Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by bryanmeerkat View Post
    What is it for ?

It's a cleric iconic . That only gets int bonus.

Then some random Dex to hit bonus at high tier for a few weapons .

Not sure what I am supposed to be doing with it ?
    It's for people with +1 hearts to play something int based.
    Bought my first dungeon master's guide in 1992. My favourite part of ddo is coffee and slayers

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmoustakas View Post
    It's for people with +1 hearts to play something int based.
    If you had a +1 heart wouldn't you want to be a deep gnome .

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bryanmeerkat View Post
    If you had a +1 heart wouldn't you want to be a deep gnome .
    Morninglord has some perks in comparison to Deep Gnome:
    - self healing (10,000 HP, 2/day).
    - +3 Spell pen
    - up to about +700 SP with Fey Tap and Arcanum
    - +1 enchant DC

Deep Gnome has great stuff with Illusion Spells especially if you can get good DCs for Phantasmal Killer and Greater Colour Spray is excellent as well. Some neat saves and MRR too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

I generally think not a hell of a lot of thought went into the iconics.

I still scratch my head why Morninglords have +INT and things like Aasimar scourge use two maces when the rest animation in the character screen they are clearly using blades. Also they give them a power which actually kills the character.... ???

They give deep gnomes 4 light hammers....?

PDKs are just reskinned half orcs, they still dance a Haka and are actually uglier than half orcs...and not that much different to a regular fighter

Shadar Kai are just...too weird. Its like they put a BDSM goth/biker hybrid in there from fallout that fell through a portal into D&D land...

Community Member

At the time that Morninglords were made available Warlock was the easy stick power class and Enlightened Spirit/Tainted Scholar was the easiest build to play.

That made 3 Morninglord past lives almost de rigueur in Warlock builds. People shoehorned Morninglords into any number of builds to get there. Then they brought out Cleric domains and it became easy.

Quote Originally Posted by KoobTheProud View Post
    At the time that Morninglords were made available Warlock was the easy stick power class and Enlightened Spirit/Tainted Scholar was the easiest build to play.

That made 3 Morninglord past lives almost de rigueur in Warlock builds. People shoehorned Morninglords into any number of builds to get there. Then they brought out Cleric domains and it became easy.
    Morninglords predate the warlock. But it is true that iconics with inadequate race-class and absolutely anti-iconic from the point of view of background has been a commercial trick to sell +1 hearts. Of course, if Turbine hadn't planned it in advance, they took advantage of it as soon as the iconic left Lammania. Bladeforged and PDK were a great source of hearth+1 sales too. This is something that, as a customer, has pretty much tarnished my willingness to spend on this game: I don't like these kinds of dirty tricks.

The early morninglord was a great excuse for wizards and fvs to spend +1 hearts. Later on it was warlocks. Morninglords lost traction for this sale as more iconic and common races were added. But the trend to create iconic anti-iconics is still here, alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    Horizon Walker force damage on arrows only scales with Ranged Power, right? Or did I miss that detail and now need to go find an impulse item for my archer character...

Personally, I read the variety in Morninglord specifically and iconics in general as an attempt to make it appealing to a broad range of characters so its more appealing to buy for a greater variety of players.

I like Morninglord and can think of a variety of builds it can work for:
    - Arcane Archer builds (especially ones with a rogue splash as the extra int helps skills)
    - Wizard builds (as long as we can afford the +1 lesser heart)
    - Cleric (and Favoured Soul) casters that focus on Light spells
    Horizon Walker force damage on arrows only scales with Ranged Power, right?
    That's correct it doesn't scale with spell power.
    it would be quit the arrow if it did.

Morninglord make a fun Artificer build

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    Morninglord make a fun Artificer build
    Because...?
    "The imagination is not … the faculty for forming images of reality; it is the faculty for forming images which go beyond reality..." - Gaston Bachelard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12