Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hero

Default U51 Aasimar Kensei THF for R10 XP

Complete write up is available in Google Docs because it is too long for the forum software to handle. It includes gear sets and a breakdown of all important stats.

I ran this build through ~400 R10 quests in U50, and have updated it for U51 after running 20 R10s. Lots of fun to play on a work-in-progress toon (still a dozen EPLs left to do, only 85 reaper points, barely a completionist, etc).
    Khyber: Ying-1, Kobeyashi, Nichevo-1 | 75 million Reaper XP

I like the build but I have a couple questions.

What are the benefits of running fighter over barbarian? Higher tactics and easier to hit the 100% doublestrike? One cut being good? Barbarians just seem better than fighters right now with just rage just providing so much strength and then also having improved uncanny dodge.

Also what are your thoughts on fury vs. LD. I tend to think fury is better for questing while LD is better for raiding.

Also does insightful combat mastery stack with the trance?
    Dragxon Dragbon Dreadclaw Frass
    Renowned

Hero

Revamped the EDs to drop LD for GMOF. Much happier with the Serenity mantle over Mantle of Fury.

Fighter vs. Barb: Fighter gives me the tools+DCs I want. Also, I prefer Light Armor for the 28% Dodge bonus (30% is feasible). With Meld gone, I prefer the higher Dodge.

Don't know about Insightful Combat Mastery. Currently leveling through epics to get the last few destiny points I need, so can't verify.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragbon View Post
    I like the build but I have a couple questions.

What are the benefits of running fighter over barbarian? Higher tactics and easier to hit the 100% doublestrike? One cut being good? Barbarians just seem better than fighters right now with just rage just providing so much strength and then also having improved uncanny dodge.

Also what are your thoughts on fury vs. LD. I tend to think fury is better for questing while LD is better for raiding.

Also does insightful combat mastery stack with the trance?
    Well you cant exactly invest in the kensai tree, nor call it a kensai fighter, unless you are a fighter. :P

Community Member

Why didn't you take the great leveler? Combined with adrenaline it sounds pretty good - AOE critical on everything in front of you. The cool down is kind of long.

I think the idea of a max dodge fighter is solid for U51 in comparison to barbarian.
    Last edited by Synthetic; 11-10-2021 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Found MDB in build breakdown

Hero

> it sounds pretty good

Play with it instead of doing a paper-based analysis and tell me you still think it's pretty good. I'd use pejoratives to describe how unhappy I am with it if I wouldn't get a forum ban.

Community Member PrinceOfAsphodel's Avatar

Great write-up once again. How does Aasimar compare to Half Orc for this style of build? I figured Half Orc would be the best race for Kensei since you could double up on guaranteed crits to combine with adrenaline.

Also, how well would this build function for someone with far less racial points?
    Princze/Dazneus of Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post
    > it sounds pretty good

Play with it instead of doing a paper-based analysis and tell me you still think it's pretty good. I'd use pejoratives to describe how unhappy I am with it if I wouldn't get a forum ban.

im not that sure about the leveler, it seems great for trash, but trash already dies so fast
    Last edited by Hobgoblin; 11-10-2021 at 10:34 PM.

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

I have it on my main atm, also a kensei. It has some uses, but the pause before it hits is pretty long, and I seem to notice a pause after the attack again before I can resume hitting. I am not impressed with it.
    DDO: If a problem cannot be solved by the application of DPS, you're not applying enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    Why didn't you take the great leveler? Combined with adrenaline it sounds pretty good - AOE critical on everything in front of you. The cool down is kind of long.

I think the idea of a max dodge fighter is solid for U51 in comparison to barbarian.
    Leveller is ok if mobs are standing and fighting you while you're the party's tank. During a more active combat it lands really bad. If you're talking about AoE critical damage, rally from LD just do better specially if combined with dire charge .

I like your build carpone, specially the take on GrandMaster now. I always wanted to create a kensei fighter using it and it looks like its the time for that. Will take inspiration on your build.
    Last edited by DaviMOC; 11-11-2021 at 04:56 AM.

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfAsphodel View Post
    How does Aasimar compare to Half Orc for this style of build?
    Horc is a great race, but requires a ton of racial AP to maximize. If you do that, then you have to drop VKF. Not saying a Horc version isn't viable, but it's different. You can get Haste Boost from Kensei, shift some Destiny AP to pick up Deflect Arrows, but you'll be shy some doublestrike.

how well would this build function for someone with far less racial points?
    As you'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfAsphodel View Post
    Also, how well would this build function for someone with far less racial points?
    drop Vistani, take Haste Boost in Kensei.
    16 racial tree, 41 Kensei, rest in Falconry (23 if you only have 80 AP).

You will probably have far less Destiny AP as well, in which case you are stuck with Fury Mantle.
    52 DP: 35 Fury / 13 SD / 4 GMoF (stunning bonuses)
    If you have a few more DP, put into GMoF for A Dance of Flowers.

Community Member PrinceOfAsphodel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magaiti View Post
    drop Vistani, take Haste Boost in Kensei.
    16 racial tree, 41 Kensei, rest in Falconry (23 if you only have 80 AP).

You will probably have far less Destiny AP as well, in which case you are stuck with Fury Mantle.
    52 DP: 35 Fury / 13 SD / 4 GMoF (stunning bonuses)
    If you have a few more DP, put into GMoF for A Dance of Flowers.
    Yeah, that checks out. Thanks for the input.
    Princze/Dazneus of Cannith

Revamped the EDs to drop LD for GMOF. Much happier with the Serenity mantle over Mantle of Fury.

Fighter vs. Barb: Fighter gives me the tools+DCs I want. Also, I prefer Light Armor for the 28% Dodge bonus (30% is feasible). With Meld gone, I prefer the higher Dodge.

Don't know about Insightful Combat Mastery. Currently leveling through epics to get the last few destiny points I need, so can't verify.
    insightful Combat Mastery DOES stack with Know The Angeles trance. Not sure it's WAI (probably shouldn't do imo) but I tested it only yesterday and it stacked.

On a more minor point, going barb doesn't prevent light armour use to push dodge. It's the way to go for high R on melee in general imo, and my barb is sitting on 30% standing capped dodge in R. I guess fighters could improve on that a wee bit but I don't see it as a significant class differential.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkwier View Post
    insightful Combat Mastery DOES stack with Know The Angeles trance. Not sure it's WAI (probably shouldn't do imo) but I tested it only yesterday and it stacked.
    Probably not WAI, as they eventually sorted out and fixed Insightful Deadly and Insightful Accuracy to not stack with Trances. Though chances are it will get unattended for a long time.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkwier View Post
    On a more minor point, going barb doesn't prevent light armour use to push dodge. It's the way to go for high R on melee in general imo, and my barb is sitting on 30% standing capped dodge in R. I guess fighters could improve on that a wee bit but I don't see it as a significant class differential.
    The build could get a 36 dodge cap if he took the kensei agility enhancement, but it's capped by the MDB of the red dragon armor. I don't think a barbarian wearing that armor would be able to get 30MDB it would be 27 with mobility. In general a fighter would have about 20% more dodge than a barbarian in the same light armor, due to MDB or dodge cap.

I don't think barbarian get any MDB related enhancements. If this build wasn't about maximizing damage a fighter could get 3 more MDB from Stalwart for 4 AP increasing the MDB to 33 with the extra point in lithe. So, fighter does have some dodge options that barbarians don't, but it doesn't necessarily fit in this build.
    Last edited by Synthetic; 11-15-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Great build, and its giving me some ideas for my fighter. I run a Aasmir THF Fighter as well, but built a little more defensively pre-U51. I have been running some class lives to get completionist (she is already a racial completionist) since the update dropped and I have been wondering what direction to go in once that is done. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Member: Circle of Night (Cristyle Sunn, Grygor Sunn, WarChild Sunn)
    Magic is a curious thing; full of hope and promise one minute, then someone summons a t-rex jet fighter to kill you.

Community Member

This is sweet Carpone. thanks for posting it. It's good to see the benchmarks that are needed.

great read

in your breakdown you state insightful bonuses to tactics twice

Complete write up is available in Google Docs because it is too long for the forum software to handle. It includes gear sets and a breakdown of all important stats.

I ran this build through ~400 R10 quests in U50, and have updated it for U51 after running 20 R10s. Lots of fun to play on a work-in-progress toon (still a dozen EPLs left to do, only 85 reaper points, barely a completionist, etc).
    Could you explain your thoughts on why you put points into Vistani when so many ranks are about daggers and knives and not two handed weapons? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast