Default Isle of Dread is Amazing

I just wanted to give my compliments and applause to the Devs, Designers, Artists, Composers, and everyone else who made Isle of Dread come to life.

I spent the entire weekend taking it in solo so I could explore all the nooks and crannies and dialogue. The story was fun, the music really set the tone for everything, the new ladders were a nice change. The curse challenge in final story of main arc was neat and made the pacing and decisions interesting. Raid Level bosses in wilderness is a nice and scary addition.

I really can't wait to find out what Vecna has in store for us.

This new expansion has a good chance of pushing my favorites like Ravenloft, Temple of Elemental Evil, and Against the Slave Lords down a notch.

Great Job to all of you.

While I have no particular fondness for dinos, I'd have to agree that it came out well. Usually there will be a quest or two that annoy the snot out of me, but not in this case. All of them are solid and a couple are quite good. There are a few things I could pick at, but i am very happy with it overall.
    Bogenbroom's legion... 102 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Community Manager

Thank you!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

I was about to start a similar thread. Outstanding job SSG!! Well done! I love everything about Isle of Dread. (Just clean up the bugs, which I know you are working on, and this will be remembered as one of the greatest expansions!)

Art A+
    Great work on al the new art.

Quests: B+
    I quests are a range of Good to Great.
    Nit Pick on quests: Tile Puzzle seems out of place. A new puzzle type would have been cool or keep the tiles, and instead of light have lava or water flowing thrown the "trench".

Wilderness: B-
    "Pack" activation. I have to be right on top of most mobs for them to activate. And then the whole pack doesn't activate. My crown of Snow can freeze inactive mobs and I have to wait for it wear off to kill them. This is annoying. The addition of the Purple names and special drops from them is nice.

Dino Crafting: B+
    A few more options in each group would be nice. I see great caster options, which is good for some of my toons, but others don't feel as much of the love. I do like the removable piece option. Great concept, just needs a little fine tuning.

Other:
    I wish Filigree would drop. It could be the same old ones we have that is ok. Or if you want to try something new, to make it feel Legendary. A Special drop with the same drop rate as other named items, a Rare Filigree will drop. This means no common Filigrees will drop, but there is a chance for a rare to drop from any of the Filigree Groups.

Over all I love this pack. Keep up the good work.

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by DarkChilde View Post
    Art A+

Nit Pick on quests: Tile Puzzle seems out of place. A new puzzle type would have been cool or keep the tiles, and instead of light have lava or water flowing thrown the "trench".

"Pack" activation. I have to be right on top of most mobs for them to activate. And then the whole pack doesn't activate. My crown of Snow can freeze inactive mobs and I have to wait for it wear off to kill them. This is annoying. The addition of the Purple names and special drops from them is nice.

Dino Crafting: B+
    A few more options in each group would be nice. I see great caster options, which is good for some of my toons, but others don't feel as much of the love. I do like the removable piece option. Great concept, just needs a little fine tuning.

Other:
    I wish Filigree would drop. It could be the same old ones we have that is ok. Or if you want to try something new, to make it feel Legendary. A Special drop with the same drop rate as other named items, a Rare Filigree will drop. This means no common Filigrees will drop, but there is a chance for a rare to drop from any of the Filigree Groups.

Over all I love this pack. Keep up the good work.
    Agree with this overall.

Having no filigrees drop seems weird to me, since you can get items that can use them, but you can't get any from this pack.
    DDO: If a problem cannot be solved by the application of DPS, you're not applying enough.

Art A+
    Agreed. From the monsters to the quests, they all look super.

I'd had that same thought. Same with the traps w/ boxes.

Man, you hit probably my two biggest "nits". Activation in the the wilderness is funky. I've been feeling like it is all very melee oriented. And it isn't just the distances. It is the delay while they go through the "waking up" animations. I took my enchanter/charmer through there and man was he useless...

But minor things. Many thumbs up in general.
    Bogenbroom's legion... 102 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Default A suggestion

Cometfall and Meteor Swarm should do purple damage vs. Dinos.

Master Rogue of Argonnessen Equatis's Avatar

Default Isle of Dread is really amazing but...

What is up with the mobs in both the wilderness and in the quests ? Are they all really that stoned they don't notice things around them ? I play an assassin and it totally breaks immersion when I sneak up behind a mob (wilderness OR quest) and attempt to assassinate them only to have them remain unalert or responsive to any action I do UNTIL I literally get in their face unsneak and dance around to get their attention. Now I can assassinate them ! but wait..too late they now know I am here.

