Thread: When?

Default When?

When will SSG implement something for people with over 156 Reaper points? It has been over 5 years since reaper went live and SSG did not have a cap on the reaper point system.

More than a few times, the devs have suggested that "something needs to be added", but yet nothing yet.

Hopefully with the level cap going to 32, now would be the time. IE something as simple as:

+4HP for every point above 156 (only added when character is level 31+)
    To a max of 250 HP at level 32. (Total points : 219)
    Another 250 HP at level 35. ( Total Points: 281)

Cosmetics at 100, 125, 150, 175, 200 etc etc would be great also.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Airmaiden View Post
    When will SSG implement something for people with over 156 Reaper points? It has been over 5 years since reaper went live and SSG did not have a cap on the reaper point system.

+4HP for every point above 156 (only added when character is level 31+)
    To a max of 250 HP at level 32. (Total points : 219)
    Another 250 HP at level 35. ( Total Points: 281)

Are toons with 156 reaper points so weak that they need 500+ more HPs? I thought Reaper was for an "ultimate challenge" setting - why do players need it to me made easier, doesn't that reduce the challenge?

But cosmetics - yes - give them some pretty baubles to show off with!
    He left the name, at which the world grew pale.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by donblas View Post
    Are toons with 156 reaper points so weak that they need 500+ more HPs? I thought Reaper was for an "ultimate challenge" setting - why do players need it to me made easier, doesn't that reduce the challenge?

I think the OP's point is the lack of benefits. There are a few benefits to reaper mode, the main of which is reaper xp. There is also a small increase in some named loot dropping, though most people do loot runs on Elite for speed.

FYI: I have 50 reaper points, so I don't know what a 156 Reaper point toon feels like. I will just be addressing the lack of a benefit to more points.

I agree with the OP in that there should be benefits for reaper point 157, 158, etc., because NOT having a benefit means you have a finish line. MMORPGs are built on a grinding system, and having an endpoint faaaar away is what keeps players coming back. There are people (like Deathy) who have ALL the reaper point and ALL the past lives. He levels 1-30 doing R5. I can see why it is fun - its quite intense and thrilling, even with that amount of points.

Have you ever solo'd a reaper 10 quest, at level cap? ITS TOUGH! If a player has 156 reaper points, then R1 levelling is probably easy. But, getting to that level takes a LONG TIME, totalling 24,336,000 reaper xp for that 156th point.

To put that into perspective, Running R10 Grim and Barrett (a lvl 32 quest) flawlessly would net you between 2,500 and 4,000 reaper xp. That means, you would need to Run Grim and Barrett around 6800 times to reach that cap, or about 68000 times on R1. THINK ABOUT IT. Its a massive investment of time, energy, and practice.

To have the probably years-long grind just... end...? I think not.

I think DDO should expand reaper mode, by what measure I am not sure. But SSG has raised caps on various other player statistics, like levels (cap was 10 then 12 in 2006, 14 in 2007, 16 in 2008, 20 in 2009, 25 + epics in 2012, 28 in 2013, 30 in 2015, and will be moved to 32 sometime soon), A LOT throughout its history. I think they should do the same for reaper mode.

Maybe add a 4th tree, with some neat reaper charges/enhancements that only shows up after you FILL the other 3 trees? Idk I'm not a smartypants, I just play the game.

Soon™
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Community Member

From a stream around the Epic Destiny Update, Cordovan and Severin commented on Reaper, especially in context with how to close the gap between new players and veterans. Current reaper system is abyssmally bad at making new people regular reaper players, as the process is slow when you join r1 parties during leveling, and the fastest way (taking a new player in an endgame r10 group) makes the player feel kinda useless.
    One possible idea to close the gap was to rehaul how reaper bonuses work. The example given was if there weren't trees but a straight progression with fixed benefits, the game would be able to scale the rest of the party by the player with the most points (like: everyone who is below 80% of the benefits are scaled to that). The current reaper trees can't do that.

Back to the question when: When the devs have figured out whether they really want to change the system and in case of yes, after they came to a conclusion that satisfies them.

So it'll take a while.
    Nothing in this game is essential, unless you are a power-gaming & unimaginative lemming who follows everyone else, without having any form of creativity or original thought rolling around your brainpain...

Reaper trees already add too much hp. They should very definitely not add even more hp.

Instead add 1 spell point per reaper point above 156 with no cap.

Problem solved.
    Member of Spellswords on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by donblas View Post

I agree with this. Having more reaper points should serve 2 things:

1) Braging rights
    2) Cosmetics
    3) Maybe a Leaderboard per server with the character with more points?

There is no need for more power the more points you have.

Reaper was made for a challenge, getting rewards that make it less of a challenge is counter productive to the idea of the difficulty.
    The better chances of better loot should be enough to improve your character.
    Kasik ~Rogue~ Fui ~ Barb ~ Emmeryl ~ Clr ~ Hilcias ~ Sorc ~
    Cool kids play on Mabar!