Default I miss Trapfinding in Shadow Dancer

It was, in my opinion, a cool idea to add Trapfinding in the Shadow Dancer Epic Destiny but somehow it was removed after preview 2 or 3 on Lamannia and it didn't make it to U51.
    So I ask if you maybe can bring that back because it fits thematically perfectly to SD (in my opinion) much better than giving the Magical Training feat which is provided by so many EDs in Core 1 (a bit boring).
    One way could be that Core 1 provides once again Trap Finding and the Magical Training feat is instead provided with rank 3 in Well of Darkness.

Another thing is I would like that the Watchful Eye Feat also provides the ability to autodetect hidden doors (if you have the search and spot for it) and the tooltip should tell you that you not only need the search skill in order to make it work, you also need enough spot to detect the trap.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

I wrote about that problem implicitely in my largely ignored thread "Which Destiny fits best to my character ?" https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...o-my-character , in which I complained that my Trapper Acrobat Rogue doesn't have any fitting Destiny anymore.

As it is now, I have no Destiny into which any Trapper would fit in. Or at least I cannot see any.
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

Trapfinding didn't appear within U51 Shadowdancer: Preview 3, [Revision 2]... Simply because there was hardly any forum feedback supporting having Trapfinding within the Shadowdancer cores. Trapfinding probably only temporarily appeared there because of some personal reason - developer's decision - rather than for practical reasons.

Artificers and Rogues already possess the feat Trapfinding by Level 1. Plus it was repeatedly asked to be removed by several people whom regularly play rogues. Casting the spell 'Find Traps' is more than a sufficient situational solution for someone without the relevant technical training to also 'Disable' traps.

Given that both 'Nothing Is Hidden' and 'Mind Like Iron' would already require you to have Trapfinding (or Find Traps) to deal with Traps on Level 6 quests on Elite. That further reduces the relevance or need of 'Trapfinding' appearing in Shadowdancer.
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 06-28-2022 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Preview 3, Revision 2.

Err...what?

Tier1 of Shadowdancer gives +6 to Search, Spot, Disable, and Open Locks, other abilities give +9 reflex for standing in traps while disarming them, and Evasion or upgrading your evasion to Improved Evasion or upgrading your Improved Evasion to no-fail-on-a-1 for your Reflex save.

Fatesinger gives +3 to all skills

What else does a trap destiny need?

The idea of having Shadowdancer give actual Rogue/Arti trapfinding/disarming to non-Rogue/Artis is an interesting one, but it just wouldn't work since those characters would be missing 23 ranks of Disable Device.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chacka_DDO View Post
    Another thing is I would like that the Watchful Eye Feat also provides the ability to autodetect hidden doors (if you have the search and spot for it) and the tooltip should tell you that you not only need the search skill in order to make it work, you also need enough spot to detect the trap.
    It's pretty goofy that an epic feat doesn't work as good as the low tier class or racial enhancements from elf, inquisitive, etc with regards to finding secret doors. It also bothers me that the enhancements and this feat often seem to fail when you move in the vicinity of multiple trap boxes. Sometimes it only detects one and you have to move out of range and back in again to find the others. Or just actively search which defeats the purpose.

Obviously, I would like the Trapfinding feat so that a NON-rogue or artificer is able to detect traps.
    I always skill my spot skill on most builds but without Trapfiding I'm not allowed to detect traps past CR 6 quests on elite (unless I use a Trapfinding scroll).
    It is basically only a quality of life thing because it is already possible to cast that buff from a scroll but this buff lasts only 2 minutes so it is quite annoying to constantly recast it when you want it (if that buff would last 5 minutes like many level 1 buffs it would be already a big help).

And for those who cannot imagine how this can be helpful: this is especially handy if you do the trapper job with a hireling and it is good to have the ability to detect traps in some quests on the hardcore server.

I basically think there should be even ways to get the ability to disarm traps on any build but I know there are some players who strongly dislike that idea but at least detecting traps should be possible (remember it is basically already possible with a Trapfinding scroll).

