Default Dual Wield Scimitar - build advice

OK so i am thinking of creating a character surrounding the new Scimitar from the Dryad raid.

its fire spec ... so i was thinking ... race Tiefling so i can use scorch to take away fire immunity and then go to town ... but i am not sure what will be the best end game class ... Tempest Ranger ... kensai fighter ... Druid (not sure what form) ..palidan??? ... or barbarian? ... or something i am not thinking of?

no completionist feat ... but always do at least one past life ..

if its not past life or racial past life required what do you think is the best end game dual wield dps wisdom based build. I am leaning toward tempest ranger ... but would love to hear some other options that are both high dps and fun to play (of course combo builds are always welcome ... have also been thinking of 6 ranger rest fighter for extra feats and kensai tempest mix or ranger rouge mix so i can increase dps with extra sneak attack damage?)
    Hack n Slash Gaming - Streaming DDO and PS4 games on Twitch starting September 15th - join the revolution
    [])])])])])])[]]??????????????????????????
    Quote Originally Posted by magnus1 View Post
    drfirewater... thanks for being the voice of reason!

Community Member

Is this just for flavor or do you actually want it to be good?

14 fighter 6 Elven Cleric of the Undying Court
    Take Empower healing, Maximize, Mental Toughness down the line and you still have enough combat Feats to do whatever you want while still be able to moderately heal yourself especially once you twist in cocoon in epics with option for Aura and three trees to amp scimitar in if I am remembering right and elves get bonuses.
    It wouldn't be much an aura unless you gear up but it will save lives occasionally.
    A bit more beefy compared to Paladin.
    The cleric levels also allow less UMD for divine scrolls.
    It just might be a nuisance without investing in heal and concentration so tomes are necessary imo otherwise a quicken added in might be a good idea too especially with the CMW SLA.
    Last edited by Enderoc; 06-14-2021 at 10:42 AM.

32 points is difficult situation, speaking from experience.. I have a Dual Scimitar wielding Battle Cleric that I have just concluded their 34 point build life, and a ER/TR are in their very near future.

EDIT - My brain was on autopilot as I wrote this up. My original life was a Str build. I read my scribbles for a past life and simply typed them in below, without correcting to a Wis Build. I am currently working on a 36 point build, to use this focusing on Wis rather than strength. Wood elf was better choice for me as it gave higher con and access to Undying Court.

For 32 points I went 12 Cleric, 6 Fighter and 2 Monk - Wood Elf

These numbers aren't exact. I didn't seem to write it down as I was a quick run to 30 and was a Str Build. With a Wis Build the numbers will be slightly different.
    18 Str
    8 Dex
    16 Con
    8 Int
    8 Wis
    14 Cha

Feats; TWF, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, adept/master of forms weapon focus slashing, quicken, improved crit, overwhelming critical, dire chare, Scion of the Astral Plane

Skills, heal, concentration.

It actually was a difficult build to play until level 26ish, than everything started to click (feats, epic destines, and gear).

For 34 I stepped out of the above box to a 9/8/3 build that was fairly fun to play until epics and than it blew chunks. It never clicked in epics and was one of the worst game play experiences I have had.

For 36 I am going back to 12/6/2 split but haven't nailed it down point wise yet.
    Last edited by GoldyGopher; 06-14-2021 at 01:02 PM.

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

Quote Originally Posted by TFerguson View Post
    Is this just for flavor or do you actually want it to be good?
    yeah a bit of both ... i want to hit as high dps as i can but not by sacrificing enjoyment of play.

key factor is building around the new scimitar ... a class and race combo that will maximize its benifits from that. leaning toward dual wield but the cleric build idea seems like it could work well sword and board too.
    Last edited by Drfirewater79; 06-14-2021 at 12:03 PM.
    Hack n Slash Gaming - Streaming DDO and PS4 games on Twitch starting September 15th - join the revolution

Quote Originally Posted by Enderoc View Post
    14 fighter 6 Elven Cleric of the Undying Court
    Take Empower healing, Maximize, Mental Toughness down the line and you still have enough combat Feats to do whatever you want while still be able to moderately heal yourself especially once you twist in cocoon in epics with option for Aura and three trees to amp scimitar in if I am remembering right and elves get bonuses.
    It wouldn't be much an aura unless you gear up but it will save lives occasionally.
    A bit more beefy compared to Paladin.
    The cleric levels also allow less UMD for divine scrolls.
    It just might be a nuisance without investing in heal and concentration so tomes are necessary imo otherwise a quicken added in might be a good idea too especially with the CMW SLA.
    yeah didnt even think cleric ... hmmm that seems like an interesting thing .. aura healing and full heal/aoe heals while also smashing down ..

would it still be wisdom focus ... and how do you get around the fire immunity ... or do you think its not that big a deal and there are other ways to get around it?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldyGopher View Post
    32 points is difficult situation, speaking from experience.. I have a Dual Scimitar wielding Battle Cleric that I have just concluded thier 34 point build life, and a ER/TR are in their very near future.

For 32 points I went 12 Cleric, 6 Fighter and 2 Monk - Wood Elf

These numbers aren't exact. I didn't seem to write it down as I was a quick run to 30.
    18 Str
    8 Dex
    16 Con
    8 Int
    8 Wis
    14 Cha

Feats; TWF, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, adept/master of forms weapon focus slashing, quicken, improved crit, overwhelming critical, dire chare, Scion of the Astral Plane

Skills, heal, concentration.