I could understand if I were able to assassinate one from the initial sneak and the others came alert and looked a round at their fallen comrade and said look Bob has fallen down, what happened to Bob ? Is that blood ? Look at that gash in Bob's neck/back/ribs etc. and began to look around for whom ever dispatched poor Bob, but to remain totally unresponsive to my attacks until I reveal myself to them and slap them in the face to get their attention ? Makes a poor assassin sad.
    The Rogues of Argonnessen, picking pockets for a better Stormreach, relieving you of your clutter so you don't have to. Need something? Tell us where you saw it, how well it's guarded and when the current owners aren't going to be home. We will get you the exact same make, model and color, For a fee.

Quote Originally Posted by dameron View Post
    Cometfall and Meteor Swarm should do purple damage vs. Dinos.
    Omg, YES!!!

(I actually spit out my drink when I read this)
    Sartika, Leader of The Red Scare, Cannith Server
    Alts: Noalynn - Kenzari - Vren - Kreena - and many others

Yes!

+ More or less everything, great job!

of notes:
    1. quests have new and neat graphic, lovely!
    2. quests are bugfree more or less, solid.
    3. I have fun! (most important of all)
    4. Crafting system is easy and quite fast thanks to quest lengths. (If quests had been longer/slower needed to increase droprate)

Things maybe could be changed to the better?

1. Activation zones on mobs, you must go to them to activate them more or less? I thought my comp had gone bananas first. Plz change this. It feels unnatural and make less tactics available. + breaks imersion.
    2. No filigres at all? Great suggestions of other: a) randomly every available filligre in game or some select rares seldom drops? (or even better: introduce new ones if time now after)
    3. Personally i want black pearls also be sellable/buyable- LET THE MARKET LOOSE!!!!!!!

The one thing i personally see as a small minus:

All quests very short, was perfect when i checked around and flowersniffed- but last saga runs i just zerged on r1 solo and i do it already faster than ravenloft/saltmarch and especially sharn.
    I feel it is a tad little?

Overall: another great content upgrade, B+ i give, had mobs activated better, we had filigres dropped and 1 or 2 quests slightly longer it had been A.

Plz change bind status on blackpearls?
    Triple all

Community Member

Default witches chest in fall of forbidden temple - anybody know how to open it?

Quote Originally Posted by Heladron View Post
    I just wanted to give my compliments and applause to the Devs, Designers, Artists, Composers, and everyone else who made Isle of Dread come to life.

I spent the entire weekend taking it in solo so I could explore all the nooks and crannies and dialogue. The story was fun, the music really set the tone for everything, the new ladders were a nice change. The curse challenge in final story of main arc was neat and made the pacing and decisions interesting. Raid Level bosses in wilderness is a nice and scary addition.

I really can't wait to find out what Vecna has in store for us.

This new expansion has a good chance of pushing my favorites like Ravenloft, Temple of Elemental Evil, and Against the Slave Lords down a notch.

Great Job to all of you.
    ====
    Hi guys - does anybody know how to open the Witches chest in Ilse of Dread - fall of the forbidden temple???
    serched for a key, a lever, used knock, dissolve lock, rogue skill, bullywoog skill, dispel magic, etc but no luck
    all help appreciated

Community Member

The art and encounters are all very good. I solo'd with my druid to experience the quests before doing it in groups. There was only one glaring problem.
    Charisma damage. Even with charisma augments the kopru could one-shot my charisma in a single shot and it can take several minutes before you are able to do anything. It made most Kopru encounters annoying. It made the end fight against the matron impossible.

Stat damage has always been a sore spot for DDO. Particularly stacking stat damage. It should have been fixed if it was to be part of the arsensal of the new boss enemies.

Default Melee gear is lackluster

I find the melee gear to be lacking. There is no necklace or rings geared toward melee dps/tank. The dino augs also don't make up for that. The Firemouth set is aimed at tanks but I took it anyway since it worked out well with Fey Summer/Spring. Although, this is before seeing what the raid drops are. The Isle Curse set is missing melee bonuses. It has +2 profane DC but where is the tactics DC? I see no reason to use any of it for melee.

Default regarding lackluster loot

People will play raids long after they need stuff if it becomes a reliable destination but places with no incentives scare everyone off, even if you don't care, hard to find groups.
    Last edited by Oliphant; 08-26-2022 at 11:13 PM.
    Please consider the environment before printing this post