Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bard cap gear U55.2

Bard spellsinger gear setup for U55.2. Augments are included but filigrees are not atm.

Aim - healing, top-notch CC, very good nuking and a little insta killing (Wail) for R10 quests and semi casual raids.

Comments and ideas are most welcome.

Own comments:
    - The CC rings do accept reaper crafting. Tested.
    - I tried to fit in +6% artifact sonic crit chance (Feywild Dreamer set or Anger of the Avalance set) but found the results lacking. Bards lack a good set really.
    - I looked into using a Slavers crafted item rather than one of the Cannith crafted items but the lack of insightful effects on Slavers meant I didnt make that work.
    - An Alchemical Buckler in offhand also offers some very nice effects including +2 alchemical cha. I opted for a 2nd Dino weapon though but its not a clear call.
    - I have looked more than once at the 5 piece Dino set bonus for +25 profane spell power and +30 profane PRR. With 2 weapons and the belt (minor artifact) already in the set I had hoped the cloak could also be fitted with the 5 piece set but it doesnt seem so, and I could not fit 2 regular items to get the bonus.
    Member of Spellswords on Ghallanda

The forum is starting to appear less alive than the game itself when it comes to constructive debate.

Community Member

Default More defense???

Hi Mikarddo

You know i usually play a druid. I recently changed my gear to be more defensive and i am glad i did. It takes a little longer to kill stuff but i don't take as much damage.

Here is my new priority of that build:
    Defense - ac, dodge, prr, mrr, saves, displacement, ghostly
    DC of spells
    Damage of spells

I don't know if it is possible but maybe you could try to fit some more prr - artifact or profane - instead of elders. maybe winters set is doable?

Also i find that the +35% more crit damage is usually not worth it. it is only 2.35/2=1.175. meaning a 17.5% increase but only to crits which maybe as high as 66%. I know you can do the math. Also crit damage only applies to one kind of damage. sonic, electric, etc. But maybe it's worth it if you only have the two?

I usually say that when something boosts all spells its good. if it only boost one spell type i have to have good reasons for using it. But i also use cold, lighting and force, so it might be different.

I got tired of dying and that's why my priority changed.

Just some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultinoob View Post
    Hi Mikarddo

You know i usually play a druid. I recently changed my gear to be more defensive and i am glad i did. It takes a little longer to kill stuff but i don't take as much damage.

Here is my new priority of that build:
    Defense - ac, dodge, prr, mrr, saves, displacement, ghostly
    DC of spells
    Damage of spells

I don't know if it is possible but maybe you could try to fit some more prr - artifact or profane - instead of elders. maybe winters set is doable?

Also i find that the +35% more crit damage is usually not worth it. it is only 2.35/2=1.175. meaning a 17.5% increase but only to crits which maybe as high as 66%. I know you can do the math. Also crit damage only applies to one kind of damage. sonic, electric, etc. But maybe it's worth it if you only have the two?

I usually say that when something boosts all spells its good. if it only boost one spell type i have to have good reasons for using it. But i also use cold, lighting and force, so it might be different.

I got tired of dying and that's why my priority changed.

Just some ideas.
    Thank you for the input.

You have a good point that gear is often a compromise between defensive effects (e.g. 4 piece Winter set) or offensive effects (as I have gone with here).

Ghostly and Displacement drop in effect with higher reaper though which is worth keeping in mind unlike PRR and Dodge.

You are also correct that spell crit damage is only good with high spell crit chance and I agree with your math. I still think its worth the item slot though but as noted at a cost of more defensive skills. Adding up Ash (up to 21%), Vuln (up to 20%) and 35% Spell Crit Damage extra (on top on 15% legendary from Elders and 25% frin Scion feat) hopefully does make a difference - as long as I can stay alive
    Last edited by mikarddo; 07-21-2022 at 06:20 AM.

I tried to fit in IoD set as well (as you could drop other common profane spell focus gear like onyx), but like you I could not make it work.

