Community Member

Default lil Handaxe insect for Phloat

Hello all! This is a revision of my current life I am quite enjoying lately. It is similar to Strimtom's "Supercrit" handaxe build (link at the bottom of post), but uses a backbone of fighter for two reasons. Firstly, I am running my fighter PL for heroic completionist. Secondly, Power Surge and Opportunity Attack from Kensei are quite powerful.

Strength-based Half-Orc Handaxe build: (80 AP + 2 Racial AP)

33 AP in Frenzied Bezerker for Focused Wrath and Hurting: Raging Blows
    23 AP in Kensei for Power Surge and Opportunity attack
    11 AP in Swashbucker for Swashbuckling and Dashing Scoundrel
    8 AP in Occult Slayer for Guarding Bond and Extended Rage
    7 AP in Half-Orc for +1 STR, +1 to hit/dmg, Orcish Rage

Here are the feats I am sure are useful for levelling and in epics/endgame:

-SWF line (all 3 in heroics plus Perfect in epics)
    -Precision
    -Improved Ccritical: Slashing
    -The smattering of dps feats in U51 (I have not familiarized myself enough yet to remember names)

Here is my inquiry: do I need the cleave feats thus power attack in epics, or are there enough AoE abilities to justify dropping them for other feats? I would assume going deep into Legendary Dreadnaught is ideal, with leftovers in Fury for some hit points, though I have not spent long at endgame since U51 went live.

I am currently level 14, and have been shredding packs of mobs using Cleave, Greater Cleave, and Supreme Cleave.

I have the +5 Lesser Heart we got from the anniversary and can use it to adjust. I'm open to any changes within the 2 constraints I laid out in the start. Thank you in advance for your brain!

Quote Originally Posted by Agr33n3 View Post

Strength-based Half-Orc Handaxe build: (80 AP + 2 Racial AP)

33 AP in Frenzied Bezerker for Focused Wrath and Hurting: Raging Blows
    8 AP in Occult Slayer for Guarding Bond and Extended Rage
    7 AP in Half-Orc for +1 STR, +1 to hit/dmg, Orcish Rage

Here are the feats I am sure are useful for levelling and in epics/endgame:

-Precision
    you have to decide whether you are going to rage or not. if you are (as from the raging blows, extended range, etc. you cannot use both precision and rage at the same time

Could you do more fighter?
    Whirlwind on top of your other cleave feats would turn you into a blender.
    Not sure what your level split is....but insane axe murderer sounds fun.
    Maybe go pure fighter halfling with feats for throwing axes on top..go for the "juggler"
    Every knee would tremble before my miniature lord.
    With all the cleavage...you would really just need twf first tier to be honest...the chain does not give melee power. But certainly you would rather not take a penalty.
    Might as well hoola with Hatchets for more W and toss them at distance.
    Sounds like a winner to me...a splitter and a spitter. A thrower with unusual melee capability.
    I am sure your Pugs would get a thrill from it...
    I certainly would be entertained, more so when the casters and ranged drop their jaws as you throw your axes through lines of enemies after watching you pummel your way through mobs.

Halflings are like leprechauns these days...
    Being old school it would be nostalgic of those days when Eberron looked more like Oz
    And you would be a little tornado in your own right.

Pure fighter definitely has the feats for this. Including IPS. 17 feats is it?
    Not counting epic in levels where your choices revolve primarily around boring spellcasting...
    And let's be honest... Legendary Dreadnaught and Shiradi together both being very viable in the same build other than ranger is completely awesome.

Admit it... there's a lot of action to be had in a build such as this.
    Last edited by Enderoc; 12-29-2021 at 02:46 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by painkiller3 View Post
    you have to decide whether you are going to rage or not. if you are (as from the raging blows, extended range, etc. you cannot use both precision and rage at the same time
    I definitely want to rage, given that I am going T5 of FB for the crit multi. I pick up the extra STR while raging, so precision is off the table.

The only issue I am encountering now (at level 26 in Legendary Dreadnaught and Unyielding Sentinel) is hit chance, though this is likely due to my nearly all heroic gear and lack of most last Licea (only 8 heroic and 2 iconic), as well as running R1 before I get any sort of gearing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enderoc View Post
    Could you do more fighter?
    Whirlwind on top of your other cleave feats would turn you into a blender.
    Not sure what your level split is....but insane axe murderer sounds fun.
    Maybe go pure fighter halfling with feats for throwing axes on top..go for the "juggler"
    Every knee would tremble before my miniature lord.
    With all the cleavage...you would really just need twf first tier to be honest...the chain does not give melee power. But certainly you would rather not take a penalty.
    Might as well hoola with Hatchets for more W and toss them at distance.
    Sounds like a winner to me...a splitter and a spitter. A thrower with unusual melee capability.
    I am sure your Pugs would get a thrill from it...
    I certainly would be entertained, more so when the casters and ranged drop their jaws as you throw your axes through lines of enemies after watching you pummel your way through mobs.

Halflings are like leprechauns these days...
    Being old school it would be nostalgic of those days when Eberron looked more like Oz
    And you would be a little tornado in your own right.

Pure fighter definitely has the feats for this. Including IPS. 17 feats is it?
    Not counting epic in levels where your choices revolve primarily around boring spellcasting...
    And let's be honest... Legendary Dreadnaught and Shiradi together both being very viable in the same build other than ranger is completely awesome.

Admit it... there's a lot of action to be had in a build such as this.

Whirlwind is certainly an option, though you would need to sacrifice a few Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization feats to get there, and your payout is not that great.

For AoE on heroics, I recommend taking Cleave and Great Cleave (thus Power Attack as well; whether you turn this on is dependent on your hit chance while questing), Supreme Cleave from Frenzied Bezerker, and En Pointe from Swashbuckler.

Any more fighter levels fundamentally changes the way the build is set up. You would need to either drop T5 in Frenzied and lose +1 multi comparatively to Kensei, and probably spend few if any points in FB at that point. Alternatively, you would need to drop Swashbuckling, losing +3 Crit range comparatively to Kensei. That’s a TON OF LOSS OF DPS.

I use a method of hit-count to determine the overall strength of a setup based on critical profile. If you hit the target, this counts as 1. For example, a Greataxe in the hands of a lvl 1 fighter has a profile of 2-19x1 and 20x3, with a hit-count die of 22.

If you went with the OP build, your critical profile at level cap is 2-14x1, 15-18x5 and 19-20x7 with a hit-count die of 47.

If you go pure fighter, your critical profile at level cap is 2-16x1, 17-18x3 and 19-20x5 with a hit-count die of 31.

(Assuming an extra multi on 19-20 from each of Perfect SWF and LD's Overpower).

That is not to say that the builds you mentioned would not be fun, thrilling, or top-tier dps. I just prefer the flavor of mashing a few classes together and getting a little strong .

I will mention that Strimtom’s original build uses a backbone of Shadar-Kai to get CHAINSSSS for AoE. It is a supremely better build and the only reason I don’t use his build layout is I…. Don’t have SDK.
    Last edited by Agr33n3; 01-04-2022 at 08:03 PM.