Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default This storage problem is only getting worse

We really need more bank space. Critical issue. I was already maxxed out with near 10 mules. Now we've got two more levels and a whole new tier of gear to put where exactly?
    Sometimes I pull one out just to watch it die over and over. That's how much I hate hires.

Community Member

If an expansion have 5 bound to character items they should give to everyone who purchased it 5 extra spaces.

While this doesn´t happen they should make all items bound to account. Would not solve the inventory problem but would ease a bit.

Otherwise why pay for the extra trouble since there are still 30 levels available with good content.

Quote Originally Posted by krimsonrane View Post
    We really need more bank space. Critical issue. I was already maxxed out with near 10 mules. Now we've got two more levels and a whole new tier of gear to put where exactly?
    True add more stuff with no new storage

I agree, it's time to change the storage model.

For a while, certain epic items could be turned into a token that went into the green bag, and then you could rebuild the item at the epic ritual altar. How about taking advantage of this idea by expanding it to all named, so that we can store equipment that we are not using in a life in the bags? What if a lot of btc objects are passed to bta, so we don't have to have so many things in the cache?

Between the reincarnations in various cases, the insane number of items and levels, and the low storage we have, this game can be very frustrating.

And I still haven't talked about spending two hours emptying the TR cache...

Quote Originally Posted by Lamassut View Post

For a while, certain epic items could be turned into a token that went into the green bag, and then you could rebuild the item at the epic ritual altar. How about taking advantage of this idea by expanding it to all named, so that we can store equipment that we are not using in a life in the bags? What if a lot of btc objects are passed to bta, so we don't have to have so many things in the cache?

Between the reincarnations in various cases, the insane number of items and levels, and the low storage we have, this game can be very frustrating.

ive been playing elder scrolls online for a while, and their stickerbook system should be something that every mmo should implement.

it works like this:

do the dungeon, get the item, now said item is unlocked in the stickerbook.
    you can reconstruct said item via currency that you earn daily by doing dungeons. does not have to be the same dungeon that item dropped, its just an universal currency. (and its not a physical currency like collectables, its just like platinum for example.)
    this whole thing is accountwide btw.

this is such a huge benefit for the players. it saves storagespace, is easy to use, works for your whole account, and is customizable, ie you choose the quality of the item (comparable to say some of ddos items that have "normal" and "hard" versions of the same item you got from different difficulty settings).

it just works.

if ddo could implement something like that (as it did in a slightly similar fashion mentioned above), it would free up so. much. space. and maybe even lessen the impact on the servers by not having to store all those items everywhere. but what do i know.

Community Member

Yes, something, *anything* has to be done. I hope storage is on the highest development priority, now that IoD is out.

Possible improvements

- Turn item into token and back like suggested above

- increase storage dramatically, like 1000+ character bank (list based) and/or shared bank 1000+

- level scaling items so you only have to keep 1 version not 2 (heroic / epic or heroic / legendary) and FAR less items/sets overall

- change binding, BTC -> BTA and BTA -> unbound

I said this already years ago and it gets worse and worse...

It is already foreseeable that we will get a level cap increase in a two-level per step pattern and we will most likely get with each level cap increase new content including new items.
    So do the developers intend to give us every two-level a completely new item set and do they expect us to use and store them?
    I have no idea why the developer doesn't finally comprehend that DDO is because of the reincarnation idea DIFFERENT from other games?
    In DDO we don't get level 20 items and then when we get to level 30 items we throw the level 20 items away because we will need the level 20 items again, and this is most likely not only one time.
    But maybe they basically know it but they are not willing or able to act accordingly?

What DDO needs are items we can use at ANY character level!
    With the Cannith Crafting item, level scaling system we have basically a backbone to make such a system work, all we need are items that have a flexible Minimum Level that changes with the character level when you have them equipped.
    This is only the basics of such a system, in addition, items could have "power levels" so you can improve your items.
    I don't want to go too much into the details here but the most important improvement with this would be that you need only one of each item and you could collect an item set for your character that works on all character levels without being too strong for any character level.
    And no, this is not boring and you are not too fast "done" with your items, all you need is to design DDO and the items (and quests) accordingly.

And the next approach to deal with the item problem is playing different characters for different builds and each character can store his own items he needs for this build.
    But this is only working if we have account-based progression, then we could play different characters very similar like we play now so-called "mains" and each one can store his own items which makes item management a lot easier and logical.
    Instead of a mule for wizard items, you have a wizard with his items, and instead of a mule for barbarian items, you have another character who is your barbarian with his own items.

These are two ideas to make item management fundamental better in DDO with the same space we have currently available but of course, you can also increase the space, foremost the shared account bank space could be dramatically increased and in addition, all items should be bound to account unless there are very good reasons to make them BTC but the developers should avoid it in the future to introduse items with the need to be BTC (for example the VIP tickets from Saltmarch).

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard1406 View Post
    Yes, something, *anything* has to be done. I hope storage is on the highest development priority, now that IoD is out.

