Community Member

Default Sound level fluctuates wildly

The playback of sound, more particularly the music fluctuates wildly from almost inaudible to so load I have to grab for the sound control and turn it off.

An idea why this happens or how to stop it?
    He left the name, at which the world grew pale.

Community Manager

I'd have to get more detail to maybe help more, but sometimes if your PC's sound settings are set particularly loud or on the fringe of being silent the granularity of control can become compressed. So, maybe check your general PC sound settings to go from the start of the audio chain through to the end and see if something is overly cranked up or perhaps - almost - turned silent. It may also be that you have something trying to control your audio for you in a way that is causing this; maybe it is trying to equalize gain or do noise cancellation and doing it poorly. Common culprits can be things like Skype, Zoom, Discord, OBS, xSplit, Teamspeak, etc., especially if they are trying to take priority of your audio in the background and you have their "special" audio features enabled.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

I keep loudness equalization turned on for my system to keep loud sounds from getting out of control. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disab...-in-windows-10

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    I'd have to get more detail to maybe help more, but sometimes if your PC's sound settings are set particularly loud or on the fringe of being silent the granularity of control can become compressed. So, maybe check your general PC sound settings to go from the start of the audio chain through to the end and see if something is overly cranked up or perhaps - almost - turned silent. It may also be that you have something trying to control your audio for you in a way that is causing this; maybe it is trying to equalize gain or do noise cancellation and doing it poorly. Common culprits can be things like Skype, Zoom, Discord, OBS, xSplit, Teamspeak, etc., especially if they are trying to take priority of your audio in the background and you have their "special" audio features enabled.
    For a concrete example, the music in Alcorin's Forge is at about the same volume as the fountain/waterfall the Fatespinner in Marketplace sits near used to be at. In particular it is extremely loud near the stairs, and not so bad near the doors back out to the Cogs.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by donblas View Post
    The playback of sound, more particularly the music fluctuates wildly from almost inaudible to so load I have to grab for the sound control and turn it off.

An idea why this happens or how to stop it?

Try going into your windows sound settings and making sure your communication attenuation is set to do nothing:

Staggering
    Pale Fox

I like to use EarTrumpet.app

There is big inconsistency in sound levels in game itself.
    In VoN 5 the audio feedback of reaching trap bonus tiers (Neutralization / Ingenious) is much louder than it is in most of the quests. This can be extremely unpleasant at raid nights.

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by MIvan View Post
    There is big inconsistency in sound levels in game itself.
    In VoN 5 the audio feedback of reaching trap bonus tiers (Neutralization / Ingenious) is much louder than it is in most of the quests. This can be extremely unpleasant at raid nights.
    When you run into extreme cases of this please consider filling out a bug report. Typically this is being caused by an audio file being triggered twice simultaneously, which has the effect of doubling its output, and needs to be corrected on a case by case basis.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

When you run into extreme cases of this please consider filling out a bug report. Typically this is being caused by an audio file being triggered twice simultaneously, which has the effect of doubling its output, and needs to be corrected on a case by case basis.
    Does this mean the in-game bug report feature is moderately functional now? I had given up on filing bug reports when the in-game tool stopped working.

Community Member

If we're talking about sound effects, can you please do something about rats. The slider is already at 2 of 100 but they are just aggravatingly loud. I often turn that slider down to 0 when I run wheloon because of the rats. They make me want to turn off sound effects completely.