It actually was a difficult build to play until level 26ish, than everything started to click (feats, epic destines, and gear).

For 34 I stepped out of the above box to a 9/8/3 build that was fairly fun to play until epics and than it blew chunks. It never clicked in epics and was one of the worst game play experiences I have had.

For 36 I am going back to 12/6/2 split but haven't nailed it down point wise yet.
    only down side is the scimitar is wis to hit and damage ... as far as i know its still the highest dps scimitar in the game so far ... so str build doesnt work ... could try the same thing with wisdom main stat con and cha as balanced secondary. i am guessing this would be sword and board rather than dual weild?

Quote Originally Posted by Drfirewater79 View Post
    only down side is the scimitar is wis to hit and damage ... as far as i know its still the highest dps scimitar in the game so far ... so str build doesnt work ... could try the same thing with wisdom main stat con and cha as balanced secondary. i am guessing this would be sword and board rather than dual weild?

Sorry my brain was on autopilot.
    Originally was a Str Build, changed to Wisdom build... Still working on a layout for 36 point as a Wisdom build.

The Idea is the same - just built slightly differently for numbers. I think it was 18 Wisdom - End Wisdom self buffed will be 106, with access to Falconry.
    Last edited by GoldyGopher; 06-14-2021 at 12:51 PM.

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

yeah didnt even think cleric ... hmmm that seems like an interesting thing .. aura healing and full heal/aoe heals while also smashing down ..

would it still be wisdom focus ... and how do you get around the fire immunity ... or do you think its not that big a deal and there are other ways to get around it?
    I mean if you want something to bypass fire...Tiefling Fire Savant probably bard 3/17 sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Enderoc View Post
    I mean if you want something to bypass fire...Tiefling Fire Savant probably bard 3/17 sorcerer
    Yeah that is what i was talking about.

i figure i need about 17 ap for Tiefling ... i will have enough items to get me enough sps that i can use the scorch to remove the fire immunity when needed for fire types like i do now on my sorc.

The only problem with the bard sorc build is wisdom is the main stat for the weapon ... not sure if things like the cha to hit and damage from feydark illusionist applies to this weapon as well .. and even if it did i think the cha cha kphoesh would probably do as much if not more damage over time ...

its tricky that they would put a weapon like this so awesome i theory but trying to maximize a build for it is quite difficult

Quote Originally Posted by GoldyGopher View Post
    Sorry my brain was on autopilot.
    Originally was a Str Build, changed to Wisdom build... Still working on a layout for 36 point as a Wisdom build.

The Idea is the same - just built slightly differently for numbers. I think it was 18 Wisdom - End Wisdom self buffed will be 106, with access to Falconry.
    Nice .. so if i did 18 ap for teifling to get the removal of fire immunity and extra fire damage on melee .. use 8 fighter levels to improve twf and feats for melee and go kensai ... and 12 cleric will increase spell points give me native heals and aura and the deity focus to get a bonus on scimitars?

That sounds like it could be a fairly versatile build ... could hold back and do healing if needed could come forward with melee dps .. wisdom focus meets all the ticks.

is the 12 cleric just to get access to heal spell so you dont have to UMD? rather than 6 or 8?

Nice .. so if i did 18 ap for teifling to get the removal of fire immunity and extra fire damage on melee .. use 8 fighter levels to improve twf and feats for melee and go kensai ... and 12 cleric will increase spell points give me native heals and aura and the deity focus to get a bonus on scimitars?

That sounds like it could be a fairly versatile build ... could hold back and do healing if needed could come forward with melee dps .. wisdom focus meets all the ticks.

is the 12 cleric just to get access to heal spell so you dont have to UMD? rather than 6 or 8?
    It may sound counter intuitive but I found the 32 point build I played far more "versatile" than the 34 point build. I had more healing when needed and the DPS was about the same.

On my 34 point Build (second life) I started out as a strength build with a 9C/8F/3M split, utilizing UMD for additional healing and putting a few extra points Kensei. I found it played better for leveling 1-20, than 20-30. In Epics I didn't seem, to have the DPS or Healing to really be effective. When I pulled my first Valorious (on my first run at 29) I did a lesser reincarnation to a Wisdom build dropping something akin to 10 Wood Elf, 25 Falconry, 15 War Priest and 33 Kensei in enhancements. I really didn't stay at cap long, but I still suffered some shortcomings.

By going 12 Cleric, you get Level 6 Spells (yes heal), additional spell points, and Beloved of the Undying Court (+2 to Hit and Damage with Scimitars). I really wanted to go 14 Cleric (to get Holy Sword from War Domain) but I am not sure I can make that work at the moment as you need five fighter and two monk.

Six Fighter gives an extra feat over 5 Fighter and the same BAB, with 12 Cleric.

Using Divine Favor and Divine Power, DP works better on a Strength Build but it does give you a BAB of 25.

I have thought about using Divine Might in Warpriest (Charisma Trance) rather than Deadly instinct, which is what I tired on my 34 build life. That's a lot more damage with Deadly Instinct, as my Wisdom was 32 points higher.