Community Member

Default This Game Seems to Need a Major Under the Hood Update

I remember playing this game quite a long time ago and it was pretty fun. I came back to try and start playing it again, but it is just way way way too much work to get it running. I installed through Steam and it wouldn't launch at all. After some extensive research, I found that there were some files that apparently needed to be installed to get the game working...old files that no one uses anymore. I did all that and then had to sit through more than 20 minutes of downloading updates after I already downloaded the game to get it to whatever the current version is...and I definitely do not have a slow internet connection. After doing all that, I start the game and when I try to crank up the graphics (you know, to use on the expensive computer I paid lots of money to have a good visual experience with), the game crashes and tells me I need directx 9 or newer. Well, I'm running with directX 12, so why is this a problem? It's clear to me that rather than keeping the software up to date with reasonably relevant tech, they expect the player base to do all the grunt work to figure it out on their own rather than put some effort into making the game easy to play. I love a challenge in my gaming, but I don't want to spend hours just figuring out how to get into it. This is a great way to turn people off from gaming experience before they even get into the game at all.

The whole thing needs some kind of structural rebuild and re-release so that there is a single installation that just works "out of the box" on a reasonably modern machine.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gunthrek View Post
    I remember playing this game quite a long time ago and it was pretty fun. I came back to try and start playing it again, but it is just way way way too much work to get it running. I installed through Steam and it wouldn't launch at all. After some extensive research, I found that there were some files that apparently needed to be installed to get the game working...old files that no one uses anymore. I did all that and then had to sit through more than 20 minutes of downloading updates after I already downloaded the game to get it to whatever the current version is...and I definitely do not have a slow internet connection. After doing all that, I start the game and when I try to crank up the graphics (you know, to use on the expensive computer I paid lots of money to have a good visual experience with), the game crashes and tells me I need directx 9 or newer. Well, I'm running with directX 12, so why is this a problem? It's clear to me that rather than keeping the software up to date with reasonably relevant tech, they expect the player base to do all the grunt work to figure it out on their own rather than put some effort into making the game easy to play. I love a challenge in my gaming, but I don't want to spend hours just figuring out how to get into it. This is a great way to turn people off from gaming experience before they even get into the game at all.

The whole thing needs some kind of structural rebuild and re-release so that there is a single installation that just works "out of the box" on a reasonably modern machine.
    Hahahah!