Community Member

Default Did I mess up too badly... or...

So... When I first created my Rogue/Artificer (currently 18/2, Epic 6). I was new to the game, not paying attention and creates a Rogue with a LG alignment. I know... I know...

I've been building gear with a focus on Corrosion (Acid) damage... but I'm wondering if there might be a way to focus on Alignement based damage and go with something with "Light or Alignment" based damage?

Or... should I just re-roll.

Thoughts??

Many thanks

First, a belated welcome to the game! (altho' this particular issue isn't the best housewarming gift )

Quote Originally Posted by Bhishop View Post
    Or... should I just re-roll.
    The answer to that question is always - what level are you now?

If ~15+, definitely push thru and TR/RR at 20, you're too close. If < ~8, rerolling is probably the better option on a 1st-life build (bound-to-character items aside). If in between... dealer's choice.

You're already into Epic levels, so, at worst, you should stop and TR/RR, and get what you want. However, if you've been able to get to Lvl 26, I'd say that, unless questing is just too painful, push on to 30 and then ER/TR.

(btw - "rerolling" is not reincarnating. "Rerolling" specifically implies scrubbing the character, abandoning any/all investment in it and starting over from scratch.)

So... When I first created my Rogue/Artificer (currently 18/2, Epic 6). I was new to the game, not paying attention and creates a Rogue with a LG alignment.
    Meh, hardly the end of the world (the opposite, choosing Neutral when you wanted to multi into Pali late... that's a tougher nut to crack).

All Neutral alignment does for you is avoid some rare "and does extra damage to X alignment" encounters - usually to Good, but (again, rarely) any non-neutral alignment can suffer this fate.

Also, LG will suffer 1 negative level if they equip certain weapons that are Chaotic or Evil - that is a consideration at times.

(The other side of that coin is that some Epic abilities require non-neutral alignments - but that tends to be build-specific. If you didn't plan for that, don't worry about it.)

I've been building gear with a focus on Corrosion (Acid) damage... but I'm wondering if there might be a way to focus on Alignement based damage and go with something with "Light or Alignment" based damage?

Thoughts??
    Two immediate thoughts...

1) What's an Arti (and much less a Rogue) doing w/ Acid or Light spellpower gear?
    ...and that leads to...
    2) Do you understand that Spell Power doesn't change a weapon's "+Xd6" elemental damage?

An artificer caster is electric, pure and simple. K'ZAP!, he remarked - done.* However, an arti/rogue ranged build just doesn't care for the most part.

(* And this guy's only Arti 2. True, SLA's (Archanotech) scale off character level, but still, not much juice there)

Usually when someone talks about "changing their spell power type" they're talking about re-speccing their AP's/trees - what do you think this change entails? Any character can pick up a weapon with +3d6 Acid or +5d6 Light damage and use it, all the same. A fighter with 0 Acid spell power and a sorcerer with 1,000 Acid spell power will do the same damage with a crossbow of +3d6 acid damage.

Spell power increases magical attacks - spells, SLA's, many effects from enhancement trees*. Weapons with "+Xd6" elemental damage are not "magical" in that sense - they do not get increased with additional spell power. And I do not see an Arti 2/Rog 18 using a lot of "magical" attacks - or am I missing something**?

(* These will specifically say "Scales with ###% spellpower, where higher is better. Check the Wiki/Enhancements for an easy-to-read version of full text.)
    (** Time Bomb does not benefit from spellpower boosts, apparently)

(Rune Arm shots scale w/ spell power appropriate to the blast effect(s) - but they also scale with Arti level, so on a multi build it all depends how many Arti levels as to how big that RA shot is in the first place. With only Arti 2, it really is too insignificant to worry about once you're in Epics.)

So, when you say you want to "focus on "Light or Alignment" based damage" - what attacks do you have that could use that? If it's just a different weapon, go for it, pick up the new weapon and pew-pew into legend. (And unless you're trying to squeeze just a (very!) little more damage out of your Rune Arm blasts (based on 2 levels of Arti), lose any/all spell power gear.)