Community Manager

Default Downtime Notice: Wednesday, March 16th 9:00 AM Eastern (-5 GMT)

The DDO game worlds will be unavailable due to maintenance on Wednesday, March 16th starting at 9:00 AM Eastern (-4 GMT). The downtime is expected to last for about an hour and a half.
    Last edited by Cordovan; 03-16-2022 at 10:30 AM.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The DDO game worlds will be unavailable due to maintenance on Wednesday, March 16th starting at 9:00 AM Eastern (-5 GMT). The downtime is expected to last for about an hour and a half.
    Eastern is currently -4 GMT, not -5

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robmlclm1 View Post
    They're just wasting daylight all over in England

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Robmlclm1 View Post
    Sorry, but this is not correct. We are observing Eastern Standard Time in the Eastern time zone, and EST is ALWAYS GMT-5. The issue you are experiencing is that Europe will not be making the change for a few weeks yet, for the time being we are four/five rather than five/six hours apart in general, since in your local time zone you are still observing Daylight Saving Time.
    Join us on Twitch!

Community Member

Sorry, but this is not correct. We are observing Eastern Standard Time in the Eastern time zone, and EST is ALWAYS GMT-5. The issue you are experiencing is that Europe will not be making the change for a few weeks yet, for the time being we are four/five rather than five/six hours apart in general, since in your local time zone you are still observing Daylight Saving Time.
    That's right, except I think you got the Standard and Daylight terms switched. Unless I'm mistaken, Daylight Saving Time is what you (and me...I'm in Pacific time though) are currently observing when our clocks went forward this past weekend. Standard time was what we were on until they went forward, and what most of Europe is still on I guess.

Time Bandit
    ex DDO Players Council

No, we are not in our equivalents of Daylight Saving Time yet, but we will be in 10 days. You guys are in your DST shift, and we in Europe are not. And you are not currently in Eastern Standard Time.

EST is GMT-5, but Massachusetts is currently in EDT, not EST. EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) is GMT-4. The proper abbreviation for the time zone generally is ET (Eastern Time) which is GMT-5, or rather UTC-5.

In Summer, the UK uses BST (British Summer Timer) rather than GMT, and BST is GMT+1. This is the UK equivalent to DST.

So yes -- you guys are currently in GMT-4.

What happens in ten days time is that you guys will continue at GMT-4, the UK goes to GMT+1, and so it will be back to the usual 5 hour clock difference between the UK and Massachusetts.

But that is a -5 hours clock difference between UK and Massachusetts time, not GMT-5. If you like, you'll be at BST-5.

Daylight Savings Time in most parts of the US started on Sunday, March 13th.

Boston is, in fact, no longer on Eastern Standard Time. They are on Eastern Daylight Time.

The EDT is currently -4.00 GMT. In less than two weeks when Britain goes to their Daylight savings time, the folks in the EDT timezone will be 5 hours behind London's time again.

EDIT: See Natashaelle's post above.
    Last edited by Arkat; 03-15-2022 at 10:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Community Member

Natashaelle is correct.

Which leaves us wondering whether today's downtime starts at 2pm UK time (as it usually does) or at 1pm UK time (because US clocks have gone forward, but UK ones haven't yet).

I assume the latter, but we shall see.

Actualy you are wrong we are still on GMT and the time difference is 4 hours now. When we change to BST (British summer time) we will be back to a 5 hour time difference. If you do need to check it you PC clock will allow you to have 3 time zones. Mine has UK, eastern and pacific set which at the time of this post is 10:13/06:13 and 03:13
    Ozzgood 51, 51, 27, 42, 115. Ozzbad 51, 51, 27, 42, 100. Ozzugly 45, 51, 27, 42, 145. EvilOzz 51, 51, 27, 42, 135. Ozzistheworst 39, 51, 16, 18, 75. Ozzthegreat 5, 5, 2, 0, 15. and Alts on Khyber
    Past Lives: Heroic, Epic, Iconic, Racial., Reaper Points,

Community Member

Who freaking cares ?

It's like you are all going out of your way to get all ****y over a technicality, the servers are going down for a bit of time.

Then they will be back up.

Is it too political to hope the current bill passes eliminating this whole silly Standard/Savings thing?
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Downtime: 2022-03-16T13:00:00Z ;-)

Community Member

Default Thread is to educational

This is great a Time Zone Throw down! It was far more educational than someone's play time interruption complaints. I used to look to see how many people had threatened lawsuits, wanted compensation, or were going to quit playing the game (those were the best). I rarely if ever post and tend to just sit back and laugh at some of the nonsense. See ya back in game shortly on MY TIME (DDOT-1.5)

Community Member

I thought it was all the fault of Scottish farmers lol.

I wish they would split it and keep the time the same the whole year round

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Fnordian View Post
    That's right, except I think you got the Standard and Daylight terms switched. Unless I'm mistaken, Daylight Saving Time is what you (and me...I'm in Pacific time though) are currently observing when our clocks went forward this past weekend. Standard time was what we were on until they went forward, and what most of Europe is still on I guess.
    Right I did get the two switched.
    Join us on Twitch!

Community Manager

The game worlds have reopened.
    Join us on Twitch!

Time Bandit
    ex DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    Is it too political to hope the current bill passes eliminating this whole silly Standard/Savings thing?
    Nope -- Europe was supposed to do the same thing a couple of years ago, and then covid happened ...

I really wish they would stop messing about with the clocks and just them alone it would be so much easier.

Stoner81.

Community Member

The easiest way to save any confusion is to just add an extra clock on your PC so you can view what time eastern standard time is.

For Windows 10 go to your date and time settings, click add clocks for different time zones located on the top right-hand side and this will open a box for you to add (UTC-05:00) on the additional clocks tab.

How to set an extra time zone on your PC image.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q57...ew?usp=sharing