No quality con?

Set seems pretty good I think. What is the 2nd set from your gomf?

My Lv 30 gear for my spell singer - not totally optimized - but has me in a decent place...
    Working on filling augment slots to round out stats..

Sarlona - Guildmaster - Brotherhood of Redemption - ddoborguild.com - 2016 & 2017 Players Council --- Alts: Acetylene, Antimematter, CNG, Dilithium Crystal, EMF, EMPulse, Exothermic, Geothermal, Hexane, Hexyne, Hydropower, JA, Kerosene, LPG, Natural Gas, Nuclearpower, Propane, Solarpannel, Tidalpower, WASOB, Waulter, Windpower, Woodpile

Quote Originally Posted by voxson5 View Post
    I tried to fit in IoD set as well (as you could drop other common profane spell focus gear like onyx), but like you I could not make it work.

No quality con?

Set seems pretty good I think. What is the 2nd set from your gomf?
    I couldnt really fit in quality con. If you have an idea that does not sacrifice something of greater value I am all ears.

On my sorc I am using a dual set bonus GMoF with Elders + Burning Sands which lets me use Dragon Armor for Dripping while getting +6% fire crit from Burning Sands. I did look for something similar for the bard setup but didnt find anything I cared to use as a second bonus - so after 26 rerolls and 2600 threads to even get Elders I stopped rolling. If you have an idea for a 2nd set bonus from GMoF that would be worthwhile and the gear setup to utilize it I would be happy to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Propane View Post
    My Lv 30 gear for my spell singer - not totally optimized - but has me in a decent place...
    Working on filling augment slots to round out stats..

Interesting, thank you for sharing.

Definitely a more defensive layout with the 4 piece winter set than what I have set up. Why no Elders set for the spell crit and spell crit damage though?

Your main hand weapon seems to be missing on the list.

Dont you want a Dino augment for the extra filigree slot?

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    Interesting, thank you for sharing.

Definitely a more defensive layout with the 4 piece winter set than what I have set up. Why no Elders set for the spell crit and spell crit damage though?

Your main hand weapon seems to be missing on the list.

Dont you want a Dino augment for the extra filigree slot?
    Your correct - I have a defensive lean - Med/Heavy Armor proficiencies combined with Fatesinger Mantle (Sonata to Serve) for zero spell failure in Heavy Armor.

Main Hand Legendary Lifting Song (Fey) with 5 Bend Fate-

Enchantment CC first - screaming damage 2nd - liked (and had runes) for the Magewrigth set for the Enchantment bonus.

I have lots of alts - may get to the Dino gear sometime - was low on the Magical Sheltering --> C Crafted trinket
    Sarlona - Guildmaster - Brotherhood of Redemption - ddoborguild.com - 2016 & 2017 Players Council --- Alts: Acetylene, Antimematter, CNG, Dilithium Crystal, EMF, EMPulse, Exothermic, Geothermal, Hexane, Hexyne, Hydropower, JA, Kerosene, LPG, Natural Gas, Nuclearpower, Propane, Solarpannel, Tidalpower, WASOB, Waulter, Windpower, Woodpile

Quote Originally Posted by Propane View Post
    Your correct - I have a defensive lean - Med/Heavy Armor proficiencies combined with Fatesinger Mantle (Sonata to Serve) for zero spell failure in Heavy Armor.

Main Hand Legendary Lifting Song (Fey) with 5 Bend Fate-

Enchantment CC first - screaming damage 2nd - liked (and had runes) for the Magewrigth set for the Enchantment bonus.

I have lots of alts - may get to the Dino gear sometime - was low on the Magical Sheltering --> C Crafted trinket
    Cheers. If you use a Gem of Many Facets instead of a regular CC trinket you get a yellow augment slot as well and can still CC on it.
    I am not sure you can otherwise get an augment slot on CC crafted trinkets.

