Community Manager

Default Isle of Dread: Treasure, Power, Pirates, and Dinosaur Bones!

Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

Does a t-rex poo in the woods?

Answer: Yes

Is there, by any chance, a "Watsonian" (read in-universe/diagetic/narrative) reason that Dinosaur bones from IoD are a better material for making weapons and armor than any of the magical materials that we've previously had access to?

Clearly the "Doylian" (read real/metagame) reason is because it's the new thing and higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by Artos_Fabril View Post
    Is there, by any chance, a "Watsonian" (read in-universe/diagetic/narrative) reason that Dinosaur bones from IoD are a better material for making weapons and armor than any of the magical materials that we've previously had access to?

Clearly the "Doylian" (read real/metagame) reason is because it's the new thing and higher level.
    I'm going to go with:

The magical energies enveloping the Isle of Dread, has also left minute lingering magical energy onto its flora and fauna, that is in turn consumed by the herbivore based life forms, which is in turn consumed by the carnivorous apex predators. And over time, amoungst the longest surviving Dinosaurs, this form of ingested magical energies has amassed enough inside some of those Dinosaurs, that their very bones radiate magical energies that can be harnessed and crafted into powerful magical items and effects.

But that's just me.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath, Jedinja.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Quote Originally Posted by J1NG View Post
    I'm going to go with:

The magical energies enveloping the Isle of Dread, has also left minute lingering magical energy onto its flora and fauna, that is in turn consumed by the herbivore based life forms, which is in turn consumed by the carnivorous apex predators.
    Magic is subject to bioaccumulation and/or biomagnification is an interesting take. Maybe we should be eating these dinosaurs, not just crafting weapons and armor from their remains.

Quote Originally Posted by LT218 View Post
    Does a t-rex poo in the woods?

Answer: Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

a wizard did it.
    Mains - Messam, Indalecio, Mozenrath, Quackerjack.

Quote Originally Posted by Seph1roth5 View Post
    a wizard did it.
    That's a barely acceptable answer even in a fantasy setting, exchanges "how?" for "who?"and "why?"

Magic is subject to bioaccumulation and/or biomagnification is an interesting take. Maybe we should be eating these dinosaurs, not just crafting weapons and armor from their remains.
    I would go about it saying that it would be ineffective by simply eating dinosaurs, because the body of the dinosaur loses cells that may carry such minute magical energies naturally through cell division; gradually replacing the cells that might have captured some magical energy with cells that does not hold any magical energy. Only the bones normally retain what is absorbed through growth as the bones do not get replaced. And since the parts of the bone that would hold more of the magical energies are typially ineddible for player characters, this means the only option is to craft weaponry from them instead.

If we really want to go more into it, we could also say that the dinosaurs on Isle of Dread, being born there and impacted by the ambient magical energies there over time; from conception, birth, to life and new life, have been "mutated" and thus retain the magical energies more efficiently in their bones (same reasons as above). Other species that wish to also gain such power inside their bodies will need to spend many hundreds of generations hoping that one day, their species would also gain this ability.

That is how I would go about it for a more "logical" reason why we have dinosaur bone crafting.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath, Jedinja.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Default Wizards. They're responsible for everything.

That's a barely acceptable answer even in a fantasy setting, exchanges "how?" for "who?"and "why?"
    They don't call them Barbarians of the Coast.
    Last edited by Mindos; 06-11-2022 at 08:30 PM.

Default lv 7 loot? and lv 2x upgrade like saltmash?

??? will the crafting be lv 7 stuff as well? and will there be an option to upgrade lv 7? loot to 20sumething loot? (like 24ish).
    BEST thing saltmash has is that loot upgrade.

and plz stop with the filagrees its a waste of inventory space, Especially we here how all the 'stuff' we haul around effect game play maybe get rid of 90% of the filagrees would be a good start.

Thank you for post if on update, currently undecided about getting it. don't care at all about high end loot (weekend warrior still just getting levels ... Likely forever lol).

Community Member

There's some discrepancy between Lamannia preview info and the loot page on ddo.com.

Lamannia preview information ddo.com information
    Scale: requires quest ingredients Fang (Quests)
    Fang: requires quest ingredients Horn (Quests)
    Claw: requires landscape ingredients Scale (Wilderness)
    Horn: requires raid ingredients Teeth (Raid or special Wilderness encounters)
    Set Bonus: requires raid ingredients Set Bonus (Raid or special Wilderness encounters)

If Lama preview information is obsolete, that's ok. If ddo.com info is wrong, then it probably should be fixed.

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    There's some discrepancy between Lamannia preview info and the loot page on ddo.com.

Lamannia preview information ddo.com information
    Scale: requires quest ingredients Fang (Quests)
    Fang: requires quest ingredients Horn (Quests)
    Claw: requires landscape ingredients Scale (Wilderness)
    Horn: requires raid ingredients Teeth (Raid or special Wilderness encounters)
    Set Bonus: requires raid ingredients Set Bonus (Raid or special Wilderness encounters)

If Lama preview information is obsolete, that's ok. If ddo.com info is wrong, then it probably should be fixed.
    It looks like the preview information doesn't include the update to location to include the addition of certain wilderness encounters for these items.
    Join us on Twitch!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    It looks like the preview information doesn't include the update to location to include the addition of certain wilderness encounters for these items.
    Yeah that's indeed one of several differences, the others being:
    - augment name: claw or teeth
    - which ing comes from landscape: claw or scale
    - which ing comes from raid: horn or teeth

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    Yeah that's indeed one of several differences, the others being:
    - augment name: claw or teeth
    - which ing comes from landscape: claw or scale
    - which ing comes from raid: horn or teeth
    Thanks, fixed on the loot page, will make sure it is right in the final notes.
    Join us on Twitch!

Quote Originally Posted by MadGardener View Post
    and plz stop with the filagrees its a waste of inventory space, Especially we here how all the 'stuff' we haul around effect game play maybe get rid of 90% of the filagrees would be a good start.
    The best way to not haul it around is throw it into your crafting storage, along with almost everything else that goes into a bag you might be carrying. You can just drag & drop the bags into the crafting storage window and it'll start emptying the contents out automagically. If you need it later, you can get at it from any character. It does not appear to be having any significant impact upon my gameplay at all - unless I'm at the bank, and then it takes a whole half second to open, including my TR cache.

Quote Originally Posted by ilhares View Post
    The best way to not haul it around is throw it into your crafting storage, along with almost everything else that goes into a bag you might be carrying. You can just drag & drop the bags into the crafting storage window and it'll start emptying the contents out automagically. If you need it later, you can get at it from any character. It does not appear to be having any significant impact upon my gameplay at all - unless I'm at the bank, and then it takes a whole half second to open, including my TR cache.
    I don't like putting filigrees in the crafting storage because there's no catch-all term you can use to pull them all up. I don't put named augments in there for the same reason.

Unfortunately the only real alternative is the DDO points bag, since the small one only holds 15 items. I think I got mine with one of the older expansion tiers.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ilhares View Post
    I know that this is now off-topic, but the amount of filigrees is "disheartening".

SUGGESTION FOR SSG: give us a way to swap x filigrees for a Sentient XP item.