Possible improvements

- Turn item into token and back like suggested above

- increase storage dramatically, like 1000+ character bank (list based) and/or shared bank 1000+

- level scaling items so you only have to keep 1 version not 2 (heroic / epic or heroic / legendary) and FAR less items/sets overall

- change binding, BTC -> BTA and BTA -> unbound

I like the level scaling idea

Side note always found it to be rather silly to have Herioc Epic & now Legendary version of the same items anyway

Scaling makes way more sense thematically to me instead of having 3 different of the same item you have one and it’s potential is unlocked by the level of character using it

Community Member

I've always wanted to see a way to reduce the ML on gear (without, of course, reducing stats). Maybe a new kind of Reincarnation where all your equipped gear gets its ML bumped down by some factor...maybe some kind of Sentience-like system where you feed an item to reduce its ML.....maybe just Augments of -X ML (and also possibly Augment of +X Scaling, letting you increase the scalable affixes on an item without increasing its ML)

That'd at least let you eventually build up a single set you can run for leveling, even if you continue to grind for new gear to min-max cap play

Honestly, gear is such an afterthought/overkill for most of Heroic leveling now (and Epic becoming more and more the same way) that they should just make it official, give us a new progression system to chase, help accelerate Past Life grinding for those who arent already trip-comps, and reduce some of the inventory load associated with sub-29 gear

/agreed.

They should indeed give us a new Archaeology Huge Bag that holds all the dinosaur bones and craftable gear. And a brand new bank tab named "Archaeology".

I am certain the Bank of Kundarak has enough space for Archaeology, does it not?

Besides, we asked the devs to throw us a bone, and they did. I know these fossils are more like rocks?

We were so used to rocks instead of jewels, now; with Orlassk, the Lord of Stone's approval, aye?

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    /agreed.

They should indeed give us a new Archaeology Huge Bag that holds all the dinosaur bones and craftable gear. And a brand new bank tab named "Archaeology".

I am certain the Bank of Kundarak has enough space for Archaeology, does it not?

Besides, we asked the devs to throw us a bone, and they did. I know these fossils are more like rocks?

We were so used to rocks instead of jewels, now; with Orlassk, the Lord of Stone's approval, aye?
    The Bank of Kundarak should have a Cosmetic Wardrobe tab, a Hireling contract safety deposit box, a Weapons lock box, and an Equipment/Gear locker (at the very least).
    Crafting Ingredient tabs should be broken down as well into Augments, Filigrees, Cannith materials, etc.

Community Member

I have so many mules full of gear and don't want *another* one (favor farm for the extra slots is especially tedious). I guess I'll not farm IoD for the gear until we get better storage.

After all I heard it's not much better than Sharn/Fey/pre IoD raid gear, and I don't need lvl 7 heroic gear either, can use Feywild set + some RL at 10.

Community Member

I've come to the conclusion I'm just going to skip farming IoD. My current gearset seems fine and the grind-wall for IoD is too painful. I'll come back when the cap hits 34.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamassut View Post

I don't think a token/sticker book system is really required. They just need to update the storage logic to something from this (or even the last) decade. There are neither that many players nor that much stuff that tokenizing should be required. Also with the customization (e.g. augments, filigrees, reaper and mythic bonuses) available I am not certain that a token is any easier to store than the actual item. If SSG cannot write code to handle a few thousand items per player I am not certain that they can write something that tokenizes and back without messing up royally.

So yes, please fix the storage system (both storage ability and UI) but please don't over complicate things.

Quote Originally Posted by ahpook View Post
    I don't think a token/sticker book system is really required. They just need to update the storage logic to something from this (or even the last) decade. [...]

So yes, please fix the storage system (both storage ability and UI) but please don't over complicate things.
    What Database are you thinking of here?

NoSQL with Mongo DB so that each item can be represent as a JSON object?

With JSON we can also do easy queries with Mongo DB?

Yeah, 2006 DB is already 16 years old... I hope not MySQL or SQL Lite.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

a new Archaeology Huge Bag that holds all the dinosaur bones
    Ouch....you hurt me right in the paleontologies....

Quote Originally Posted by salmag View Post
    The Bank of Kundarak should have a Cosmetic Wardrobe tab, a Hireling contract safety deposit box, a Weapons lock box, and an Equipment/Gear locker (at the very least).
    Crafting Ingredient tabs should be broken down as well into Augments, Filigrees, Cannith materials, etc.
    I would avoid predefined tabs and instead have a robust filtering system and perhaps the ability to store filter sets to limit the results quickly. If everything gets jammed into its own tab then it can become problematic to compare things across tab sets.

What Database are you thinking of here?

NoSQL with Mongo DB so that each item can be represent as a JSON object?

With JSON we can also do easy queries with Mongo DB?

Yeah, 2006 DB is already 16 years old... I hope not MySQL or SQL Lite.
    I would not begin to suggest a DB technology without a better understanding of the current challenges. There are a number of viable technologies that can handle the load but I would say that MySQL and SQLLite are not two of them and should not be considered in multiplayer system of even DDO's size.

Quote Originally Posted by krimsonrane View Post
    I am not going to say you are wrong - but in my opinion some of the pain is self-inflicted.

If you stop hoarding stuff and keep only what you actually need you can very significantly reduce the load. Ofcourse, if you feel you need to keep a copy of every single named item (and some not named items) then you will never, ever have enough room.
    Member of Spellswords on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    I am not going to say you are wrong - but in my opinion some of the pain is self-inflicted.

If you stop hoarding stuff and keep only what you actually need you can very significantly reduce the load. Ofcourse, if you feel you need to keep a copy of every single named item (and some not named items) then you will never, ever have enough room.
    This is a game that incentivizes playing multiple classes. Over and over. Meaning you either keep the named gear you find for when you run those classes, or you throw it away and have nothing for that class when it's needed. And the gear you need is for levels 1-32.
    Sometimes I pull one out just to watch it die over and over. That's how much I hate hires.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast