Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Community Member

Default Spells

Air Savant Spell Selection

1 - Jump, Sonic Blast, Charm Person, Feather Fall (you don't use either FF or Charm at cap so open to picking whatever)
    2 - Control Undead, Knock, Resist Energy, Web
    3 - Displacement, Heroism, Rage (open slot for your 4th since you have Lightning Bolt SLA)
    4 - Dimension Door, Enervation, Fire Shield, Stoneskin
    5 - Ball Lightning, Cyclonic Blast, Electric Surge, Teleport
    6 - Chain Lightning, Circle of Death, Mass Suggestion
    7 - Finger of Death, Dancing Ball, Protection from Elements Mass
    8 - Greater Shout, Irresistible Dance, Trap the Soul
    9 - Thunderstroke, Hold Monster Mass, Dominate Monster

I am Awesomesauce!

I find Invis a great Lvl 2 spell, the "easy button" for many situations and entire quests. Combined w/ the Air savant's wings effect, it can get you through (literally) many tough spots, even to late heroics*.

(* For example, in Lvl 16 Coal' Chamber (Vale of Twilight) there's a drop down a long shaft where mobs spawn and snipe and cast from the walls, and if you don't thin them out a group can easily trigger a yellow Dungeon Alert. Dropping w/ Invis gets the party through clean, no aggro at all.)

Also, I take the Lightning Bolt spell to go with the SLA - it's a great effect, even if you do have to "pay" for it.

Community Member

I admit I've gotten lazy with Invisible since Reapers break it and you can't always rely on using it. Still, you are correct it does have situational uses should one want to go that way. L2 is a hard spell slot to fit it in although to be fair few people like Control Undead as much as I do. I often get tells in game, "how are you charming undead" so I think many people don't have it in the regular rotation. Resist Energy is one that could be cut as there are other sources for this including a Draconic augment if you have the room.

I am Awesomesauce!

May have to try the undead charm just to see...

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal_Lannes View Post
    I admit I've gotten lazy with Invisible since Reapers break it and you can't always rely on using it.
    Often reapers don't aggro the rest of the mobs around them - if one t-ports to the group by itself, that's usually the last mistake it makes.

True, it requires the entire party get on board and possibly wait a moment() for the effect, and then it only takes one zerg puppy to take a mindless shot at something to break it and ruin the point of invis'ing the whole party.

Easier w/ solo or smaller groups.

Community Member

Yes, Invisible doesn't mesh well with the current PUG zerg 100% DPS methodology in tackling encounters. In static or reliable groups though I can see the merits. Control Undead can be fantastic for speed in places like Wiz King or it can be an absolute party saver in high-reaper Ravenloft. Places like the South Tower are full of skeletons who don't get saves on the spell (not even the arcane skeletons) so they both stop shooting/casting at you, but also they attack the other skeletons taking their agro. And the spell puts the Inevitable dot on them so they are eventually destroyed doing your bidding. It's a really fun spell.

I am Awesomesauce!

Default When to get Improved Scorch?

(slight necro, but on-topic, and this is not a terrible thread to keep alive imo)

So, when do veteran Tiefling Fire Sorcie players recommend getting Improved Scorch? Both the upper Fire Savant tree and the EK Tree compete with it (not to mention that a 2nd Savant tree always lurks at the edges of all this).

IS costs 16 AP, which is a significant investment. You get some offense/defense along the way, so it's not a complete sink, but...

I figure it comes down to a combination of "How valuable is +5% Fire damage?" plus "When do you start to need an on-demand Immunity-to-Fire stripping effect?" (vs. the 20-second cooldown single-target Tier V effect).

Currently, I'm feeling that chasing the Fire tree*, plus some Tiefling cores (For Cha + Fire spellpower), is the way until 13 - then Scorch, then start EK around 14. That sound about right?

(* Actually starting w/ 2 Savant trees (+ Air or Earth) for the early second SLA plus a little juice there, then respec'ing back out of the other around Level 6-8 or so)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123