Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Default PC Auto Restarts While Playing DDO

I’ve been having a constant problem with DDO and I’d appreciate any suggestions. When playing, my PC will occasionally restart on its own. This does not happen often, it happens maybe once every 4 playing sessions on average. I’ve tried everything I can think of and google searches have recommended but nothing has solved the problem. This doesn’t happen with any other game or activity on my PC, granted DDO is the only game (other than non-demanding games like retro titles and chess on my browser) that I play direct off the PC. I do make DDO youtube videos on my PC and edit/process video and such which has to push it harder than a game from 2006 I would think. I also stream with OBS while playing DDO but this has happened while playing both on and off stream so I know it’s not streaming related. Recently I have also discovered for whatever reason my PC will occasionally not do anything when I hit the power button so this has got to be something internal.

This is the PC/specs I'm using: https://www.newegg.com/ibuypower-ver...593R-_-Product

Things I have tried which have not been successful in fixing the issue -

- Checked PC auto restart settings/windows update settings – it’s not related to that
    - Cleaned out inside of PC with canned air, cleaning off as much dust as possible. I don’t think it’s overheating as PC while warm doesn’t seem overly hot. Also this first started happening this past winter playing in a cold room.
    - Rechecked all power connections inside of PC to confirm they’re secure
    - Tried removing surge protector and plugging direct into wall
    - Replaced power supply with a new power supply, same wattage as old one, 600w
    - Swapped power supply cable
    - Cleared memory as much as possible, currently have 100GB of 1TB free
    - Tried running game directly off of a flash drive instead of internal memory
    - Ran many virus and malware scans (windows defender and Malwarebytes)
    - Lowered DDO settings in game to medium
    - Tried both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of DDO

My only conclusion is perhaps it is motherboard related? I’d appreciate any ideas I could try. I’m not the most tech savy person.

I'm thinking next I could try replacing my CMOS battery and see if that does anything. Has never happened once playing or doing something else on the PC granted I don’t play any new games off the PC that would push it harder than DDO.

It’s just so strange that DDO is the only thing that seems to cause these auto restarts. And it sucks knowing at any time my game sessions and stream could be interrupted - especially because I lead raids and group most of the time.
    Last edited by axel15810; 07-25-2022 at 03:57 PM.

Community Member

Take a look at your resistors on your motherboard if they are swollen or leaking a powdery substance could be a sign of a bad motherboard you could also do a google search for the motherboard and common problems that occur with it

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jynxxx View Post
    Take a look at your resistors on your motherboard if they are swollen or leaking a powdery substance could be a sign of a bad motherboard you could also do a google search for the motherboard and common problems that occur with it
    Yeah I've also given the motherboard a look over. I haven't noticed anything that seems out of the ordinary. I haven't searched common problems, will do that.

There has been a rash of video crashes that seem to point to something DDO has done. My video occasionally (about the same rate you're experiencing) will often crash the game (with the pop-up "Direct X failure"), sometimes the whole video will reboot (but then pop back up, with or without the game still running), and occasionally lock the screen - good times.

Might be my vid card getting old, might be DDO, might be gamma rays - yay for infrequent, intermittent, unreproduceable symptoms.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    There has been a rash of video crashes that seem to point to something DDO has done. My video occasionally (about the same rate you're experiencing) will often crash the game (with the pop-up "Direct X failure"), sometimes the whole video will reboot (but then pop back up, with or without the game still running), and occasionally lock the screen - good times.

Might be my vid card getting old, might be DDO, might be gamma rays - yay for infrequent, intermittent, unreproduceable symptoms.
    Just to be clear, with me my PC restarts. I'm not just getting crashes to desktop. I will try a new CMOS battery tonight and see if that helps though I replaced it about 2 years ago.

This only started happening shortly after the ED update at the end of last year. I think it's something internal to my PC but also is only happening while playing DDO which is so strange.

I just wish I knew what it was so I could replace the appropriate part, bleh. And even if I do manage to fix it, I won't feel confident I fixed it until I go atleast 3 months without a PC auto restart while playing DDO. At this point my frustration has reached a point where I want to just burn a hole in my wallet and buy a new prebuilt PC but it seems silly to do that since the PC works fine outside of DDO. Though my PC is 7 years old at this point.

What really sucks is knowing at any time my screen could go black which makes me not want to lead groups or especially raids.
    Last edited by axel15810; 07-25-2022 at 03:39 PM.

A few random thoughts (in no particular order):

• are there any error messages in the windows event logs (other than "unexpected reboot") which might indicate a problem with a specific device?
      It's possibly no bad thing to check and ensure all drivers are up to date (motherboard, chipset, graphics, sound etc.)
    • are you running the 64bit or 32bit client? the 64bit client can use more memory (don't confuse RAM with hard drive space) than 32bit, and a few people have reported CTD issues with 64bit so switching to 32bit might make a difference?
    • it may be worthwhile running a memory diagnostic: (since 7 at least - the specs you linked mention 8?) Windows has one built in (I think it's available from the F8 boot menu) the motherboard BIOS may also have the capability of running one
    • try removing and re-seating the memory DIMMs and expansion cards whilst taking the usual precautions against static - if nothing else this may clean up the connections just in case there's any slight oxidisation occurred on the contacts