Community Member

Default Looking for help with a newbie blaster caster sorcerer for solo.

Hi, so as title stated I am looking for build help. I am not entirely new to the game but I am still quite new compared to most here.

I'm currently looking to switch to a more caster oriented build for sorcerer than Fire-Savant/Eldritch-Knight which currently feels like the most effective thing to do is maybe cast a SLA burning hands then slap a lot even on normal difficulty.

I'm currently level 6 farming some caster gear up in the feywild, though admittedly all I've gotten is the queen's scepter from crafting currently.

I have 32 point builds unlocked, I have tiefling, I do not have past lives, let alone completionist.

Thus I am looking for any help I can get on making a caster work for solo stuff that isn't just picking up EK and a greatsword, which really doesn't feel like a caster at that point.

So, anyone got some helpful tips or up to date builds even?

What's wrong with doing it the good old fire sorc way?
    Metamagic Feats: Maximize, Empower, Quicken, Heighten.
    Items: charisma, wizardry, fire spellpower, fire spell lore.

some low-level items you might be interested in:
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Tattered_Gloves
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Sceptre_of_Combustion
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Nicked_Orb
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Runic_Trinket

Spend AP in Fire Savant.
    Burning Hands SLA, Scorch SLA, Scorch spell, Scorching Ray spell.

The key trick is spell points management.
    For each spell and SLA pulled to your quick bar, right click and choose which metamagics to apply.
    metamagic is free for SLAs, so enable everything for SLAs.
    for spells, choose sparingly.

At level 12 grab Fireball SLA and blast whole rooms with it.

Quote Originally Posted by drane92 View Post
    Hi, so as title stated I am looking for build help. I am not entirely new to the game but I am still quite new compared to most here.

I'm currently looking to switch to a more caster oriented build for sorcerer than Fire-Savant/Eldritch-Knight which currently feels like the most effective thing to do is maybe cast a SLA burning hands then slap a lot even on normal difficulty.

I'm currently level 6 farming some caster gear up in the feywild, though admittedly all I've gotten is the queen's scepter from crafting currently.

I have 32 point builds unlocked, I have tiefling, I do not have past lives, let alone completionist.

Thus I am looking for any help I can get on making a caster work for solo stuff that isn't just picking up EK and a greatsword, which really doesn't feel like a caster at that point.

The most up to date build is fire/EK. The problem for you is that you're putting points into EK a bit early. You should be looking to spend probably 20-30 of the first AP you get towards fire savant. Then put points into tiefling for more fire spell power. You shouldn't have many points into EK until you get past level 10 or so, then you can start to focus on it. Keep in mind you want to have 30 points spent in fire savant by level 12 to unlock immunity bypass.

You should also semi-specialize into non-fire (not savant, just pick up some good non-fire spells) for mobs that are immune to fire. I tend to take acid blast (level 3 spell) after I have fireball for this reason. You can also take ball lightning (level 5 spell) and chain lightning (level 6 spell). But yes, until you reach level 6 for fireball, your go-to spells should be burning hands SLA, Sonic blast (level 1 spell), and scorch (not scorching ray) (level 2 spell).

Quote Originally Posted by drane92 View Post
    Did you ignore the thread that was on top when you posted this one? The thread that has an almost identical title to your own? The one that answers the same questions you're asking?

If so, here it is:

o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6481296

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Did you ignore the thread that was on top when you posted this one? The thread that has an almost identical title to your own? The one that answers the same questions you're asking?

If so, here it is:

o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6481296
    OP is a newbie, the thread is for a returning player.
    OP wants a blaster, the thread is about a caster.
    OP needs help, the thread is asking for advice.
    Totaly different.

If you don't have racial past lives, don't feel like you have to go tiefling. Human, Aasimar, Dragonborn, Tiefling, and (to a lesser extent, especially if you don't have 32 point builds) Drow are all good choices for a first-life character. I would probably wind up going Human for the extra feat.

Especially with heroic levels, fire suffers a bit in comparison to acid, electric, or cold due to enemy immunities. I find going Electric and Fire instead the strongest for leveling, going air savant primarily for the advantages it provides (permanent FF, wind dance, and eventually knockdown immunity). This lets you rely on Sonic Blast and Fireball at lower levels, then at higher levels you get access to Ball Lightning, Chain Lightning, and Delayed Blast Fireball to carry you. Try to keep charisma, constitution, elec/fire spell power and crit chance high.

If you have access to Falconry, 23 points in Falconry is really strong for epics, but not as much for heroics (your best ways to utilize helpless damage require Mass Hold (level 19) and Burst of Glacial Wrath (level 24), so not great at heroics); however, Falconry also gets you access to sprint boost, which can be a force multiplier for questing quickly.

Getting Deflect Arrows by level 14ish from EK or Vistani (I like to have it by Wiz King specifically for the levers), alongside maintaining displacement and blur, goes a long way towards keeping yourself alive. Try to keep dodge statted on your character as well, dodge is a huge survivability booster.

A bit of a sad thing about casters is that they get a LOT of strength from gear (though this is true of many builds in DDO). For example, at level 15, if you're using full Sharn gear with Firestorm Conduit at level 15, you're going to be noticeably stronger than someone who random gear only. That said, there's few things in the game faster than a sorc spamming wind dance and sprint boost.

Everyone overlooks this at first but most people get burned by this at least once: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH SPELL COMPONENTS. I have burned through >1k level 3 spell components between level 6 and level 10 before while TRing my caster as a sorc.
    Pestilence: Wruntjunior ~ Dragonborn Fire Sorc (finished completionist project) // Wruntarrow ~ HW Archer // Youngwrunt ~ SWF SDK Bardbarian // Wruntstaff ~ Stick Melee (current tr project)

Quote Originally Posted by magaiti View Post
    Totaly different.
    And yet the advice, for a new player, is basically the same. (Was it you saying something about "all Greek"?)