Community Member

Default 2nd life Aasimar FVS/Ranger?

Hi. My idea is: Aasimar Scourge, mace wielder (currently have heroic and epic versions of beacon of day/night). Good alignment. I have a few tomes - Wisdom being highest. Class splits:
    a) 12 Ranger (GTWF, Evasion) /8 FVS (Deity weapon perk, Knowledge of Battle, Stout of heart). Dual wield OR....
    b) 11 FVS (same as above+more spells) / 9 Ranger (ITWF, Evasion) OR....
    c) 20 FVS (full Deity benefits, spells energy/damage reduction). I'd probably go Medium armor w/shield, try to get me a Phosphur OR perhaps try a Silvanus maul build

I solo or play in small party. My playing style is quick range attack and move in for the kill. I buff at the beginning and prefer to only deal with a few spells during combat (I suck at too many buttons). As you can imagine, Warlock, Barb and Paladin have been my gotos (and occasionally Ranger). I understand there are a ton of variables with these class/race combos (with never enough Enhancement points to go around). Hoping to get some pros/cons and recommendation.
    Last life I was Aasimar Scourge Tempest w/Falconry - very fun. Damage seemed decent. I had to constantly heal/be healed (maybe due to 1st life and low PRR/light armor?). Solo was difficult. Evasion was great though. Greater Scourge Weapons/Destroyer of the Dead bonuses seemed to work.

Thank you
    Last edited by Ravenbrew; 12-30-2021 at 02:01 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenbrew View Post
    a) 12 Ranger (GTWF, Evasion) /8 FVS (Deity weapon perk, Knowledge of Battle, Stout of heart). Dual wield
    Knowledge of Battle only works if at least half of your class levels are Favored Soul. So it won't do this build any good.

Since you already have Falconry tree, you should consider the ol' Tempest Warpriest combo: WIS-based ranger 6 / cleric 14 (War domain for Holy Sword). Ideally you want at least 84 APs: 40 Tempest (tier-5s) / 17 Scourge (Destroyer of the Dead) / 27 Falconry (No Mercy + Deadly Instinct + Expose Weakness).
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenbrew View Post
    Hi. My idea is: Aasimar Scourge, mace wielder (currently have heroic and epic versions of beacon of day/night). Good alignment. I have a few tomes - Wisdom being highest. Class splits:
    a) 12 Ranger (GTWF, Evasion) /8 FVS (Deity weapon perk, Knowledge of Battle, Stout of heart). Dual wield OR....
    b) 11 FVS (same as above+more spells) / 9 Ranger (ITWF, Evasion) OR....
    c) 20 FVS (full Deity benefits, spells energy/damage reduction). I'd probably go Medium armor w/shield, try to get me a Phosphur OR perhaps try a Silvanus maul build
    Pure FvS caster is very strong at the moment (and you don't need many buttons as you use only a few spells). I am running a fun build on Hardcore (no tomes) Aasimar 18 Druid 1 FvS 1 Rogue (STR14 DEX8 CON14 INT16 WIS18 CHA8) and taking Fallen for +1 STR and +2 tactical DCs... INT16 allows you to take DD, Search, Spot and Open Lock. I am playing it as a caster (tier 5 in Season's Herald) with tier 4 into Nature's Protector and maxing WIS... a tanky caster with bear cc; you could play it differently by going tier 5 into NP. It's fun, it's durable, it self heals, it traps, its good enough for solo as long as you use dire bear and innate attacks and cc to supplement your meagre spell points pool. It ain't an end game build.
    Last edited by Gnominal_Aphasia; 12-31-2021 at 07:55 AM.