Default Alphonse the Toxic Robot Alchemist (18/1/1 Alchemist/Artificer/Barbarian)

(Image credit goes to FourPrawn. His deviantart is linked.)

This alchemist cosplays as a fighter for the first four levels, meleeing with a greatsword thanks to the Harper tree and Master's Touch. Toughness feats make him surprisingly tanky, supported by self-healing from Repair Light Damage. The Iron Defender is a decent 55hp meatshield during the crucial early levels and becomes a disposable lever puller, sacrificial distraction, and glorious destroyer of crates.

After getting maximize at level 5, he hangs up his big weapon and uses his medical degree, diagnosing his victims with terminal illness. The apothecary tree offers both damage and survivability: Maximized Inflict Light Wounds nukes every 4 seconds while Soothing Poultices turns repair light damage into a cheap and spammable source of 20+ temporary hitpoints. Learning Multivial of Poison at level 13, he drops the healer disguise and embraces the poison spec of Bombardier tree, raining destruction down. Alchemists shine after level 12; this build just ameliorates the difficult early game, especially important because of the lack of past lives and equipment in Hardcore.

This build is designed for heroic 5k favor grinding; a pure alchemist would handle epic questing more easily. In return though, it crushes heroic content and offers uncompromising trapping performance in a tough monster deletion package thanks to high intelligence, evasion, and alchemist's insane scaling. 5 toughness feats, renegade defender, and warforged enhancements translate into the equivalent of more than d16 hp at level 19, addressing alchemist's main weakness in hardcore: low health. I personally was rocking close to 600 with over 2000 effective health. Damage-wise, all he needs is Stygian Wrath and the Dreadkeeper set; all of his other gear slots are for defense and utility. If you wish to continue into epics with this character, however, barbarian would be taken last for the +10% run speed; level 19 alchemist does not add anything to this build. Since the shiradi mantle was gutted, we instead choose the primal avatar mantle for the infinite SP.

Tl;dr:
    • Warforged for immunities, construct toughness enhancements, and spellpower
    • Artificer splash for trapping, early self-sustain, Master's touch, and free lever puller
    • Alchemist for big explosions
    • Poison to hit fortitude saves (generally lower than reflex saves) and no evasion equivalent
    • Feydark for magic missile immunity
    • Vistani for deflect arrows
    • Defense is prioritized over pure damage; death = 0 damage and 0 favor
    • Either take mithril body at 15 or use Fred to feat respec into it after the level 13 enhancement tree reset into bombardier, otherwise alchemical shield stops working for magic missile immunity.

17 spot is needed in level 3 and 4 elite quests to spot control boxes. That target is relatively hard to hit if wisdom is dumped. 12 wisdom (in 32 point builds) is taken purely to hit that number without needing Leather Gloves of the Snake (from Kind of a Big Deal that is normally done at level 10). Instead, all that is needed is the Korthos Troubleshooter set, level 22+ guild buffs, and a +2 wisdom item (or just with greater heroism, which this build gets at level 7). 22 spot is needed in level 5 elite quests and can be met with greater heroism (or Amethyst Loupe). Level 6-9 elite quest spots are handled by Leather Gloves of the Snake; Level 10-16 by Keylock Ring; Level 17-19 by Experimenter's Goggles. If spot is not needed, the 6 wisdom can be swapped to 6 strength for more carrying capacity or 2 constitution for more health.

28 point builds would still have 18 constitution and intelligence, but instead put their 2 free points into strength as going from 6 to 8 wisdom won't matter: the 17 spot still cannot be met unless you have Goggles of Time-Sensing, which hits 17 spot regardless of your base wisdom score.

Equipment:
    This build is also designed to be relatively gear-independent. Key items to hit are:
    • 1-9: Ember Great Axe (starting weapon), Troubleshooter set (Korthos), Amethyst Loupe (The Haunting of Saltmarsh - 3), Leather Gloves of the Snake (Kind of a Big Deal - 6)
    • 10-16: Keylock Ring (Death House - 10), Beacon of Magic set with Silverthread belt (Ravenloft - 10), Dusk Heart (Sands rare - 11)
    • 17-19: Stygian Wrath (The Same Old Song - 15), Experimenter's Goggles (The Underlane Assignment - 17), Dreadkeeper set (Sharn Docks - 17)

Good gearsets by level:
    • Level 5:
      • Head: Crown of Snow (The Legend of the Lost Locket)
      • Neck: Winter Court Necklace (A Frosty Reception)
      • Body: Darkmoss (Make Believe)
      • Back: Cloak of Winter (Combatting Corruption)
      • Wrist: Green Dragonscale Bracers (Needle in a Fey Stack)
      • Waist: Belt of the Ram (The Thornwright)
      • Finger1: Ring of the Mire (Into the Deep)
      • Feet: Boots of the Mire (Into the Deep)
      • Hand: Leather Gloves of the Snake (Kind of a Big Deal)
      • Finger2: Ring of Fall's Decay (Make Believe)
      • Offhand: Hallowsphere (Immortality Lessons)

