Default Attempting to restore UI functionality

So, for a long time I had my keymapping set up so that I could:
    1) Hard target an item (like a lever)
    2) Walk away from that item, and go pick up an item on the ground.
    3) Not lose the lever as a hard target.

Being able to park a hireling at a lever while I go do something else while keeping the lever targeted is very useful. I used to be able to do this. But now I can't. Whenever I try and pick up something using either a mouse button or key command the ground item becomes targeted briefly and I lose the lever targeting.

Anyone still able to do this and is able to share what their command settings are? There's the whole DDO class/MMO class interact, action interact, interact, interact/steer, etc and they all do very slightly different things. I've tried a bunch of combinations without luck.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Try disabling auto-targeting (default key is 'g'). This will allow you to target an item/lever/etc and still interact with other things without losing focus on the aforementioned item/lever/etc.
    Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.