Thumbs up Request: Swashable shortbow

I've never understood why Bards have shortbows as a class-granted proficiency but yet are unable to Swash with it? Pretty much makes the whole thing pointless...

@Dev's please consider allowing this!

Thanks in advance!

Smoke

I mean npc mobs try....they make bows two handed weapons

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Inquisitive enables Swashbuckling with light crossbows, so I think it makes sense if Horizon Walker enables Swashbuckling with shortbows. I don't think anyone is going to complain this change suddenly makes bardchers "too OP" or whatever.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Inquisitive enables Swashbuckling with light crossbows, so I think it makes sense if Horizon Walker enables Swashbuckling with shortbows. I don't think anyone is going to complain this change suddenly makes bardchers "too OP" or whatever.

Would rather see this added as a direct part of the Swashbuckler tree. Otherwise it just makes building a Shortbow Swashing-Bard a very convoluted thing to just apply band-aids to an already existing enh-tree.

Then there’s the competency bonus, which considering that light-crossbows get nothing, it would come as no surprise that Shortbow would be treated the same. Bear in mind that I’ve never seen a light-crossbow using Bard, which says a lot for its synergy within the rest of the tree.

Dev’s care to chime in on this please?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Elf AA/HW/Swash would be the only conceivable reason why I could imagine Inqui Swash is OK but HW Swash would not be...that's really the only thing that's compatible with Bows but not compatible with Xbows. Monkcher obviously isnt a thing anymore and cant be done with Bard regardless.

But I cant really think of how that would be grossly OP either. AA is at best a support tree, and HW wasnt exactly blasting it out of the park either on the preview.

@droid327

But have you even seen a Swashing light-crossbow Bard? After 15 years I’ve never seen “1”, which says a whole lot for how utterly pointless it would be to try it. IMO this is the single biggest issue with Bards as a viable class. They’re either Warchanters or buff-bots but not much else. (Thrower builds are super lame)

All I’m asking, is for the Class to diversify by adding ranged options for the weapon proficiency (Shortbow) Bards already own. All that is needed is to open up the enh-trees to provide direct support for its use.
    Last edited by Smokewolf; 07-22-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokewolf View Post
    -- (Thrower builds are super lame) --
    Why must you hurt me this way?

But I agree, Shortbow should def be included.
    NONVIOLENCE IS MY NAME. LORE IS MY GAME!

Quote Originally Posted by SoVeryBelgian View Post
    Why must you hurt me this way?

But I agree, Shortbow should def be included.
    Wasn't trying to be mean, just factual.