• Level 10:
      • Eye: Summoner's Spectacles (Mad Tea Party)
      • Head: Crown of Snow (save from level 5 set)
      • Neck: Winter Court Necklace (save from level 5 set)
      • Trinket: Dusk Heart (Sand rare)
      • Body: Memory of Fine Regalia (Death House)
      • Back: Mantle of Fury (Into the Mists/Fresh-baked Dreams)
      • Wrist: Green Dragonscale Bracers (save from level 5 set)
      • Waist: Silverthread Belt (Ravens' Bane)
      • Finger1: Keylock Ring (Death House)
      • Feet: Flightfoot Greaves (Death House)
      • Hand: Blurfingered Gloves (Into the Mists)
      • Finger2: Cursebane Ring (Oath of Vengeance)
      • Offhand: Hallowsphere (save from level 5 set)

• Level 17:
      • Eye: Experimenter's Goggles (The Underlane Assignment)
      • Head: Arcsteel Brim (No Refunds)
      • Neck: Hruvayah's Medallion (Chains of Flame)
      • Trinket: Planar Compass (To Curse the Sky)
      • Body: Sinsoul (Soul Survivor)
      • Back: Cape of the Roc (Chains of Flame) or Mantle of Aosu'riel (Seizing the Dawn - 12)
      • Wrist: Necromancer's Bracers (Members Only)
      • Waist: Bronze Dragonscale Belt (Security Detail)
      • Finger1: The Shattered Onyx{insight Intelligence 3} (Reach for the Sky)
      • Feet: Sunken Slippers{quality Intelligence 1} (Members Only)
      • Hand: Skin-tight Gloves (The Offshore Account)
      • Finger2: Celestial Sapphire Ring{enhancement Dexterity 8} (Blown Deadline)
      • Weapon: Deep Demise (Desire in the Dark)
      • Offhand: Stygian Wrath{insight Wisdom 3} (The Same Old Song)

Weaknesses
    Every build has its unique weaknesses to deal with and this one is no exception. Its weakest point is the apothecary stage: undead early and constructs all throughout, especially golems. Both groups are immune to negative energy, your main source of damage during that phase. Make sure you are carrying one of the elemental aoes (I prefer cold and lightning). I tend to reroll "An Invitation to Dinner" until I get Miser so that I don't have to deal with golems. Of course, groups eliminate this sore spot by throwing someone else at the problem but I am talking about this build in a vacuum.

Without further ado, here is the build! It is important to note that the leveling guide will reset 3 times from a greatsword fighter, to a negative energy nuker, before finishing as a poison bombardier. You are welcome to stay poison bombardier the whole way through but the early levels are a lot rougher imo.

Alternative Build Path:
    • Respec Cure/Inflict Light Wounds as needed throughout the leveling process.
    • Extend Spell can be taken if rebuffing is too annoying.

Code:
    Kayze the Unredeemed
    18/1 Alchemist/Artificer
    True Neutral Warforged

Level Order

1. Artificer . . . 6. Alchemist . . .11. Alchemist . . .16. Alchemist
    2. Alchemist. . . .7. Alchemist. . . 12. Alchemist. . . 17. Alchemist
    3. Alchemist. . . .8. Alchemist. . . 13. Alchemist. . . 18. Alchemist
    4. Alchemist. . . .9. Alchemist. . . 14. Alchemist. . . 19. Alchemist
    5. Alchemist. . . 10. Alchemist. . . 15. Alchemist

Stats
    . . . . . . . .28pt . . 32pt. . .Level Up
    . . . . . . . .---- . . ----. . .--------
    Strength. . . . 10. . . . 8 . . . 4: INT
    Dexterity . . . .8. . . . 8 . . . 8: INT
    Constitution. . 18. . . .18 . . .12: INT
    Intelligence. . 18. . . .18 . . .16: INT
    Wisdom. . . . . .6. . . .12
    Charisma. . . . .6. . . . 6 . . .