If you really want max Enchantment CC you would need an alchemical bucker with +2 alchemical cha and a Dino weapon with +2 exeptional cha

This is the gear I plan to run as soon as the raid opens back up.

I was fortunate to get everything except for a Dinobone Helm before the raid closed back down

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Unsinful-1 of Ghallanda
    Leveling Guide: https://tinyurl.com/y3kbfptt
    Favored Soul Guide: https://adobe.ly/2LtnOvT
    Tank Guide: https://tinyurl.com/ralge6g

Quote Originally Posted by Unsinful View Post

I was fortunate to get everything except for a Dinobone Helm before the raid closed back down
    Thank you for sharing. Thats the first setup I have seen that actually uses the 5 piece Dino set and does so well. Most interesting.

Some questions/comments.
    - You have listed the Pomura's augment yet also use the Pomura ring. Is that intended? It would seem odd if those stacks but this is DDO and I havent tried
    - You have Profane DC on the armor but that is also part of the 5 piece set bonus. Oversight?
    - You have Cold Crit Lore on the trinket but already have that from Pomuras ring. Is the cold crit for BoGW?
    - You list +15 cha on the minor artifact? Is that correct? I was under the impression it would only give +14, which you already have on the cloak.
    - Is the illusion DC for Greater Colorspray from Feydark, or am I overlooking some other spell/sla that is illusion DC? I forgot about that DC in my setup so I am going back to see what can be done.
    - You have Spellcraft but not Perform?
    - False Life? Deathblock? Resistance? Actually, I believe the 4th effect on the Helm should be Resistance +12, not Reflex Saves +13.
    - Neither Parrying nor Spell Saves? Dont you value those or didnt you find the room?
    - Why Shadowfang rather than Meltfang? I was under the impression that the acid dot does more damage than the curse.
    - Do you keep the Affirmation stick on always or do you swap for a debuffing stick when you already have the HP procced?

As far as I can tell you gain a good deal of PRR and HP as well as cold crit and Illusion DC compared to my setup, and have Affirmation on more reliably. On the other hand I have Spell Saves, Parrying, Ins Spell Pen and a more offensive weapon set with Ash + Vuln. Very interesting to see such different setups, thanks.
    Last edited by mikarddo; 07-23-2022 at 09:44 AM.

Thank you for sharing. Thats the first setup I have seen that actually uses the 5 piece Dino set and does so well. Most interesting.

Some questions/comments.
    - You have listed the Pomura's augment yet also use the Pomura ring. Is that intended? It would seem odd if those stacks but this is DDO and I havent tried
    - You have Profane DC on the armor but that is also part of the 5 piece set bonus. Oversight?
    - You have Cold Crit Lore on the trinket but already have that from Pomuras ring. Is the cold crit for BoGW?
    - You list +15 cha on the minor artifact? Is that correct? I was under the impression it would only give +14, which you already have on the cloak.
    - Is the illusion DC for Greater Colorspray from Feydark, or am I overlooking some other spell/sla that is illusion DC? I forgot about that DC in my setup so I am going back to see what can be done.
    - You have Spellcraft but not Perform?
    - False Life? Deathblock? Resistance? Actually, I believe the 4th effect on the Helm should be Resistance +12, not Reflex Saves +13.
    - Neither Parrying nor Spell Saves? Dont you value those or didnt you find the room?
    - Why Shadowfang rather than Meltfang? I was under the impression that the acid dot does more damage than the curse.
    - Do you keep the Affirmation stick on always or do you swap for a debuffing stick when you already have the HP procced?

