Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fed Up

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eantarus View Post
    +1

Supper annoying. Other games actually have unified crafting systems.
    I know at least 2 other games being almost as complicated as DDO. Or at least having such a great number of ingredients as well.
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

Community Member

u been playin for 16 years dont u remember how back green steel was? lol

but i agree more crafting system is annoying

Community Member

Sharn crafting is so good. So easy to make. So straight forward.

But ok. If a new player join today. How many crafting system will be relevant to him?

epic green steel
    epic slave lord
    epic cannith
    epic sharn
    new dinosaur bone

Some say that the money is a limit to people start on DDO, I say the learning curve is way too high. A new player must remember quests, quest names, locations, gear worth using per level, builds good enough for first life, ddo wiki, game mechanics, game mechanics that are not in the ddo wiki, raids, puzzles and so on and on. It takes months to be an average player.

So ok, we will have one more craft and at this time there is nothing we can do about it. Just hope it will stay relevant on the other legendary levels otherwise it will be a waste of time. I think that overcomplicating the gear setups is far from good design since players will only need to copy an uber player who is in the game for longer once. Then just rinse and repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Caver View Post
    run over to a crafting station and see what you can make
    This part is a major problem. DDO does not "self-document" at all. Until someone breaks things down into a simple "how-to" on the wiki, anything new added to the game might as well not exist for most players.

For example, it's possible to quickly farm mats to finish out sharn items (roughly 30~60m per item starting with zero mats on hand) using the COGS saga quest rewards, but that isn't documented anywhere other than by implication and it requires having a strong blaster farm character and knowledge of the cogs.

Quote Originally Posted by blarhblarhblarh View Post
    learning curve is way too high. A new player must remember quests, quest names, locations, gear worth using per level, builds good enough
    Where DDO's learning curve bites people is in the "jump in and do it" crowd. The leveling UI doesn't display goals, only present-level choices. It's actually designed to lead newbies into blind no-way-out total build failures. Lack of documentation about precise behavior for game effects, including offensive and defensive thresholds to meet the results you need to play is utterly lacking, too.

To have fun, you need to build it off-line in advance. In order to do that, you have to know the game. In order to know it, you have to not just play it, but test it. It's not even the lack of accurate precise documentation that kills the game for the classic spontaneous jump-in-and-play newbie.

The newbie killer is the point at which you can apply whatever knowledge you have comes before you create the character at all.

I've tried the soul sucking grind that is crafting in LOTRO and did not like, so just because it is 'unified' doesn't mean it is good. It is more boring than watching parliamentary debates.

But if I had to craft items, I'd rather a system like DDO where you don't have to level up in some profession for months just to have access to recipies. You just have to run the content. Everyone gets access (not talking about Cannith crafting here).

So far, doing just fine with grinding quests for named set items. I'd rather 'waste' my time running quests.

if everyone had all they could get all at once they would get bored with the game.

Community Member

What if dino crafting turns out to be not worth doing? That'll be so sad. As it stands now, it's not that attractive, but I'll try it out and see what I can do with it. Imagine putting all this effort into a system that only a few people use. I actually like new crafting and don't care about new mats. I do need the system to be attractive and reasonable. The jury is still out on this one. I need to try it out before forming a proper opinion.

The game has much more glaring serious issues like class/playstyle imbalance.
    Last edited by GramercyRiff; 06-20-2022 at 12:19 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12