Default 2HF Melee Bard viable?

Hi, all! It's been a good long while since I've played.

I was wondering if the "bardbarian" of the old days is still viable. Something that can, essentially, buff and smash. I've only done three lives on this new toon, so I don't have a lot of PL feats or a great deal of rare/specialized gear, but I do have a +8 tome and the universal trees.

Would I still splash barb? And, if so, how many levels?
    Or is it worth doing the CHA to hit/damage in one of the universal trees?

Would love some thoughts on how to proceed. Last thing I want to do is TR into something unplayable.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ZJEPane; 07-18-2022 at 02:31 PM.
    Yunarian of Argonnessen
    "Listen to my story. This...may be our last chance."

A 2hf warchanter bard is a very solid performer; with access to the feydark illusionist tree, you can have CHA for to-hit & damage (keeping the bare minimum STR including tomes for 2hf feats) plus some other handy boosts, which will mean your spells are, if not 100%, then at least viable in a lot of content & it'll boost your icy crowd control too.

Race-wise there's a lot of good options - I'd suggest shifter since they can do well with their additional racial boosts while raged. Splashing a barbarian level or 2 isn't really necessary but if you do, you can stack additional rage duration & another +3 CON while raging from those trees which means you can be looking at a long-duration +10 CON clicky, pretty nifty.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I'll presume we're talking about CHA-based builds with Feydark Illusionist. When it comes to 2H Warchanters, you have a few options.
    • Bard 20 - maxes out bard benefits including WC capstone (Skaldic Scream). But lowest personal DPS since your only crit bonus from Enhancements is Howl of the North (+1 critical damage multiplier on attack rolls of 19-20). Also Feydark tree lacks CHA Battle Trance; you can take Know the Angles (INT Battle Trance) but now your build has gotten even MAD-er.
    • Bard 18 / <cleric or FvS> 1 / fighter 1 - trades Skaldic Scream for Divine Might, extra feat, and Haste Boost. [EDIT: or barb splash instead of fighter for +10% runspeed; Haste Boost can come from Vistani Knife Fighter.]
    • Bard 13 / fighter 6 / <cleric or FvS> 1 - gives up more bard stuff (level 6 spells, Victory Song, Inspire Heroics, WC freeze duration / DCs) for more feats and Strike with No Thought (+1 crit multiplier).
    • Bard 12 / barbarian 6 / FvS 2 - at this point you're mostly focused on personal melee DPS with tier-5 Frenzied Berserker (Focus Wide + Focused Wrath) and tier-2 Warsoul (Smite Weakness + Haste Boost). But you can still take Frozen Fury + Northwind. And when you get to epics, you can grab Draconic Rage ("You may now cast spells while Raging").

So basically: do you want to be primarily a support toon with all the toys which pure bard brings to the table with melee DPS as a (very) secondary consideration; or primarily a solo 2H DPS toon with some bard toys to play with; or somewhere in between?
    Last edited by unbongwah; 08-05-2022 at 01:17 PM.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I'll presume we're talking about CHA-based builds with Feydark Illusionist. When it comes to 2H Warchanters, you have a few options.
    • Bard 20 - maxes out bard benefits including WC capstone (Skaldic Scream). But lowest personal DPS since your only crit bonus from Enhancements is Howl of the North (+1 critical damage multiplier on attack rolls of 19-20). Also Feydark tree lacks CHA Battle Trance; you can take Know the Angles (INT Battle Trance) but now your build has gotten even MAD-er.
    • Bard 18 / <cleric or FvS> 1 / fighter 1 - trades Skaldic Scream for Divine Might, extra feat, and Haste Boost.
    • Bard 13 / fighter 6 / <cleric or FvS> 1 - gives up more bard stuff (level 6 spells, Victory Song, Inspire Heroics, WC freeze duration / DCs) for more feats and Strike with No Thought (+1 crit multiplier).
    • Bard 12 / barbarian 6 / FvS 2 - at this point you're mostly focused on personal melee DPS with tier-5 Frenzied Berserker (Focus Wide + Focused Wrath) and tier-2 Warsoul (Smite Weakness + Haste Boost). But you can still take Frozen Fury + Northwind. And when you get to epics, you can grab Draconic Rage ("You may now cast spells while Raging").

So basically: do you want to be primarily a support toon with all the toys which pure bard brings to the table with melee DPS as a (very) secondary consideration; or primarily a solo 2H DPS toon with some bard toys to play with; or somewhere in between?
    Thank you for spelling out these ideas. I usually play pure classes (sometimes with a level or two of splash, back in the day) but some of these deeper cuts sound much more interesting.

I'm leaning more toward a solo 2H DPS toon with some bard toys. Mostly for solo 2H DPS, but able to contribute something to a party other than running around behind the arcanes
    Yunarian of Argonnessen

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZJEPane View Post
    I'm leaning more toward a solo 2H DPS toon with some bard toys.
    Okay then I was thinking something like this.
    Code:
    DB Frenzied Warchanter
    12/6/2 Bard/Barbarian/Favored Soul
    True Neutral Dragonborn

Level Order

1. Bard            6. Bard           11. Barbarian      16. Bard
    2. Barbarian       7. Bard           12. Barbarian      17. Bard
    3. Favored Soul    8. Bard           13. Bard           18. Bard
    4. Favored Soul    9. Barbarian      14. Bard           19. Bard
    5. Bard           10. Barbarian      15. Bard           20. Barbarian

Stats
                   28pt     32pt     Level Up
                   ----     ----     --------
    Strength        17       17       4: CHA
    Dexterity        6        6       8: CHA
    Constitution    13       14      12: CHA
    Intelligence    10       10      16: CHA
    Wisdom           8        8      20: CHA
    Charisma        19       20      24: CHA
                                     28: CHA

