPU or graphics system and the BIOS settings are correct. Plus it sounds like you swapped the PSU (presumably with adequate power and ventilation). It still sounds like overheating - instability possibly dust induced - or a faulty component.

Quality CR2032 shouldn't be drained by 7 years when the machine is used regularly. Like was mentioned above it's mostly for storing BIOS settings and the system clock.

DDO itself, shouldn't cause the system to completely restart on regular basis. You'll have also most likely checked your monitor and its cables. That power button issue sounded a little iffy.
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 07-26-2022 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Parse.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
    In game, go to options > troubleshoot and set maximum frame limit to whatever is native to your monitor. I had to deal with similar stuff on my previous GPU and discovered that sometimes games can go way above the limit set in the GPU software, causing a crash from overheating. One such place in ddo was the water pool in delera pt2.
    This is the monitor I'm using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Guess I would set it to 60? Does maximum frame limit = refresh rate in Hz?

Mine was set at infinite.

On the DDO menu should I change engine speed or connection speed? Mine are set at Very High and Automatic, currently.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by DYWYPI View Post
    You could maybe use something like HWiNFO Portable, e.g. https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ for real-time system monitoring of components like: voltage or temperature.

I presume you don't have an overclocked CPU or graphics system and the BIOS settings are correct. Plus it sounds like you swapped the PSU (presumably with adequate power and ventilation). It still sounds like overheating - instability possibly dust induced - or a faulty component.

Quality CR2032 shouldn't be drained by 7 years when the machine is used regularly. Like was mentioned above it's mostly for storing BIOS settings and the system clock.

DDO itself, shouldn't cause the system to completely restart on regular basis. You'll have also most likely checked your monitor and its cables. That power button issue sounded a little iffy.
    Yeah, I bought the same wattage PSU and it is ventilated well. I have a bunch of extra HDMI cables so I went ahead and switched my monitor's cable out last night. Or referring to monitor power cable? Though why would a bad monitor cable cause PC restarts?

Yeah, power button issue makes me afraid it could be something with the graphics card or motherboard which are more pricey to replace. Though I've given them a good lookover and there are no obvious fault with bloated/leaky parts on the board. And it makes no sense to me. Last night it did this, I pushed the power button many times and every time it did nothing - then I walked away and did something else for about 5 minutes and it starts up fine, then immediately shuts down on its own about 5 seconds after starting. Then a few minutes later I tried again and it started up and ran with no issues. I replaced the power supply so I know it's not that. I don't even know if this is necessarily related to the crashing issue with DDO.

Google is telling me that bad RAM could potentially be the issue. I also went ahead and reseated my 8gb RAM stick today in case it was somehow jostled loose.

I didn't realize RAM upgrades were so cheap and so easy to do, atleast I'm learning a lot about PCs from researching through these issues. I think I'm going to go ahead, since it's only about $40, replace my single 8gb RAM stick with 2 new 8gb RAM sticks. This would fix the issue if it's bad RAM and I want to upgrade RAM regardless (I should have done that years ago) and my PC supports up to 4 8gb sticks of DDR3. I think the only issue I may run into here is that if I end up having to replace the motherboard the sticks I buy may not be compatible so I'd be out the $40.

Also my motherboard supports DDR3L or DDR3. Can buy DDR3L which google is telling me uses less power/creates less heat so maybe that'll help too. The single stick in my PC now is just regular DDR3.
    Last edited by axel15810; 07-27-2022 at 04:34 PM.

Failing monitors can cause PC resets but you usually get other warning signs with the monitor itself like display faults. It's unlikely the monitor signal cable (display adapter to desktop) is faulty. You'd typically get "No Signal" warnings if it were.

The motherboard having a minor fault or graphics card GPU malfunctioning is a good bet on the culprit. Overheating or power related problems may be causing instability. Unstable RAM modules will cause random resets and a variety of weirdness. You decided to swap the RAM, which may help determine if it were a degraded module issue. Make sure the RAM type is the exact same as the other module if you plan on adding more or it may prove to be problematic.

You would assume the PSU rating is adequate given this machine has run years on the same hardware doing similar tasks without major problems. You changed the PSU so its fans and power supply should be fresh.

