Community Member TheDarkTraveler's Avatar

Default Enchantment Resistance - What does it do exactly?

Howdy folks. I'm crafting some new gear for my main and I ran across a "Enchantment Resistance" shard. I'm familiar with the other forms of resistance along with spell resistance. I haven't found any detailed info on this so I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on what Enchantment does resistance exactly. I'm guessing resistance to enchantment spells specifically but doesn't spell resistance cover that in general already?

Thanks and be well.
    “A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.” ~ Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkTraveler View Post
    "Enchantment Resistance" but doesn't spell resistance cover that in general already?

Thanks and be well.
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Spell_Resistance

https://ddowiki.com/page/Elven_Enchantment_Resistance

Gives a bonus to your saving throws against Enchantment spells.

spell resistance is for all spells : enchantment resistance is for just enchantment spells
    it doesn't stack with spell resistance the highest applies.
    if you have +2 spell resistance item and then put on a +1 enchantment resistance it would do nothing.
    but if it were +3 it would boost enchantment resistance +1.

spell resistance is the shield before will save for non damaging mental control spells.
    Last edited by archest; 01-10-2022 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by archest View Post
    spell resistance is for all spells : enchantment resistance is for just enchantment spells
    if you have +2 spell resistance item and then put on a +1 enchantment resistance it would do nothing.

spell resistance is the shield before will save for non damaging mental control spells.
    This is incorrect. Enchantment resistance items provide a resistance bonus to saving throws against enchantments (will save). This does not stack with other resistance items.

Spell resistance is totally separate from this, but they are correct that spell resistance applies before the will save that this bonus will help with.

Quote Originally Posted by archest View Post

You are kind of wrong. Spell resistance IS NOT for all spell. Only spells that use spell penetration. Enchantment resistance is a save bonus. Spell resistance is something entirely different. If you have a +2 spell resistance Item and put on a +1 enchantment resistance item what happens is your spell resistance goes up. If the spell has a spell pen check it would go against your spell resistance. If it gets through you would still get your +1 to save if it is an enchantment spell.

Spell Resistance is particularly useful against spells and abilities which don't offer a saving throw, such as gaze of umber hulks or many beholder ray attacks.
    Monster spell penetration roll is usually 1d20 + CR Therefore, having SR above monster CR+20 should protect you against all spells and effects with SR check.

Elven Enchantment Resistance I: Grants a +1 bonus on saving throws against enchantments.

That is completely different than spell resistance

https://ddowiki.com/page/Spell_Resistance

Spell Resistance and Saving throws are separate mechanics. A spell that gets past Spell Resistance may still be saved against.

Community Member TheDarkTraveler's Avatar

Thanks for the info and clarification folks. Sounds like it's a bit of extra "insurance" stacked on will saves for enchantment spells specifically. I have an extra slot in my gear with nothing else to craft so I'll give it a shot. Cheers.
    “A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.” ~ Douglas Adams

so its not a +1 save against- spell penitration its a +1 save against the enchantment spell (will save) if spell penitration fails.
    got it