Skills
             Bd Bn Fv Fv Bd Bd Bd Bd Bn Bn Bn Bn Bd Bd Bd Bd Bd Bd Bd Bn
              1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
             ------------------------------------------------------------
    Heal         2  2  2           1  2  2  2  2  1  1  1  1  1  1     2  23
    Perform   4           4  1  1  1              4  2  1  1  1  1  1     22
    UMD       4           2  3  1  1                 2  3  3  1  1  1     22
    Concent   4              2  4  1                          2  2  4     19
    Spellcr   4                    1                                       5
    Balance   4                                                            4
    Tumble    4                                                            4
             ------------------------------------------------------------
             24  4  2  2  6  6  6  6  4  4  4  4  6  6  6  6  6  6  6  4

Feats

1        : Two Handed Fighting
     3        : Power Attack
     6        : Quicken Spell
     9        : Improved Two Handed Fighting
    12        : Improved Critical: Slashing
    15        : Greater Two Handed Fighting
    18        : Empower Healing Spell OR Spell Focus: Evocation
    21 Epic   : Overwhelming Critical
    22 Destiny: Perfect Two Handed Fighting OR Lasting Inspiration
    24 Epic   : Inspire Excellence OR Burst of Glacial Wrath
    25 Destiny: Crush Weakness OR Elusive Target
    27 Epic   : Epic Damage Reduction
    28 Destiny: Harbinger of Chaos OR Deific Warding
    30 Epic   : 
    30 Legend : Scion of: Feywild OR Arborea

1 Dragon : Draconic Ancestry: White

4 FavSoul: Grace of Battle

3 Deity  : Follower of: Sovereign Host

Enhancements (Spent: 80 +0r +0u / Max: 80 +0r +0u AP)

Frenzied Berserker (35 AP)

• Die Hard, Frenzied Toughness, Frenzy
      1. Extra Rage III, Cracking Attack III
      2. Angry Arms III, Body Blow III, Blood Tribute III, Extra Action Boost III, Sprint Boost I
      3. Mad Munitions III, Constitution
      4. Crazy Strike III
      5. Focus Wide, Focused Wrath II, Healing or Hurt: Raging Blows
    Warchanter (26 AP)
    • Skaldic: Constitution, Weapon Training, Song of Heroism, Fighting Spirit
      1. Poetic Edda III, Enchant Weapon
      2. Arcane Shield Chant III, Iced Edges III
      3. Ironskin Chant III, Frozen Fury III
      4. Reckless Chant III, Armorer
    War Soul (10 AP)
    • Smite Foe: Melee
      1. Divine Might: Divine Might III, Sacred Touch I
      2. Smite Weakness, Haste Boost III
    Feydark Illusionist (9 AP)
    • Find Familiar: Fox
      1. Familiar's Flourish I, Illusory Weaponry
      2. Familiar's Flourish II, You've Got My Back
    Destinies (Spent: 52 (40 +12pdp) / Max: 52 (40 +12pdp) AP) Fury of the wild (36 AP)
    • Die Hard, Die Harder, Die Hardest
      1. Epic Strike: Adrenaline III, Mantle of Fury III
      2. Primal Scream
      3. Sense Weakness III, Wild Weapons: Strike Through III, Fury Selector: Furious III
      4. The Voice of Fury, Wade Through: Strike Through III, Force Selector: Overwelming Force III, Unquenchable Rage III
      5. Scarred by Chaos, Unbridled Fury, Nature's Fury
    Fatesinger (8 AP)
    • Fatesinger's Repertoire, Intoxicating Presence
      1. Epic Strike: The Sword Sings, Harmonic Resonance
      2. Discord: Blade of Discord
    Draconic Incarnation (8 AP)
    • Draconic Bloodline: White, Draconic Heritage
      1. Draconic Perception I, Dragonhide III
      2. Draconic Rage
    There's probably a better leveling order for maxing out the core skills but I'm too lazy to figure it out right now. Also the Enhancements are for epics once you have Draconic Rage. For heroics, skip the barbarian Rage enhancements; we don't want to block spellcasting while leveling. Since this isn't a STR-based build, we're mostly using Rage for the +10 Melee Power from Frenzy + Raging Blows as well as FotW bonuses.

Weapons: at low levels, use whatever you want / have available. After level 12, your primary weapon should be falchion, Sword of Shadow, or anything else with 15-20 critical threat range after Improved Critical to take advantage of Focused Wrath's +2 crit multiplier bonus.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

You are wonderful, thank you!

I will give this a go next life.
    Yunarian of Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by ZJEPane View Post
    Hi, all! It's been a good long while since I've played.

I was wondering if the "bardbarian" of the old days is still viable. Something that can, essentially, buff and smash. I've only done three lives on this new toon, so I don't have a lot of PL feats or a great deal of rare/specialized gear, but I do have a +8 tome and the universal trees.

Would I still splash barb? And, if so, how many levels?
    Or is it worth doing the CHA to hit/damage in one of the universal trees?

Would love some thoughts on how to proceed. Last thing I want to do is TR into something unplayable.

Thanks!
    Hello. In my opinion, splashing is like mny things in life... depending on context. After introduction to the Feydark Illusionist, a max. STR Bard seems very limited. A CHA melee Bard can use the spells very effectively while leveling, which gives great versatility, even into epics.

However, a Half Orc Warchanter may be very good by splashing Bar. Especially with many racial action points. By splashing 1 Bar I assume a max. STR and rage uses. If your focus is on playing a Bard then I do not recommend splashing more than 1 Barbarian. 1 Bar/ 1 FvS/ 18 Brd focus on STR, stun, freezing.

Right now I am hunting rap.s with a 1Ftr/ 1FvS/ 18 Brd build. I am very happy with it.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus