Community Member

Default Spellsword Dice not adding up.

So my friend noticed this first a few lives ago when he played an EK and now that I'm using one I noticed a bit of a discrepancy as well. His initial thoughts were that his spell dice didn't upgrade to d12s from d10s when he took his capstone. In mid epics when we finally did something not on reaper I noticed my imbue damage wasn't quite adding up to what it should be, so I tested it.

I went into the cogs and started recording as many of my imbue damage hits as I could. I should have 10 spellsword dice (capstone plus draconic inc bonuses) at d12 each, witrh an expected average of 65 before spellpower.

At 547-567 spellpower (variable because force's point adds up to 20) I averaged 355 damage per spellsword imbue hit. If I split the difference on spellpower and just call it 557, that brings my average raw dice hit from imbue to 54 damage (355/6.57), well short of the expected 65. If I was dealing 65 from the base dice my average would be almost 20% higher at 427 damage per hit. This is why I noticed the discrepancy, my highest imbue hits were lower than my expected average. Indeed even in testing my highest recorded hit was 420 damage, still below my expected average of 427. Obviously this is what set off red flags, if you always hit below your expected average and never above, then that isn't your average.

If my 10 spell dice were indeed d10s my expected base imbue damage would be 55, meaning my friend may indeed be correct in assuming the bump from d10s to d12s doesn't actually work. Another possibility that would also be fairly close numerically is that the added dice from draconic inc are only d6s, bringing the total to 7d12+3d6 or an average of 56.
    Last edited by Fauxknight; 03-03-2022 at 09:26 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxknight View Post
    So my friend noticed this first a few lives ago when he played an EK and now that I'm using one I noticed a bit of a discrepancy as well. His initial thoughts were that his spell dice didn't upgrade to d12s from d10s when he took his capstone. In mid epics when we finally did something not on reaper I noticed my imbue damage wasn't quite adding up to what it should be, so I tested it.

I went into the cogs and started recording as many of my imbue damage hits as I could. I should have 10 spellsword dice (capstone plus draconic inc bonuses) at d12 each, witrh an expected average of 65 before spellpower.

At 547-567 spellpower (variable because force's point adds up to 20) I averaged 355 damage per spellsword imbue hit. If I split the difference on spellpower and just call it 557, that brings my average raw dice hit from imbue to 54 damage (355/6.57), well short of the expected 65. If I was dealing 65 from the base dice my average would be almost 20% higher at 427 damage per hit. This is why I noticed the discrepancy, my highest imbue hits were lower than my expected average. Indeed even in testing my highest recorded hit was 420 damage, still below my expected average of 427. Obviously this is what set off red flags, if you always hit below your expected average and never above, then that isn't your average.

If my 10 spell dice were indeed d10s my expected base imbue damage would be 55, meaning my friend may indeed be correct in assuming the bump from d10s to d12s doesn't actually work. Another possibility that would also be fairly close numerically is that the added dice from draconic inc are only d6s, bringing the total to 7d12+3d6 or an average of 56.
    when I played around with it, I respected the destiny so I was just checking the base eldritch knight itself and my average was off significantly just from the base dice. even without the draconic extra dice there is an issue. as I was working with smaller values I had concluded that either the dice didn't change to d12s or that the extra die wasn't being added as the discrpentcy was around 7.
    based on your tests it sounds like the dice switching to d12s is probably the issue. hopefully a dev reads this and checks the numbers to fix it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathmaster35 View Post
    when I played around with it, I respected the destiny so I was just checking the base eldritch knight itself and my average was off significantly just from the base dice. even without the draconic extra dice there is an issue. as I was working with smaller values I had concluded that either the dice didn't change to d12s or that the extra die wasn't being added as the discrpentcy was around 7.
    based on your tests it sounds like the dice switching to d12s is probably the issue. hopefully a dev reads this and checks the numbers to fix it.
    That is rather depressing. I just started a new EK life and was going to take 1 Art/19 Wiz to use repeaters. (Which, of course, work really well with SpellSword)

But then I decided to go 20 Wiz for the capstone, and now I find that half the capstone is missing, and I have given up two feat slots for Heavy Repeater profiency and Rapid Reload
    Not to mention having to buy bagloads of bolts until I get the Flame Arrow spell.
    Last edited by Zarkarion; 03-03-2022 at 10:04 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zarkarion View Post
    That is rather depressing. I just started a new EK life and was going to take 1 Art/19 Wiz to use repeaters. (Which, of course, work really well with SpellSword)

But then I decided to go 20 Wiz for the capstone, and now I find that half the capstone is missing, and I have given up two feat slots for Heavy Repeater profiency and Rapid Reload
    Not to mention having to buy bagloads of bolts until I get the Flame Arrow spell.
    I would think think it would be an easy fix if there was an easy way to get the lich to check it she tends to be able to fix small issues very fast when she isn't swamped working on other stuff

Default eldritch and pact but no spellsword?

We have Eldritch Blast dice, and Pact dice, in the character sheet plus tab, but no spellsword dice? Arcane arrow dice, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxknight View Post
    Another possibility that would also be fairly close numerically is that the added dice from draconic inc are only d6s, bringing the total to 7d12+3d6 or an average of 56.
    I suspect that this is the most likely explanation

Have you tried with and without the Draconic bonus die?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by tapster View Post
    I suspect that this is the most likely explanation

Have you tried with and without the Draconic bonus die?
    Deathmaster did.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathmaster35 View Post

Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Bump
    https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...-1-(4-13-4-15)
    Eldritch Knight's elemental damage dice should now more reliably add up

Missed that one. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.