Community Member

Default Wolf Enhancements

So, my new druid just hit level 2. While I was at the trainer, I asked to train my pet, but I'm confused. The only choice on the first dialog is "Change my Pet's Threat Modifier." If I choose that, I see this:

That doesn't really look like any of the options on the wiki Wolf enhancements. The options sort of look like the Wolf Combat Enhancements, but not quite. I've tried selecting each of the options and going back in to see if it unlocks anything more, but I just get the same choices.

Assuming someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, any advice on what enhancements to choose for a caster druid (at least for this character)? The wiki just has the list of enhancements with no guidance.

Thanks!

Community Member

heya, in Update 53 pets were changed
    most of the previous enhancements are now automatically granted to your pet.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Update_53_R...s#Enhancements

Almost all existing enhancements for Artificer Iron Defender and Druid Wolf pets are now granted automatically as those pets go up in level. (The ones that are not automatically granted are specifically called out below, all other existing ones are). The level they gain them at is the same as the previous Minimum Level for those Enhancements.
    For Iron Defender pets, Alignment enhancements are not automatically granted, as they are mutually exclusive. You can now talk to any Artificer trainer to select your Pet's Alignment, which is now displayed as an effect on your pet. Your selections remain until changed or until you Reincarnate. The Chaotic selection continues to provide the Breaker of Boxes behavior.
    For both Iron Defender and Wolf pets, Threat Generation/Reduction enhancements are not automatically granted, as they are mutually exclusive. You can now talk to any Artificer or Druid trainer (depending on your pet) to select -40% Threat from Melee Attacks, +0% Threat from Melee Attacks, or +100% Threat from Melee Attacks. Your selections remain until changed or until you Reincarnate, and stack with all other sources of Increased or Reduced Melee Threat.
    The Bluff and Intimidate active abilities have been removed from Iron Defender and Wolf pets for the time being. We plan on returning these in a future update.
    Artificer Iron Defender Pets, Druid Wolf Pets, and Pale Master's Skeleton Pet now all have a baseline of 100% Fortification at all levels. This stacks with Gear and any Feats or Enhancements they have.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    You can now talk to any Artificer or Druid trainer (depending on your pet) to select -40% Threat from Melee Attacks, +0% Threat from Melee Attacks, or +100% Threat from Melee Attacks. Your selections remain until changed or until you Reincarnate, and stack with all other sources of Increased or Reduced Melee Threat.
    I discovered you can change their threat level as often as you want. I don't know if that's useful, but given the somewhat useful buffs some of the new Destinies offer, does managing threat level, depending on the quest, offer a small but potentially useful new ability? Probably not, but I'm not a pet expert...
    "The imagination is not … the faculty for forming images of reality; it is the faculty for forming images which go beyond reality..." - Gaston Bachelard

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SocratesBastardSon View Post
    I discovered you can change their threat level as often as you want. I don't know if that's useful, but given the somewhat useful buffs some of the new Destinies offer, does managing threat level, depending on the quest, offer a small but potentially useful new ability? Probably not, but I'm not a pet expert...
    Maybe when you're with a group that has a real tank you lower the threat, but when you're solo you raise it? :shrug:

Actually, that raises the question of how tough is the wolf companion and how much tougher can you make one? Can it actually tank when you're solo, or is just more of a distraction? You can add armor and maybe eventually a collar, and take Augment Summoning, but is that enough to make a difference? (I'm thinking more for a caster druid since I'm guessing a melee druid would have less need for the wolf.)

Community Member

I was mildly pleased with my Arti's dog when I took Natural Shielding, and for fun, tried out the Summoning buff from Magister. It was much more survivable, even in low reaper. Once you get into higher reaper difficulties or raid end fights it's utterly useless of course.
    "The imagination is not … the faculty for forming images of reality; it is the faculty for forming images which go beyond reality..." - Gaston Bachelard

Community Member Peter_Principle's Avatar

Wolf tanking is more a spectrum disorder rather than a unitary affliction, as it were. Even on R10 they can serve a use, because the one hit that kills your dog is a hit that didn't kill you. Reduce the difficulty (enough) and increase the hits your pet can take. I was running RL Epic R3 last night, and SparkyButtons was taking a few hits before dying while wearing RL pet gear. I don't think you can do much to improve on them, but I haven't really gone hard in a pet buffing direction. I notice dog lasts longer when I call up all my gold seal hirelings to spread the pain, put everyone on angry mode and then every time I heal myself I follow that up immediately with a mass regen.
    FYI, when I summon an earth elemental, it's not a "he," it's a "she." And her name is Pebbles.