Community Member

Default pure class or multi

wgich does better on hardcore server pure classes or multiclasses and which ones?

Yes!

With any build - pure, multi, an Iconic that forces a certain class to start... any build - the alternatives are weighed based on "What do I lose if I make X change?" vs. "What do I gain vs. making X change?"

So, for instance, a player may start with their knowledge of a pure class - maybe Barbarian. From there, they consider what a Fighter splash may lose/add, and weigh that. Or maybe 6 levels of Bard? Or Cleric! maybe 6 levels of Warlock! Or maybe not 6 levels, maybe a little more, or less. Maybe... maybe not... hmmmm... And each player will have a different feel for these comparisons, based on both their (limited?) understanding of the two.

Creative players sometimes come up with surprising combinations that fill a certain role - fast, early-Heroic front-loaded power, or synergetic Crowd-Control + Helpless damage, or a couple/few usually unconnected elements that just add up to "win".

Point is, there is no single, simple answer to your question. Pure builds work well, but carefully balanced multi classes can work well also! For a more specific answer, you'd have to name a class - "Pure barb, or multi?" - or whatever. Too many variables otherwise, and even then, each response will be based on that player's individual experience, playstyle and preferences - not yours.

There have been many good builds suggested - read over them, read the responses, the critiques pro and con, and decide what sounds like something you'd want to play.

Here are a couple samplings; there are many, many others if you Search for them:
    o https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...ght=repository (use [Ctrl+f] and search "Hardcore")
    o https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...=1#post6528427
    o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6322580

Good luck, and haff fun stomin' da cassul!
    o/

wow, it ... depends

just want lvl 20 ?
    Just going to favor awards ?
    going for Reaper awards with full party?
    going for Reaper awards solo?

add to the mix, What are you best at?

^ all of that, effects the answer to the question.

Community Member

It depends is the right answer.

Hoping to keep the same character to level 30 or 32 - you need to look at capstone enhancement abilities and see how good they are. Multiclass forfeits any chance for a capstone.

Not planning on going past 20 - that isn't an issue.

If you just want lvl 20
    -even if your a new F2P-
    Make a rogue, pick up the feat Heavy Repeater
    as soon as you can.
    Be sure to advance UMD skill

go to town and 'Billy the Kid' all the free dungeons on normal.
    you will get 20 easy enough.
    (take a healer hireling with you)

easy breezy.

Now catch 22
    If you want the favor awards, that is harder for a F2P
    you have to get to 20, true reencarnate (to open hard dungeons)
    then do it again to open elite
    ---- OR ----
    do each dungeon 3 times
    normal, hard, elite in order
    (boring but has been done)

If your VIP you can go straight to elite first time.

Community Member

Default Play with what you are best with

That's what I generally do... but this time I'm going to completely ignore my own advice and go squishy, but squishy and part-orientated: Bard 18 Rogue 2. If I make level 20 [18, capped with an xp item from Daily Dice], AND I can get into a static group with a dedicated trapper, for the first time in my life I will probably buy a +3 lesser HoW and go full Bard to get the capstone. But I am fairly confident to be able to solo most heroics with a Bard 18 Rogue 2 on elite, except for the expansions mostly (ofc there are exceptions). I really would like to get the 5000 favor and 10 rxp this time.

EDIT I tested a SDK Pal 18 Wiz 1 (based on Strimtoms' Poison Pally build) earlier this year on regular server and I could not die during heroics (though trapping was very tough on elite at level)... I did die (my own stupidity) in a raid much later and then multiple times on higher difficulties towards end game but the build was good for a first life character. You need to spec into CHA-based (with as much INT as possible) KotC version during heroics then use free lesser HoW to respec at 20, otherwise its depressingly slow and your life becomes meaningless in groups.
    Last edited by Gnominal_Aphasia; 07-26-2022 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aputamkon View Post
    wgich does better on hardcore server pure classes or multiclasses and which ones?
    Really depends on the player's skill and comfort level. Any build could work.

That said, here are a couple of useful splashes:
    • Barbarian 2 for blood tribute, uncanny dodge, and fast movement
    • Rogue 2 for evasion
    • Fighter 2 for 2 feats
    • Wizard 3 for shroud
    • Paladin 3 for fear immunity and divine grace
    • Cleric 5 for animal domain

Quote Originally Posted by Kayze View Post
    • Barbarian 2 for blood tribute, uncanny dodge, and fast movement
    • Rogue 2 for evasion
    • Fighter 2 for 2 feats
    • Wizard 3 for shroud
    • Paladin 3 for fear immunity and divine grace
    • Cleric 5 for animal domain
    Sounds strong - what do you use for the other 3 levels? (or other 2, if only planning for 19)?

Founder
    Guild Leader - Death Smile

A reminder on my youtube I have videos dedicated to HCL strategies, builds, quests, and min/maxing,
    i have guides for some of the harder quests, and I go over in very long detail many possible questions
    regarding hardcore and how to achieve reward levels.

I also have my jedi build which I have successfully used in multiple HCL - there are links below

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Sounds strong - what do you use for the other 3 levels? (or other 2, if only planning for 19)?
    Ha. Ha.

On a more serious note, 19 fvs remains just as strong as it was last season for 5k favor and 20 reaper. Stupid aoe output and d18 hit points.