Default Weird Graphics Glitch

In No Refunds quest from Sharn. Keep getting flashes where one quarter of the screen goes white (random quarter) or half the screen goes white (random side). Only seems to happen in that quest for me. It's a constant, quick flashing throughout the quest, providing a strobe light effect and gives me a headache. Makes hopping around the rafters a little difficult, too.
    "The body is but a vessel for the soul;
    A puppet which bends to the soul's tyrrany.
    And lo, the body is not eternal,
    For it must feed on the flesh of others,
    Lest it return to the dust whence it came.
    Therefore must the soul
    Deceive, Despise, and Murder men..."

--A.J.Durai

Have you even gone under the floor in memoirs of a larcener thats a fun quest breaking glitch, but then that quest has lots of those. and yeah i tried dd and /stuck, neither worked but its a short quest.. glitchy graphics in wynwood hall, yeah thats there as well. i know ive seen more i just ignore it and move on most of the time or reset the quest.
    Outatime Exodus-Cradle of Life:Thelanis
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Resetting the quest doesn't work. Tried it. As I said, the glitch I got is only with No Refunds in Sharn, and it happens every time.
    Therefore must the soul

--A.J.Durai

Quote Originally Posted by The_Apocalypse View Post
    Resetting the quest doesn't work. Tried it. As I said, the glitch I got is only with No Refunds in Sharn, and it happens every time.
    Ive done that saga many times and i do know of a few glitches that can cause a restart. Like dieing with a crest and it dropping into the floor. Have you tried switching client. I personally had to go back to the 32 bit recently due to new glitches and crashes on the newest expansion.
    Outatime Exodus-Cradle of Life:Thelanis
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Community Member

I believe it's an extreme case of "screen tearing" and yes, it happens in No Refunds fairly often.

If you enter the quest, and it happens, it's going to be like that for the whole instance. You have to reset the instance and try again, or finish the quest with the handicap.

In your case, you say "it happens every time" - I'm not sure if you're saying that because you're frustrated, or if it's the truth. If it is the actual truth, try doing something different like modifying your graphics settings/quality (ie. vsync, triple buffering) and taking mouse look mode off when entering the quest.

Good point. It has only been happening since Isle of Dread went live. I'll change my graphics. Wasn't sure if it was just me or what.
    Therefore must the soul

--A.J.Durai

Community Member

Good point. It has only been happening since Isle of Dread went live. I'll change my graphics. Wasn't sure if it was just me or what.
    Actually, this was happening to me long before IOD went live. The strange thing is, it doesn't happen every time I do the quest. But when it does, its very, very annoying. Hard to see where the heck youre going, much less trying to fight the baddies. Just wondering if its somehow related to a certain graphics card?? I have an Nvidia GTX 1660 which is a lower end card nowadays but it handles this game fine otherwise.

Community Member

When that happens, restart DDO. It went away for me after a restart every time. No need to reset quest.

Community Member

I have this. Screen become divided with lots of fractals. I don´t have any lag or issues with DDO but in this one I always have this issue and makes complicated to say the least to run even in low reaper. I run with an geforce 750 ti

This is actually a very unusual bug. I'm not 100% certain on what the exact issue is, because...

I often run this in a multi-client setup (farming for family).

And I've experienced this bug before, also before Isle of Dread release, so it's not a recent thing. BUT... The interesting thing is:

I can have 5 Clients that are fine, but 1 Client will experience the issue.
    I can have 3 Clients that are fine, but 1 Client will experience the issue.
    The Client experiencing the issue may be different one each time.

Since they are all on the same machine, this means it's unlikely to be a Hardware issue (else they'd all be experiencing the issue then)
    Since they are all on the same machine and the issue can strike different Clients, it means it's unlikely to be a DDO Data file corruption issue (else they'd all be experiencing the issue as they all use the same data files) - (However, if it's the PC misreading the texture for the file that is called, that could be a potential issue I suppose)
    Since it randomly hits 1 Client, it can't be a connection issue, else (in theory) all the other clients should have issue as well.

This leaves very few things it could be.

Interestingly, I have made observations of these instances before, and in all instances, they appear to follow on from specific "origin" points in game (if you don't move or turn, nothing happens, the triangles stay in their position). Suggesting it might possibly be lighting based or equivalent of light rays being emitted from specific lighting sources (and thus they scatter all around when you move with this issue active). But the issue only comes up sporadically, most probably (as above) due to bad calls from the client from the data files for what to display and ends up getting nothing, or not getting the data in time before loading in.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath, Jedinja.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

In No Refunds quest from Sharn. Keep getting flashes where one quarter of the screen goes white (random quarter) or half the screen goes white (random side). Only seems to happen in that quest for me. It's a constant, quick flashing throughout the quest, providing a strobe light effect and gives me a headache. Makes hopping around the rafters a little difficult, too.
    Happens to me too occasionally.

Community Member

Also on isle of the dread on "The Stone Crypt Chronicle" my fps goes to 20/25 when it´s on the outside area. On the inside areas it goes back to normal at 60 cap. Maybe would be a good place for developers to know cause it may be the lack of a driver optmization.