The push-button issue is weird, but I wouldn't have thought you need a new PC push-button (I doubt you have any wire shorting inside the case). The motherboard will probably have LED lights on even if the push-button is off showing power is getting there. Presses can have different modes assigned but that should not be the reason for the resets.

The BIOS settings in many computers let you adjust the power settings so the computer senses when normal electrical supply returns like "Restore on AC/Power Loss". If there was a faulty component or power loss the PC could restart itself automatically under those conditions when a suitable power supply returned. The "button issue" might be related to such a - component protection - setting. You should also be able to adjust your fan speeds.

So far it sounds like you've swapped about half of the PC components anyway. If it's the motherboard or graphics card failing you won't typically get cheap options.
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 07-28-2022 at 06:16 AM. Reason: BIOS.

Exactly same was a problem for me. Turned down all graphic and it dissapeared.
    But the real solution was prevent overheat. Cleaned computer and opened the chassi and problem went away.

You still have problem after cleaning the fan?
    Triple all

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kza View Post
    Exactly same was a problem for me. Turned down all graphic and it dissapeared.
    But the real solution was prevent overheat. Cleaned computer and opened the chassi and problem went away.

You still have problem after cleaning the fan?
    Not with DDO, so far (I cleaned it 2 days ago). I have had the crash on PC start up issue happen though. But yesterday I played DDO for a 6 hour session with no issues. But the way this has worked for me is I can go days, weeks or even a whole month without any issues and then start experiencing crashes again. Though I had 2 last week. I'll have to play for atleast a month or two without a crash before I feel confident the problem is fixed.

Turning down graphics setting didn't help me in the past but I did lower the max frame rate to 60 from infinite so hopefully that does help. I did notice the FPS going into the 120 range before but never knew we could cap it in settings.
    Last edited by axel15810; 07-28-2022 at 08:57 AM.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by DYWYPI View Post
    Failing monitors can cause PC resets but you usually get other warning signs with the monitor itself like display faults. It's unlikely the monitor signal cable (display adapter to desktop) is faulty. You'd typically get "No Signal" warnings if it were.

The motherboard having a minor fault or graphics card GPU malfunctioning is a good bet on the culprit. Overheating or power related problems may be causing instability. Unstable RAM modules will cause random resets and a variety of weirdness. You decided to swap the RAM, which may help determine if it were a degraded module issue. Make sure the RAM type is the exact same as the other module if you plan on adding more or it may prove to be problematic.

You would assume the PSU rating is adequate given this machine has run years on the same hardware doing similar tasks without major problems. You changed the PSU so its fans and power supply should be fresh.

The push-button issue is weird, but I wouldn't have thought you need a new PC push-button (I doubt you have any wire shorting inside the case). The motherboard will probably have LED lights on even if the push-button is off showing power is getting there. Presses can have different modes assigned but that should not be the reason for the resets.

The BIOS settings in many computers let you adjust the power settings so the computer senses when normal electrical supply returns like "Restore on AC/Power Loss". If there was a faulty component or power loss the PC could restart itself automatically under those conditions when a suitable power supply returned. The "button issue" might be related to such a - component protection - setting. You should also be able to adjust your fan speeds.

So far it sounds like you've swapped about half of the PC components anyway. If it's the motherboard or graphics card failing you won't typically get cheap options.
    Yeah, my conclusion after a lot of research seems to be the same. If after swapping the RAM out I still have issues, it's probably something internal with the graphics card or motherboard. So my next step would be replacing the graphics card and if that fails, then the motherboard as a last resort. There's also still a few suggestions in this thread I could try which I have yet to do, like an uninstall and reinstall of all drivers.

I will order my RAM today, and hopefully receive that next week and do the swap and see how it does. And yeah I did check my motherboard's manual to make sure I got a type that was compatible and I'll get 2 identical 8gb sticks and not use the old 8gb stick.
    Last edited by axel15810; 07-28-2022 at 09:17 AM.

Adding the new RAM upgrade should be beneficial in other ways. The case itself should be placed somewhere in the room where there is good airflow all around it. Obviously with the Graphics card you can always try much lower settings when running DDO. To see if that improves overall stability over time. Hopefully it's not component damage causing the errors.

Maybe you could try posting your problem on: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ they might have some geeks willing to investigate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast