Community Member

Default Thinking of updating Mac OS

Hi everyone. I am thinking about updating to the new MacOS in a couple of weeks, once 12.1 comes out. Currently running 10.14 which I believe is the most updated version that will support the 32 bit Wine client. Anyone having any luck with playing in a OS 11 environment? I assume that the only way to go will be a windows emulator or Bootcamp (if Apple still has it). The Wine client is that last legacy application that I use these days so the case for not updating is not as strong as it was for me last October.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by JQP View Post
    Hi everyone. I am thinking about updating to the new MacOS in a couple of weeks, once 12.1 comes out. Currently running 10.14 which I believe is the most updated version that will support the 32 bit Wine client. Anyone having any luck with playing in a OS 11 environment? I assume that the only way to go will be a windows emulator or Bootcamp (if Apple still has it). The Wine client is that last legacy application that I use these days so the case for not updating is not as strong as it was for me last October.
    Can't think of why it won't work. Unless you have an M1 Mac. I got the ARM version of Windows 11 running great on my M1, but DDO wouldn't play. Got all the way to logging onto a server, then nothing.

But on an Intel Mac? Should work fine. Unless DDO is having general Windows 11 issues (even on Windows machines).

Community Member

Default DDO and the M1 Mac Saga...

Quote Originally Posted by Dimwhit1 View Post
    Can't think of why it won't work. Unless you have an M1 Mac. I got the ARM version of Windows 11 running great on my M1, but DDO wouldn't play. Got all the way to logging onto a server, then nothing.

But on an Intel Mac? Should work fine. Unless DDO is having general Windows 11 issues (even on Windows machines).
    Hello, mate.

Try entering "options" before you enter a server. Then select "32-bit client" instead of "64-bit client".

I guess it will work.

Cya

Quote Originally Posted by Drakk_Northon View Post
    Hello, mate.

Try entering "options" before you enter a server. Then select "32-bit client" instead of "64-bit client".

I guess it will work.

Cya

This works for me. Trying to use the 64-bit client on Windows 11 ARM on an M1 Mac crashes the client immediately. Selecting the 32-bit client, things work fine. Though it does crash a bit more often when zoning than I see on BootCamp Macs.

I have found performance (MacMini M1 with 16GB, 4k screens), better than expected.

Community Member

Default New Machine

I ended up getting a new MacBook with and M1 chip. Bootcamp is not an option. Has anyone had any success with Crossover?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by JQP View Post
    I ended up getting a new MacBook with and M1 chip. Bootcamp is not an option. Has anyone had any success with Crossover?
    100% works on my macbook pro m1.
    Devilish, Cascabel and Heckboy on Cannith

Community Member

Exclamation MAC Osx Monterey

I recently had my Mac fixed up, and it was updated to Monterey.
    When I've tried to reinstall DDO, I don't get anything but this small window popping up.

needs to be updated.
    The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of macOS. Contact the developer for more information.

Anyone have any thoughts for a guy who isn't tech-sophisticated (which is an immense understatement) ?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

P.S.
    Tried to reinstall DDO, and got this message: “DDO” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.
    Again, any thought or advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Dassex; 02-01-2022 at 10:10 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dassex View Post
    I recently had my Mac fixed up, and it was updated to Monterey.
    When I've tried to reinstall DDO, I don't get anything but this small window popping up.

needs to be updated.
    The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of macOS. Contact the developer for more information.

Anyone have any thoughts for a guy who isn't tech-sophisticated (which is an immense understatement) ?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

P.S.
    Tried to reinstall DDO, and got this message: “DDO” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.
    Again, any thought or advice would be appreciated.
    Hi Dassex,

I've been trying to get DDO to run on my new Mac for a couple months now and still no luck.
    I can get you past this point, however.
    If you right click on the DDO Installer and select Open, that same window will pop up, but you will get an option to open it anyway.
    Then you run into the next problem.
    The Python UI window opens up, but nothing happens.
    It is just a blank, black window that disappears after about 30 seconds or so.
    I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to these sorts of things, especially considering I'm new to the MAC world.
    If anyone knows how to make this happen, I would love some help.