Skills
    . . . . .Ar Al Al Al Al Al Al Al Al Al Al Al Al Al Al Al Al Al Al
    . . . . . 1 .2 .3 .4 .5 .6 .7 .8 .9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
    . . . . .---------------------------------------------------------
    Concent . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .22
    Spellcr . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .22
    Disable . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .22
    Search. . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .22
    Spot. . . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .22
    Balance . . .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .2 .2 .2 .2 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .22
    UMD . . . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .22
    Heal. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1 .1 .1 .1 .2 .2 .2 .2 .12
    Open Lo . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4
    Perform . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1
    Tumble. . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1
    . . . . .---------------------------------------------------------
    . . . . .32 .8 .8 .8 .8 .8 .8 .9 .9 .9 .9 .9 .9 .9 .9 10 10 10 10

Feats

.1. . . . : Toughness
    .3. . . . : Single Weapon Fighting
    .5 Alchemi: Maximize Spell
    .6. . . . : Empower Spell
    .9. . . . : Improved Single Weapon Fighting
    .9 Alchemi: Insightful Courage
    12. . . . : Toughness
    13 Alchemi: Liquid Luck
    15. . . . : Mithral Body
    17 Alchemi: Mental Toughness
    18. . . . : Greater Single Weapon Fighting

Spells

Alchemist

1. Elemental Skin (2), Feathers Extract (2), Stiffen Skin (3), Gills Extract (8), Curative Admixture: Remove Disease (12)
    2. Alluring Elixir (4), Augment Armor (5), Glue Bomb (9), Greater Venom Vial (12), Salt Crystals (15)
    3. Greater Liquid Courage (7), Displacement Draught (8), Greater Restorative Draught (10), Quicksilver Potion (13), Invisibility Potion (17)
    4. Bottled Boost: Sprint (10), Curative Admixture: Cure Critical Wounds (11), Vein Freeze (12), Cindersmoke (15), Flesh to Gold (17)
    5. Multivial of Poison (13), Greater Evolution (14), Greater Stoneskin (15), Mass Flesh to Gold (17), Turn to Frog (18)
    6. Curative Admixture: Heal (16), Elemental Combination (17), Goldskin Potion (18), Gold Breath (19)
    Artificer
    1. Master's Touch (1), Conjure Bolts (1)
    Enhancements (Spent: 76 +0r +0u / Max: 76 +0r +0u AP) Bombardier (38 AP)
    • Alchemical Resistance, Arcane Oil, Liquid Power I: Liquid Power Poision, Liquid Power II: Liquid Power Poision, Liquid Power III: Liquid Power Poision
      1. Spellvial Selection: Vial of Poision II, Magical Subtlety III
      2. Efficient Metamagic: Efficient Maximize III, Stone of the Savant
      3. Efficient Metamagic II: Efficient Empower II, Swift Ambition, Intelligence
      4. Spell Like Ability, Smoke Bomb I, Burning Ambition, Intelligence
      5. Elemental Obliteration: Poison Obliteration III, Inferno of Creation, Conjuration Focus, Weakening Mixture: Weakening Mixture Poision
    Feydark Illusionist (17 AP)
    • Find Familiar: White Tressym, Ability Score I: Intelligence, Greater Color Spray
      1. Feydark Explorer I, Study the Arcane III
      2. Reality Bulwark III, You've Got My Back
      3. Refraction, Stat: Intelligence
    Warforged (13 AP)
    • Improved Fortification, Warforged Constitution, Improved Fortification II, Warforged Constitution II
      1. Repair Systems: Healer's Friend III, Inscribed Armor III
      2. (none)
      3. Memories of the Last War: +25 Universal Spell Power
    Vistani Knife Fighter (6 AP)
    • Knife Expertise, Knife Juggler
      1. Undead Hunter, Mist Stalker, Acrobatic I
    Renegade Mastermaker (2 AP)
    • Renegade Defender
      1. Easily Fixed
    Leveling Guide
    1. Hrp0 Agent of Good I; Hrp1 Strategic Combat
    2. Hrp1 Harper Enchantment; Hrp2 Know the Angles I, II, III
    3. Hrp0 Ability Score: Intelligence; Hrp3 Strategic Combat II
    4. RM0 Renegade Defender; RM1 Easily Fixed; RM1 Toughness I, II
    5. Reset All Trees
      • Warforged: Improved Fortification
      • Apothecary: Determination, Alchemical Shield
        1. Curative Admixture Cure Light Wounds III, Soothing Poultices III
        2. Stone of the Scholar
        3. Panacea Poultice I, Stat: Intelligence
    6. RM0 Renegade Defender; RM1 Easily Fixed; Apo1 Energy of the Scholar I, II
    7. Apo0 Curative Admixture; Apo1 Energy of the Scholar III; Apo3 Safety Goggles I, II
    8. Apo3 Safety Goggles III; Apo4 Run for your life!
    9. War0 Warforged Constitution; War0 Improved Fortification II; War3 +25 Universal Spell Power; Vis0 Knife Expertise
    10. Vis1 Mist Stalker; Vis1 Undead Hunter; Vis1 Acrobatic I
    11. Vis0 Knife Juggler; Apo4 Intelligence; Apo4 Insulated Boots I
    12. Apo4 Insulated Boots II, III; Apo3 Willful Ambition
    13. Reset All Trees
      • Bombardier: Alchemical Resistance, Arcane Oil, Liquid Power I: Liquid Power Poision, Liquid Power II: Liquid Power Poision
        1. Spellvial Selection: Vial of Poision II, Magical Subtlety III
        2. Efficient Metamagic: Efficient Maximize III, Stone of the Savant
        3. Efficient Metamagic II: Efficient Empower II, Swift Ambition, Intelligence
        4. Spell Like Ability, Smoke Bomb I, Burning Ambition, Intelligence
        5. Elemental Obliteration: Poison Obliteration III, Inferno of Creation, Conjuration Focus, Weakening Mixture: Weakening Mixture Poision
      • Warforged: Improved Fortification
      • Feydark Illusionist: Find Familiar: White Tressym
        1. Feydark Explorer I, Study the Arcane III
        2. You've Got My Back
    14. FYD0 Ability Score I: Intelligence; FYD2 Reality Bulwark I, II, III
    15. FYD0 Greater Color Spray; FYD3 Refraction
    16. FYD3 Intelligence; Vis0 Knife Expertise; Vis1 Mist Stalker
    17. Vis1 Undead Hunter; Vis1 Acrobatic I; Vis0 Knife Juggler
    18. War0 Warforged Constitution; War0 Improved Fortification II; War3 +25 Universal Spell Power; RM0 Renegade Defender
    19. Bom0 Liquid Power III: Liquid Power Poision; RM1 Easily Fixed; War0 Warforged Constitution II
    Last edited by Kayze; 12-18-2022 at 09:10 PM.

Updated now that hardcore season 6 is right around the corner!

Quote Originally Posted by Kayze View Post
    Alternative Build Path:
    If more damage is desired during the mid-level heroics, maximize/empower can be taken instead levels 3/5, utilizing the free feat respec at level 17 to get an extra toughness (moving maximize/empower into the alchemist feat slot).
    I've heard the current state of DDO summed up as "Damage is King", and I tend to agree. This is to say that it's far better to plan to kill a threat quickly than to plan to try to only endure whatever it has to hand you. Or, put simply, kill anything fast enough and its total DPS drops to zero.

Alche's are strong, but their casting still needs to be boosted, and the more the better. This build is designed to be a huge sack of armored hit points - but nothing else. Taking 6 feats that are purely Hit Points, and 3 more than are purely "defense" (of some stripe) isn't going to give you much punch, just the sad truth.

Side by side with a boosted alche, this build will live longer - if neither is casting. But once casting, this build will also find it tougher to kill anything - and, ultimately, that's the only way to survive a battle.

Take a lesson from Sorcerers - they're squishy too, but they don't go off taking Toughness. Never.

Compare to:
    o https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...=1#post6500783
    o https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...=1#post6469659
    o https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...=1#post6526578

Beyond that, I love a fast ranged/caster build; speed is life, and the Barb +10% is great for that. If you're going to lose the capstone (by trapping), getting core 18 at character level 19 does little that waiting until 20 doesn't do. Embrace it, and take Barbarian asap for faster running/kiting - @ Level 2 or 3 for The Harbor (and you can dump Master's Touch then), @ Level 5 if you're chasing Alche Level 2 spells and Core 3 enhancements asap. (Maybe plan the skill points to make the most of their SP into Jump.)

Updated the build with the final one used to hit 5k favor.

As a side note:
    • All traps were safely spotted and disabled at the +2 lockout as long as the relevant trapping gear was equipped (Amethyst Loupe at 3, Leather Gloves of the Snake at 6, Keylock Ring at 10, Experimenter's Goggles at 17).
    • During the Apothecary leveling stage, make sure you use cure flasks for aoe positive damage. Undead are immune to negative damage! Luckily, alchemist spells do not heal enemy undead.
    • Evasion and high reflex saves allow this build to be a no-damage-on-2 crucible swimmer.
    • Stance dancing makes your character so much more powerful. It is not a necessity, but spiking pyrite for the -50% spell point usage will be the difference between having no SP and not having to shrine, and spiking orchidium may be the difference between life and death.

Pre-orchidium spike

Post-orchidium spike
    Last edited by Kayze; 08-15-2022 at 12:35 PM.

Updated for Hardcore Season 7. Update 57 was great for this build:
    • Alchemist hit dice was buffed from d4 to d6 with no corresponding nerfs
    • Changes to heroic durability made melee combat feats more efficient than toughness so...we now take the SWF line.

Ran through this season without getting close to death.

660 base hp at level 18 using the gear listed in the first post. If you are tanking, you can spike to purple using displacement potion for an effective hp of 4.5k.

Got 685 base hp at level 19. Compared to last season's 572, that is an incredible 15.4% higher.