As far as I can tell you gain a good deal of PRR and HP as well as cold crit and Illusion DC compared to my setup, and have Affirmation on more reliably. On the other hand I have Spell Saves, Parrying, Ins Spell Pen and a more offensive weapon set with Ash + Vuln. Very interesting to see such different setups, thanks.
    - I changed Pomura's ring in last second so i forgot to update and take the augment out. Same goes for the cold lore on gem, that becomes Sonic Lore, i also forgot to update that. It is solely for using thundersnow which uses electric and cold.
    - +15 cha on the dino artifact is correct. it gives +15 which is WAI there was a bug in game that it was only showing +14
    - The illusion DC is for color spray as well as hypnotic pattern (which is vastly underrated although i know the visual is annoying)
    - Perform I will add in one of the empty slots just had done it yet as i just was tetrising that more today
    - False life is an augment that i just didn't add in yet, deathblock can also be an augment. Resistance isn't needed but can also be augmented. I don't believe resistance can go in slot 4 of dino helm. Reflex is the only low save on a bard so you want to max it (i get evasion from destinies so its extra important). Fort saves will always be high enough and FoM makes you immune to 95% of will based spells.
    - Parrying and Spell Saves are nice but ultimately unnecessary. You will have way more saves that you need without either.
    - Shadowfang because it lasts a long time and has some interesting use cases. Could also go meltfang if you wanted
    - I keep Ash on my main weapon and swap in affirmation, yet another thing i forgot to edit in my spreadsheet good catch.
    - Ins spell Pen is an unneeded stat unless you don't have the +9 from fvs and wiz past lives. You will have around 60 spell pen which is no fail in all content except tethyamar however soundburst needs a lower spell pen so 60 is still no-fail in that content plus you also can use burst of glacial wrath (which i suggest taking) to CC heavy spell res targets.

my gearset is meant to be as tanky as you can possibly get while still maintaining near max damage. I give up some sonic spell crit because it only exists in horrible set bonuses but it is well worth the gains.
    Unsinful-1 of Ghallanda

That's a pretty nice set

for using thundersnow which uses electric and cold.
    Thank you for the clarifications.

Are you using Fatesinger T5 and core 4, Primal T4 (evasion) and EA T3 (mantle for healing aura) for EDs? I have been using Fate T5, Shadow T3 (threat reduction, evasion, reflex saves and immunity to energy drain) and EA T4.
    Last edited by mikarddo; 07-24-2022 at 11:49 AM.

Community Member

If you have the cannith crafting skill, you can replace the wizardry prefix on your GoMF with the Initiate prefix, this is the combined spell penetration/wizardry shard which will then free up another claw slot on your dino mail where you've slotted spell pen.

Thank you for the clarifications.

Are you using Fatesinger T5 and core 4, Primal T4 (evasion) and EA T3 (mantle for healing aura) for EDs? I have been using Fate T5, Shadow T3 (threat reduction, evasion, reflex saves and immunity to energy drain) and EA T4.
    Yes i am tier 5 fatesinger and core 4, primal 22 points for evasion in tier 4 and 12 in EA for healing mantle. I don't have max max points on my toon. if i did i would have 15 in EA, 22 in Primal and 36 in Fatesinger
    Unsinful-1 of Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
    If you have the cannith crafting skill, you can replace the wizardry prefix on your GoMF with the Initiate prefix, this is the combined spell penetration/wizardry shard which will then free up another claw slot on your dino mail where you've slotted spell pen.
    dino bone spell pen will be higher and wizardry will also be higher if not on the GoMF. but i suppose the initiate prefix is an option
    Unsinful-1 of Ghallanda

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
    If you have the cannith crafting skill, you can replace the wizardry prefix on your GoMF with the Initiate prefix
    Can you slap this prefix on a Trinket? Last time I checked in game, unbound prefixes can only be used on certain slots:
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Update_55_n...nnith_Crafting

Note that the information comes from the descriptions; I have not tried actually crafting and applying those shards.

I updated my gear to U55.3 where it is possible to craft the Dread Curse set bonus on armor/helm/cloak - which I use to get the 5 piece set bonus.

There are pros and cons compared to the setup Unsinful posted. For me one advantage of this setup is that I can reuse the Elders Cap that I have crafted reaper abilities on

Comments are most welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast