Community Member

Default THF Pally Build? Str/Cha/Race?

Returning player, looking for help with a build to "get back into things". I TRed out of a 30 barb to get this alchemist past life for Completionist, but don't let that fool you because I basically have no gear. Some L29 sharn stuff from 1-2 runs but not much other than that. No raid gear at all pretty much.

I had fun with Barb, loved the dps and Ravager healing *during* fights, but was having a lot of trouble with sustaining my health between fights, or when there were less trash mobs, and survivability (due to lack of gear mostly) vs spells/saves was bad. Was hard, but could solo some R1, depending on the quest.

Looking for some advice... I'd like to spend some time at 30, grind out some gear, work on epic past lives, get to learn the new game a bit. I was thinking I may be better off running a THF paladin, rather than barb, with the help of the built in defense/self healing, it may help with the gear disparity. Is that idea wrong, and would I be better off as a Barb, since they require less stats/gear? Do Paladins fall behind dps-wise vs Barbs, or other classes? I'd like to keep melee, maybe even a melee-based druid, or something with some utility, since that's more my playstyle (I've always been a fan of monks, paladins, druids... things like that). Would love any advice at all, I have a lot of questions but not sure where to ask them other than here... Hoping in the end I could work out a build, or have some help there, so I'm a bit less lost as to what's going on. Please do respond as if I know nothing - because I feel like I do! Even the small details would be super helpful.

Thank you in advance!

I'm running a very straightforward CHA Dragonborn 2HF pally. I picked 2HF over SWF since I have a large greatsword collection and I couldn't figure out how to do SWF bsword without PDK.

It's almost stupid easy, I have modest PLs (4 racial AP points) +6 tomes and ~40 reaper points and it's stupid easy. The only thing you actually need is Feydark Illusionist unlocked.

If you have more than +2 tome at STR, your build is:

Stats:
    STR: 15 You need 15 STR to qualify for 2HF
    DEX: dump
    CON: 18
    INT: put wahtever you have left here
    WIS: dump
    CHA: 18 (or 20 if you have more tomes).

Feats:
    1 - THF
    3 - Magical Training
    6 - ITHF
    9 - Imp Crit Slash
    12 - GTHF
    15 - ??? Choice
    18. - ??? Choice

You need 7 AP in Feydark to get CHA hit/dmg, then fill out KotC, then SD. Hit things with sword, profit.
    Kodraith / Xanxibar / Xinibar / Lensgrinder :: Lava Divers of Khyber :: I'm a monk. I hit things; it's what I do.

Do you have Bladeforged as a race to play?

They make pretty good pallies and Greatswords are the favored weapon of the Lord of Blades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Intensik View Post
    Returning player, looking for help with a build to "get back into things". I TRed out of a 30 barb to get this alchemist past life for Completionist, but don't let that fool you because I basically have no gear. Some L29 sharn stuff from 1-2 runs but not much other than that. No raid gear at all pretty much.

I had fun with Barb, loved the dps and Ravager healing *during* fights, but was having a lot of trouble with sustaining my health between fights, or when there were less trash mobs, and survivability (due to lack of gear mostly) vs spells/saves was bad. Was hard, but could solo some R1, depending on the quest.

Looking for some advice... I'd like to spend some time at 30, grind out some gear, work on epic past lives, get to learn the new game a bit. I was thinking I may be better off running a THF paladin, rather than barb, with the help of the built in defense/self healing, it may help with the gear disparity. Is that idea wrong, and would I be better off as a Barb, since they require less stats/gear? Do Paladins fall behind dps-wise vs Barbs, or other classes? I'd like to keep melee, maybe even a melee-based druid, or something with some utility, since that's more my playstyle (I've always been a fan of monks, paladins, druids... things like that). Would love any advice at all, I have a lot of questions but not sure where to ask them other than here... Hoping in the end I could work out a build, or have some help there, so I'm a bit less lost as to what's going on. Please do respond as if I know nothing - because I feel like I do! Even the small details would be super helpful.

Thank you in advance!
    Pure paladin is pretty straightforward, build it like a barb with THF, Imp Crit, PA if you're doing heroic lives, Precision if staying at cap. I also like Quicken for Resurrection spells in a tight spot, but you can get it from Fatesinger if you use that ED. 41 KotC, 31 Defender, rest whatever. Load Bless, Prayer, Angelskin, Righteous Command, Holy Sword and Zeal spells, and your good to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Do you have Bladeforged as a race to play?