As I suggested it already before the first previews of U51 there could be also other ways to get that feat, for example, you could have items or augments similar to the augments that provide the quick daw feat.
    Trapfinding could be of course also a feat available for any class to train it at your class trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by hit_fido View Post
    It's pretty goofy that an epic feat doesn't work as good as the low tier class or racial enhancements from elf, inquisitive, etc with regards to finding secret doors. It also bothers me that the enhancements and this feat often seem to fail when you move in the vicinity of multiple trap boxes. Sometimes it only detects one and you have to move out of range and back in again to find the others. Or just actively search which defeats the purpose.
    Yes, exactly I don't see a reason why an epic feat should not have the functionality of an enhancement you get even for free if you use the Inquisitive enhancement tree.

And yes the auto search is in general not well working if you have too many objects at once to detect it would be good if this could be fixed.

By the way, I also don't understand why dwarves don't get the ability to auto search hidden doors this should be the functionality of Dwarven Stonecunning and not this lame +2 bonus to the search skill, this or dwarfs should at least get that in the racial enhancement tree!

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Err...what?

Tier1 of Shadowdancer gives +6 to Search, Spot, Disable, and Open Locks, other abilities give +9 reflex for standing in traps while disarming them, and Evasion or upgrading your evasion to Improved Evasion or upgrading your Improved Evasion to no-fail-on-a-1 for your Reflex save.

Fatesinger gives +3 to all skills

What else does a trap destiny need?

The idea of having Shadowdancer give actual Rogue/Arti trapfinding/disarming to non-Rogue/Artis is an interesting one, but it just wouldn't work since those characters would be missing 23 ranks of Disable Device.
    -23 is certainly a significant hinderance, but I’m not sure it’s something that couldn’t be overcome. Most trap DCs aren’t that crazy.
    Sabbathiel/Sabathal/Sabath-1

Sarlona

I rallied against trapfinding because it's so pointless lol. As a bonus thrown in, sure what the hell, but when it's taking up part of a core that can be something actually useful it's just a waste.

The only time it might come up is if you're partying with a trapper that messed up and didn't put a lot of points in search, and you have a much better search. Then you could search and find the boxes for him to disable. But that seems highly unlikely/rare/pointless.
    Mains - Messam, Indalecio, Mozenrath, Quackerjack.

Quote Originally Posted by Seph1roth5 View Post
    I rallied against trapfinding because it's so pointless lol. As a bonus thrown in, sure what the hell, but when it's taking up part of a core that can be something actually useful it's just a waste.

The only time it might come up is if you're partying with a trapper that messed up and didn't put a lot of points in search, and you have a much better search. Then you could search and find the boxes for him to disable. But that seems highly unlikely/rare/pointless.
    there is indeed basically no problem to add the Trapfinding feat once again to the core 1 in Shadowdancer in addition to the Magical Training feat...

And I ask for it because I can make use of it, maybe you and many others cannot imagine that this can be useful for a non-traper but there are players like me who can.

Founder
    Guild Leader - Death Smile

for narrative and performance consistency Shadowdancer should, upon taking the destiny, grant the ability to find traps that 1st lvl rogues and artificers are granted - this being in line with Grandmaster of Flowers granting the martial arts combat style of monks to non- monks who inhabit the GMoF tree.

The Magical Training feat within Shadowdancer, wasn't asked for either by anyone publicly on the forums - to my knowledge - for all it matters. ;-)

Albeit people were open to the possibility of; automatically revealing Secret doors of a specific Search DC or True Seeing being in that Core.

Trapfinding, in the core; at best would be remotely thematic in weirdest of perverse fantasy senses. U51 Shadowdancer is an "Illusion and darkness" based theme and trap finding doesn't really fit. Whereas seeing through illusion or detecting secret doors would be apt.
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 11-17-2021 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Typo.