They make pretty good pallies and Greatswords are the favored weapon of the Lord of Blades.
    Every pure pally probably pick Geatsword as Favored Weapon from KotC, so you're not really limited to BF. T2: Longsword, Battle Axe, Heavy Mace, Morningstar, and War Hammer, T3:Greatsword

Community Member

Thank you all for the replies.

Kodwraith - Thank you, that breakdown helps. I'll note that down. I'll throw something together in a planner, I have +4 tomes so I'll figure out the stat allocation. I'll also unlock feydark, I've been meaning to anyway. I take it that CHA pally > STR pally then it seems?

Arkat - I do have Bladeforged, I'll probably stay away from it though and play a fleshy (usually just prefer that way).

Palna - Thank you for the enhancement breakdown. The other 7 points I assume would get thrown into feydark for CHA to hit/dmg? As far as destinies go, is Fatesinger the standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Intensik View Post
    Thank you all for the replies.

Kodwraith - Thank you, that breakdown helps. I'll note that down. I'll throw something together in a planner, I have +4 tomes so I'll figure out the stat allocation. I'll also unlock feydark, I've been meaning to anyway. I take it that CHA pally > STR pally then it seems?

Arkat - I do have Bladeforged, I'll probably stay away from it though and play a fleshy (usually just prefer that way).

Palna - Thank you for the enhancement breakdown. The other 7 points I assume would get thrown into feydark for CHA to hit/dmg? As far as destinies go, is Fatesinger the standard?
    If you do cha-based then you need the AP for feydark or PDK, PDK is more tactics but ugly...

If you want to do cha-based, then I think Fatesinger is the best choice. For str-based Fatesinger, LD or even Fury can be good choices (Fury and defender stance doesn't mix though)

-
    I wouldn't say CHA > STR. They're different tradeoffs. Other, much better players have their own opinions.

CHA gives you more save bonuses, but requires 1 feat + 7 AP in Feydark you could have put someplace else (or 3AP and a +1 heart if you're a PDK to get rid of the fighter level). STR is nice too and if you are going to run Stunnning Blow, then you want STR. STR also is a better choice if you're going to run Fury of the Wild. You could run STR human pally, bash things in with the PowerAttack feat and a GSword and be quite happy. No tomes, feats or AP required.

For me, I happened to have a lot of CHA gear already built/scrounged and I didn't take Stunning Blow, so CHA for more saves and UMD. I'm not a min/max player by any stretch, so I run CHA, spend the 7 AP and maintain a large collection of GSwords. If you play some exotic deep splash in Sorc/Lock or something CHA can give you more synergy with casting, but for pure pally, it's not relevant.

The only thing you'll need to watch out for is stat requirements for THF line. I usually take Quicken and Precision at 15 and 18. If you run Fatesinger you can get Quicken for free. I usually take Extend since I hate continually clicking on buffs. I try to fit in Empower healing, but I usually can't heal enough for the CCW to make that much of a difference. You get GSword as a favored weapon from KotC tree, which you're going to put most of your points into anyway.

BTW you mentioned in your OP that you wanted to spend some time at cap doing raids and farming gear. This build holds up pretty well at cap. It's not the heavily specialized DC caster or exotic tank build, but it's quite respectable. Monk is pretty well dead at cap which makes me sad. I haven't tried melee druid, but if you build up enough items, you shoudl be able to jsut run.

One build you might also consider is WF melee focused favored soul (or melee cleric). In that case you really do need to be WF since you need LoB as your diety. The gear is very similar to a CHA pally if you can squeeze in some more spell power but you have way more self healing.
    Last edited by Kodwraith; 09-21-2021 at 12:00 PM.
    Kodraith / Xanxibar / Xinibar / Lensgrinder :: Lava Divers of Khyber :: I'm a monk. I hit things; it's what I do.

Str based in fury is quite impressive. You will use edf over def stance as adrenaline is considered raged so cant use in stance. To get trip and stunning blow to land in r10 you will have to do some investing. You still invest in cha as backup to str for dm and saves and holy retrubuition. Exalted adrenalin are an eye poppin number. Alot of thf benefits in fury including more strikethru
    Khyber IN BAD COMPANY Longand Drunkmage Sexyheals Fullforce